Octavia MK3 Estate VRS stiff steering

Hi All

I have started to experience a strange issue with the steering on my 2015 Octavia Vrs estate. When driving at high speed for an hour or more the steering becomes initially stuff to move.. Normally this is not a problem, but at high speed I am constanly making small steering adjustments to stay in a reasonably streight line/avoid pot holes/high winds etc etc. The trouble is that it is taking an extra effort ( allbeit a small effort ) to get the steering wheel to move. As a result I end up at times having to over correct the steering once it does eventually move. This makes for quite an edgy driving experience at high speed... For reference, I do not use the lane assist function. I have tried it to see if it makes a difference but it doesn't... I have also tried the various driving modes but still no improvement..

Has anyone else experinced this issue? or something similar?  And am i right in thinking that the power steering is electronic rather than hydraulic?

Cheers & Happy new year..!

Rob

Hi All

I have started to experience a strange issue with the steering on my 2015 Octavia Vrs estate. When driving at high speed for an hour or more the steering becomes initially stuff to move.. Normally this is not a problem, but at high speed I am constanly making small steering adjustments to stay in a reasonably streight line/avoid pot holes/high winds etc etc. The trouble is that it is taking an extra effort ( allbeit a small effort ) to get the steering wheel to move. As a result I end up at times having to over correct the steering once it does eventually move. This makes for quite an edgy driving experience at high speed... For reference, I do not use the lane assist function. I have tried it to see if it makes a difference but it doesn't... I have also tried the various driving modes but still no improvement..

Has anyone else experinced this issue? or something similar?  And am i right in thinking that the power steering is electronic rather than hydraulic?

Cheers & Happy new year..!

Rob

I don't have the same car to compare but is this not just a feature of the driving mode you are in? My M5 when in M mode would stiffen the steering up along with tighter suspension...surely this gives you more stability and greater control at high speed? I used to love the tightness in the steering as you booted it!!

The stiffness does change depending on the driving mode, The problem I am experiencing is that in order to turn the wheel, I am having to apply extra force to initiate the turn..The steering is not constant in the effort required to turn the wheel. 

I did slightly change the steering wheel position (reach and rake) recently.. I am now thinking that perhaps this is a mechanical issue caused by changing the steering wheel position..Being 6"2 tall the steering is at its furthest reach position.. I will adjust it again before I go on a long journey.

If that doesnt work then its back to the dealer..

I had a similar issue with stiff steering, it transpires that the sound insulation in the driver footwell got caught up in the universal joint of the steering column; might want to have look in that area just in case. Had it all replaced under warranty but was a big job as the dash and seats had to come out as the steering column passes through the mat.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi I have this exact issue, I have had the car to my local dealer twice both times I have been told it's normal, supposedly the steering pre-loads when driving at speed. I told the garage it has to be driven for a while like an hour or more. I explained the its is more like a momentary lock, not a nice feeling at 70mph. Did you ever get anywhere with the issue?

I have a 63 plate Octavia Vrs ( TDi ) no problem with the steering at all. I use Lane assist but in the settings I only have the top box Ticked.  If you tick everything the steering is more aggressive .

" Other steering modes are available "

My car is without lane assist, I have however tried all steering modes and I find it makes minimal difference to the steering issue when it shows the fault. I have tried my best to explain it to the dealer its stiff\notchy momentarily and makes you over compensate when steering, as if there is a delay in the power steering. Kris.

I have a 63 plate Octavia Vrs ( TDi ) no problem with the steering at all. I use Lane assist but in the settings I only have the top box Ticked.  If you tick everything the steering is more aggressive .

" Other steering modes are available "

I often have the lane assist off completely, still get the funny steering wheel sensation. It actually feels, sometimes, the same as when the lane assist kicks in, as if it's trying to correct itself; only it does it with lane assist off. Very odd.

I often have the lane assist off completely, still get the funny steering wheel sensation. It actually feels, sometimes, the same as when the lane assist kicks in, as if it's trying to correct itself; only it does it with lane assist off. Very odd.

Try and get a VCDS scan, perhaps the LA is not turning it's self off.  Might throw up a fault.

Just to add, do you turn the LA of via Maxi Dot ( Driver assist I think ) or the radio. Perhaps one or the other is not turning it off completely 

My steering is fine, drove to N Wales last weekend at 70+ ( 2 hour trip ) every thing Ok 

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Try and get a VCDS scan, perhaps the LA is not turning it's self off.  Might throw up a fault.

Just to add, do you turn the LA of via Maxi Dot ( Driver assist I think ) or the radio. Perhaps one or the other is not turning it off completely 

My steering is fine, drove to N Wales last weekend at 70+ ( 2 hour trip ) every thing Ok

I always turn it off via the MaxiDot unless changing the setting, hadn't thought of that, that's a good thought. I might disable it completely for a while to see if that makes a difference...

Last VCDS scan was only a few weeks ago when I put more LED bulbs in, and no fault codes found at the time.

I always turn it off via the MaxiDot unless changing the setting, hadn't thought of that, that's a good thought. I might disable it completely for a while to see if that makes a difference...

Last VCDS scan was only a few weeks ago when I put more LED bulbs in, and no fault codes found at the time.

My Octavia does not have lane assist and I have the fault, it is impossible to miss it when it happens just wish I could make it happen when the dealer has the car.

This issue has improved since I repositioned the steering wheel.. I still get it occasionally but not to the same extent. Which suggests to me that this is a mechanical issue, and the further the steering wheel is extended the worse this problem becomes. Being 6,2" tall I had the steering wheel almost at its limits.

I would suggest trying to reposition the wheel and see if this improves things..

I will report the issue to my dealer when the service is due, it's a company car and since it has improved I am not that concerned..

Cheers

Rob

• 10 months later...

I had this issue on my 15 Plate Skoda Octavia (Non VRS). It was worst at speed but could also be felt as a very slight resistance at low speed if you knew what you were looking for. Happened after 5+ seconds of no/minimal steering input. Did the checks and tried moving the steering position but had not effect. I took it into the garage and they did a full investigation and found an issue with the worm gear on the steering rack - the whole steering rack was replaced in warranty. All resolved - thought I would share since there have been a few posts of this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I experienced this exact same issue yesterday...

2015 Elegance estate 2.0 TDi, no lane assist. I usually drive at 60mph on motorways and this is the first time I've noticed a slight resistance to my input. Coming off the motorway the steering returns to normal.

Im at 21,000 miles - should a steering rack wear like this so soon?

Since repositioning the steering wheel reach so that it is not at its full extent (back in March 2016) the problem has not re-occured on my car. I spoke to the dealer when I had the car serviced, but they couldnt find anything wrong.

I would suggest you play around with the steering wheel position to see if this helps..

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 12:28, Ciderspace said:

I experienced this exact same issue yesterday...

2015 Elegance estate 2.0 TDi, no lane assist. I usually drive at 60mph on motorways and this is the first time I've noticed a slight resistance to my input. Coming off the motorway the steering returns to normal.

Im at 21,000 miles - should a steering rack wear like this so soon?

Mine was at 19,500 miles when it went.

I have this exact issue on mine. I'm on 17k now and it started about 3-4k ago. Bugs the sh!t out of me yet i've still done nothing about it! I'll play around with the steering wheel reach to see if it makes any difference. Seems odd if this were to be the case, because the reach has always been at max since i got the car

I was driving in the same conditions last night (60mph on the motorway) and didn't experience this feeling this time... I haven't adjusted anything. Will keep an eye on it.

I have exactly the same issue.  I find it really annoying. On the motorway the steering sort of sticks and you have to apply extra pressure to turn the wheel, and then it suddenly gives and you over steer slightly the other way. You end up driving a bit side to side in the lane. Clearly a few have the same issue. If anyone has the answer to solving this problem please post. Mine's a 2016 model so will refer back to garage at next service, but I don't expect they will do anything unless it becomes a widely recognised problem.

• 10 months later...

Hi.

Sorry to reply to this thread after it's been dormant for a while but I've experienced what sounds like the same problem and wondered if subsequent to the above anyone else has experienced this? I actually have  a MK3 Fabia (and have posted the question on that forum) but suspect the underlying cause may be the same.

Thanks.