Battery / Alternator

benni8

Evening Gents,

Drove off the drive last saturday all lights on the dashboard come on no power and car shut off.

Car was pushed back onto drive and AA called, Battery was low and alternator was not putting out any power, so new alternator needed.

Purchashed new bosch alternator, fitted last night, friend jumped the car, left it running for 10 minutes, all lights go off, power steering comes back and hey presto cars running again.

Go on a 40 mile run up the motorway and come back feeling pleased with myself.

Tonight got home from work and the car wont start and the battery is dead.

So my question is... Do you think I need a new battery? if so any specific one? and could I fit it myself being a novice? 

cheers in advance

Car is 04 plate VRS ASZ engine code

When you switch the ignition on, but don't start the engine, does the battery light come on? Try it before you spend any more money.

As above.

Common fault on these,plenty of info on here on where the wire will be broken down if your battery light does not illuminate with stage two of ignition.

just beeping a caution symbol, engine light and air bag.

AA have said it hasnt got enough juice to power them so showing the warning signs.

It did this last saturday, he charged me up and they all went away and it ran fine.

Battery obviously flat as a pancake

just beeping a caution symbol, engine light and air bag.

AA have said it hasnt got enough juice to power them so showing the warning signs.

It did this last saturday, he charged me up and they all went away and it ran fine.

Battery obviously flat as a pancake

So no battery light to the left of your rev counter?

Yeah your battery is flat,but so will your new one be in no time if you don't fix the wire......

Edited by coskev

So no battery light to the left of your rev counter?

Yeah your battery is flat,but so will your new one be in no time if you don't fix the wire......

Thanks for your help. I haven't heard of this wire issue before can you give me a brief idea please?

The alternator rotor needs to be magnetised if you are to get a charging current. Normally the wire mentioned ensures that a current flows to create this magnetic field. When it has broken, you are reliant on there being a residual field from the last time it was working to get any alternator output at all - in my case the engine needed to rise to over 3000 rpm before this weak field produced enough output to kick the alternator into life. If I started the car and didn't rev too high the car would splutter to a halt after a few miles with a flat battery but if I revved the engine all was well until the next start. In my case the red light on the dash did indeed light - back in the 70's this was a sure sign that the alternator field was getting current but it is apparently driven by the ecu these days so doesn't necessarily prove that the alternator is working.

If you are buying a battery, check length, width and depth as there are various sizes fitted to the VRS. The one mentioned above is quoted as an 027 from ECP. There is a supplier in Stockport who offer a battery in that size, that are handy for collection for you, who offer a battery with 4 year guarantee for £44.

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/heavy-duty-027/

I recently bought/collected a battery off them and they matched their Ebay price when I phoned and questioned this, which in the case of the 027 is £35.95.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/027-Car-Van-Battery-Sealed-Heavy-Duty-62Ah-590CCA-4-Year-Guarantee-/181698926052?hash=item2a4e1995e4:g:pEAAAOSwYHxWM4Fi

Edited by KeithCheetham

If you are buying a battery, check length, width and depth as there are various sizes fitted to the VRS. The one mentioned above is quoted as an 027 from ECP. There is a supplier in Stockport who offer a battery in that size, that are handy for collection for you, who offer a battery with 4 year guarantee for £44.

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/heavy-duty-027/

I recently bought/collected a battery off them and they matched their Ebay price when I phoned and questioned this, which in the case of the 027 is £35.95.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/027-Car-Van-Battery-Sealed-Heavy-Duty-62Ah-590CCA-4-Year-Guarantee-/181698926052?hash=item2a4e1995e4:g:pEAAAOSwYHxWM4Fi

Thank you Keith. Much appreciated

Why aren't you taking on board what we are saying?

Your battery light is not coming on,so you've probably just wasted money on a new battery tbh.

Which will be flat in a couple of days......

I am listening the wire is being sorted as we speak. Just wanted to share video so other people might be able to relate in future. The battery was changed 4 years ago so for a little outlay it was piece of mind

• Like 2

Glad you're getting it sorted.

Unfortunately, there probably wasn't any need to change the alternator either.

Just as a heads-up there are two other common Fabia 'gotchas' that can cost people lots of money when mis-diagnosed.

The strip-fuse on top of the battery that supplies the ABS pump often cracks and diagnostic readers tend to make garages think it's a problem that requires a new ABS unit, rather than just a fuse.

The solenoid wire on the starter motor breaks, causing some to think they need a new starter motor.

All three are free or very cheap repairs.

• Like 1

The solenoid wire had me 12 months back. Luckily I saw other peoples posts and it cost me a fiver. True regarding spending.. but hey I have a new battery and alternator now.. it's Xmas afterall :)

I am listening the wire is being sorted as we speak. Just wanted to share video so other people might be able to relate in future. The battery was changed 4 years ago so for a little outlay it was piece of mind

Ah right tidy :)

Just the way your post read 'car now starting' I was under the impression you thought the battery had solved your issue!! :D

Bought the battery this morning and fitted. Car now starting.

Glad to see you are sorted. Did you run down to Stockport, if so, did you get a discount and which battery was it - 027 or 096 quoted on their website that is longer but same width and depth?

What happened on the turbo front, you were still considering/questioning what turbo to buy on the last post.

Edited by KeithCheetham

In short in the last 6 weeks I have purchased a house.. blown a turbo.. Got towed.. New battery.. New alternator.

I went to the one you mentioned in stockport they are having a sale. https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/096xd-advanced/

4 year guarentee one and did it for 40 quid.

The turbo was a KKK recon from turbo clinic in Leeds with 2 year guarantee all seals etc included. 120 surcharge on my old turbo. £330 for that.

Other bits from car parts 4 less (oil filters etc..)

ATS Euromaster 3 mins away from my new house and I rang them regarding wire. They said it's not what they do but one of the lads will do it on his dinner and he charged me a 15 quid. He crimped wires and placed them into this yellow connector and snapped the 2 ends together.

After 4 years of trouble free motoring it well and truly bent me over last few weeks. I hope I can build my trust back up in the car now moving forward.

113k Miles at the moment

Edited by benni8

Got in the car to go to the shop and the battery light comes on which is good. But 3 beeps sounds. No warning lights. Any ideas?

I assume with a new alternator, battery and now the battery light I can feel confident the battery is charging? Don't fancy getting stranded again.

Hense the concern over the 3 beeps

Got in the car to go to the shop and the battery light comes on which is good. But 3 beeps sounds. No warning lights. Any ideas?

I assume with a new alternator, battery and now the battery light I can feel confident the battery is charging? Don't fancy getting stranded again.

Hense the concern over the 3 beeps

Not sure if it might be this but worth having a read http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/24068-3-beeps-on-startup/