Skoda Drive app now supports WiFi Direct

Connect using standard WiFi and use your phone to browse to the config page at 192.168.123.1

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This also works on WiFi Direct mode. Just have to ensure that Smartgate App has an active WiFi Direct mode to the Smartgate module. Then open up your browser and change a value in the web form and press Save, then it should take you to a page which handles rebooting - you have to reboot the module after transmit power change so just go ahead and clilck the Reboot-button as well. You do reboot it anyways all the time when you press car ignition on and off.

BR,

-mok

This also works on WiFi Direct mode. Just have to ensure that Smartgate App has an active WiFi Direct mode to the Smartgate module. Then open up your browser and change a value in the web form and press Save, then it should take you to a page which handles rebooting - you have to reboot the module after transmit power change so just go ahead and clilck the Reboot-button as well. You do reboot it anyways all the time when you press car ignition on and off.

BR,

-mok

Noticed yesterday that when running in WiFi Direct mode, you can still connect to the normal SmartGate module's WLAN and access the web page within that network context. Naturally, the Apps do not work nor does the SmartGate App connection (I had it on client mode: WiFi Direct.

By the way, I'm building a Tasker automation script to my Android. It's not final yet, but if I manage to get something easy to use and reliable together, I can share the Tasker profile. Currently I'm scanning if the Smartgate WLAN is near, the phone disconnects from my home network if it's connected to it and then starts up the Skoda Apps. 2nd task is vice versa - once the Smartgate module WLAN goes offline (=car powered off), the task starts to kill the Skoda Apps.

BR,

-mok

EDIT: terminology

How are you getting on with your Tasker script? I've done something similar.

When the phone connects to the cars bluetooth it waits 30 seconds then launches the drive app. 

The problem is that drive doesn't always find and connect to the wifi direct signal from the car but opening smartgate can help.

How are you getting on with your Tasker script? I've done something similar.

When the phone connects to the cars bluetooth it waits 30 seconds then launches the drive app. 

The problem is that drive doesn't always find and connect to the wifi direct signal from the car but opening smartgate can help.

Hi, i'm pretty much in the same spot as you. I've got "Near <Wlan>" as a trigger but I'm kinda stuck if and when Smartgate and / or Drive Apps lose or do not handshake properly in the beginning of connection formation. I've been searching on how to get a printout of a established WiFi Direct connection but on Tasker it's on the To-Do List and as I'm running unrooted and won't accept rooting to be the answer (business phone etc) I'm currently thinking on how to solve this situation. What I have been able to do is this but it's not foolproof since I can't get status / connection data from WiFi Direct nor SmartGate App nor Drive App:

Trigger: Near Skoda's SmartGate WLAN, test method: compare SSID

1) Test net; Type: Wifi SSID, Store result in %WIFISSID

2) Flash %WIFISSID (Debug printout)

3) WiFi Net: If still connected to Home WLAN instead of Skoda's SmartGate, disconnect the WiFi

4) Wait: 8 seconds

5) Launch App: SmartGate App

6) Wait: 10 seconds

7) Launch App: Skoda Drive App

8) Launch App: Skoda Service App

The kill task is just killing the Skoda Apps with timeouts. Trigger to that is "NOT Near Skoda's SmartGate WLAN". The main challenge currently is to verify that on the App (SmartGate App & Skoda Drive App) and OS level the WiFi Direct connection and data flow works. I'm trying to figure out a way to query status. This is my first real Tasker script so it'll take some time in general and if the situation really is so poor in monitoring WiFi Direct connection .... well, it doesn't look good. It quite weird that the SmartGate App can be connected fine but still Drive App can stay disconnected and the two apps do not fix it automatically by themselves. Usually need to run manually the startup script and then it just suddenly works.

I'm also still getting random disconnects from my SmartGate Module and S5. Also, I'm getting random failed BT handshakes and have to activate the BT connection manually as well. Could be that my phone is dying or just the fact that I'm running the BT modules on both ends as hidden.

BR,

-mok

EDIT: flow, typos, links

Edited by mok
  • Like 1

Thanks I'll have some time this weekend to have a play so I'll take a look at your workflow and see whether I can spot any different ways of doing things. 

I also get disconnects - someone else suggested it could be your phone trying to connect to an open wifi network so I'll disable that option in android settings. 

My phone sometimes deletes the bluetooth pairing and forgets that it knows the car resulting in it asking for confirmation again. This bugs me because part of one of my tasker profiles is to disable keylock when connected to my car.

Can someone else try this on their Android phone please - I started having some odd WiFi issues, failed authentication etc and having to turn WiFi off and back on again to get it to connect to almost anything. I thought I would delete all of my saved wireless networks and re-enter them as needed. So, I deleted all of the saved wireless networks. Turned wireless off and back on again and lo and behold all of the networks I had just deleted came back! So I deleted them again, 10 minutes later they had all re-appeared.

After a bit of trial and error I uninstalled the SmartGate App, deleted all of the wireless networks, and none of them came back. I have reinstalled SmartGate and all is fine now, and it seems to connect to the car a lot faster as well.

Not sure if this is a bug with the Smartgate App, but it looked like all of my saved wireless networks had been corrupted somehow.

Thanks I'll have some time this weekend to have a play so I'll take a look at your workflow and see whether I can spot any different ways of doing things. 

I also get disconnects - someone else suggested it could be your phone trying to connect to an open wifi network so I'll disable that option in android settings. 

My phone sometimes deletes the bluetooth pairing and forgets that it knows the car resulting in it asking for confirmation again. This bugs me because part of one of my tasker profiles is to disable keylock when connected to my car.

Ok, sounds nice regarding the Tasker script. Any effort in automating this and getting it as waterproof as we can is great. I noticed that a shell command "ifconfig wlan0" gives results but only when connected on a normal WLAN connection. One can easily store that into a variable within Tasker. This command also doesn't need root. I haven't had the time to investigate more, but I'm fairly sure there must be some kind of state / connection status query possibility using either Android's shell tools or digging around /proc and /sys values.

Thanks for the disconnection trouble info. It seems I'm not alone.

BR,

-mok

Edited by mok

Can someone else try this on their Android phone please - I started having some odd WiFi issues, failed authentication etc and having to turn WiFi off and back on again to get it to connect to almost anything. I thought I would delete all of my saved wireless networks and re-enter them as needed. So, I deleted all of the saved wireless networks. Turned wireless off and back on again and lo and behold all of the networks I had just deleted came back! So I deleted them again, 10 minutes later they had all re-appeared.

After a bit of trial and error I uninstalled the SmartGate App, deleted all of the wireless networks, and none of them came back. I have reinstalled SmartGate and all is fine now, and it seems to connect to the car a lot faster as well.

Not sure if this is a bug with the Smartgate App, but it looked like all of my saved wireless networks had been corrupted somehow.

I've just tried this on my phone and they didn't return after leaving wifi off for a short time. (HTC M8 5.0.1)

We do fuel in litres as well and on my Drive App I have selected imperial and diesel per litre price. Did I read you right or do you drive in miles, consume in miles and refuel in lites? Just checking what's the whole picture.

EDIT: typos again

Meant to type "I have selected Metric" and not "imperial". Too much Star Wars for me, I guess.

I've just tried this on my phone and they didn't return after leaving wifi off for a short time. (HTC M8 5.0.1)

Running SGS S5 and can't replicate this.

How are you guys handling refuels? I'm getting a lot of missed refuels here. Have succeeded the most by leaving the ignition on, motor off, cellphone on, SmartGate App on and connected, Drive App on and connected, Service App on and connected - however, for example I missed out a refuel today. Any examples would be very much appreciated.

On a side note - haven't found anything solid for the Tasker script.

BR,

-mok

I cancel any refuel prompts as I would need a calculator to work gallons and price per gallon.

But you're getting them? May I ask how your ignition and app statuses are?

BR,

-mok

Intermittently get them .......

Another feature then, it seems. Thanks for info.

-mok

• 1 year later...

As Skoda Service app now turned to MySkoda I couldn't find a link in the app to update the smartgate. Can anyone provide me a link of the file or confirm that Android update feature still exists?

• 11 months later...

Skoda drive app stopped synchronizing and i can't find the web site. Is it all removed and server down?

Will it be coming back or permanent, anyone knows?