Superb II Rear Door - Limit door swing?

Hi,

Problem:-  I travel to work with 3 other people, one of whom flings my rear door open until it hits the limit stop.  Despite repeated nice and not so nice requests to not do it, it still happens.  I can see that the door line is now out and I am beginning to hear a slight whistle from the door.  I am pretty pi88ed off with this.  Throwing him out of the car pool or leaving it myself is not the easiest option as there is an expensive car ferry trip to be taken each day.  Also, he is one of the managers where I work so there is potential knock on to consider there too.  As a manager he is great, as a car-pooler, he sucks!!!  He even treats his own car badly.  

Q:-  Is it possible to limit  the amount the door opens thereby reducing the force on the door?

Q:- Can the door travel be "tightened" to slow the opening speed down? 

I'm clutching at straws here. 

The irony is that he is an engineer who grew up in a garage.  He is devoid of all forms of mechanical sympathy..........

All help appreciated and Marry Christmas to all.

A.....

Superb II.

• Like 1

Hi. I can't answer the questions you pose but I'd pull his leg about him being worse than having kids on board and then make use of the child locks. I know this gives you the job of then having to open the door for him but you can joke that you are the chauffeur after all. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Possibly space back the bracket in the door? It looks like it might work.   Bit chilly crossing the Shannon theses day? :D  :D

The Shannon is not looking inviting right now.  Might have to leave early. :rain:  :rain:

Hi. I can't answer the questions you pose but I'd pull his leg about him being worse than having kids on board and then make use of the child locks. I know this gives you the job of then having to open the door for him but you can joke that you are the chauffeur after all. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have thought about the door locks alright, and I guess it may have to come to that.

Hi,

Problem:-  I travel to work with 3 other people, one of whom flings my rear door open until it hits the limit stop.  Despite repeated nice and not so nice requests to not do it, it still happens.  I can see that the door line is now out and I am beginning to hear a slight whistle from the door.  I am pretty pi88ed off with this.  Throwing him out of the car pool or leaving it myself is not the easiest option as there is an expensive car ferry trip to be taken each day.  Also, he is one of the managers where I work so there is potential knock on to consider there too.  As a manager he is great, as a car-pooler, he sucks!!!  He even treats his own car badly.  

Q:-  Is it possible to limit  the amount the door opens thereby reducing the force on the door?

The irony is that he is an engineer who grew up in a garage.  He is devoid of all forms of mechanical sympathy..........

A.....

Superb II.

Which end is the door out of line - where it latches? or where it is hinged? Either end should have some adjustment available . On my Octavia MK I - I started getting a little wind noise from my NS front passenger door so I slightly moved the door latch hoop after undoing the 12 spline torqx (triple square?) bolts - solved!

In the past on a kit car I used some leather door check straps - but these would look wierd on a modern Superb

Edited by bigjohn

I would imagine it would be "simple" enough to limit the door opening by a small amount so saving on the rest of the mechanics and the sealing of it too. Must be like asking your children to not slam the doors at home. They still do. All the best though.

I like the idea of child locks. You could tease your manager in a different way offering the full chauffeur experience. Do you have children young enough to get away with the child lock ruse?

When I had an A6 as a taxi people were throwing the doors open and slamming them aggressively all the time, it did my head in. I went to my local Audi dealership to see if they could be tightened in some way, but was told no they can't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

A.....

Superb II.

When your in his car reciprocate in an emphatic way then if it still does not work use the child locks. It is your car and money if he is too inconsiderate.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of child locks. You could tease your manager in a different way offering the full chauffeur experience. Do you have children young enough to get away with the child lock ruse?

Hi,

I have an 8 year old who has never needed the child locks as he waits for the doors to be opened.  The biggest problem I have is when he is getting in, he just flings it open.  Getting out is not as bad.  He is just unbelievable. 

When your in his car reciprocate in an emphatic way then if it still does not work use the child locks. It is your car and money if he is too inconsiderate.

Just after my week of driving and he flung it open about 30% of the time.