Real economy?

Cricster

Just driven from Cornwall to Herefordshire and got 54mpg displayed (accurate to c.2%). And that's down on what I'd expect, possibly due to the very wet conditions.

Our 110 2x4 is sitting stubbornly at 48.7 on the maxidot long term average. The strange thing is the trip average for the 30 mile round trip to my parents can vary from 45 - 55 mpg with seemingly the same sort of driving and speed - whatever the weather but always with air con button on. Cornwall is very hilly and notoriously harsh on fuel consumption.

I don't go on many motorways or dual carriageways but as you say - a steady 70mph does cause a hit on fuel consumption whereby on a long trip it will average 48. However, with the aerodynamic qualities of a brick I don't find this much of a surprise.

This is our first VAG diesel. All in all - I'm very satisfied with the fuel consumption compared with previous diesels with similar power and performance. Hopefully the emissions scandal 'fix' won't reduce the performance though - the car is only just powerful enough for my taste as it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just driven from Cornwall to Herefordshire and got 54mpg displayed (accurate to c.2%).

Where do you get your 2% figure from? I've been thinking about the accuracy of Maxidot. Here are my results over 5000 miles:

Maxidot 'Real' Maxidot over report
52.7    47.26   11.5%
44.7    41.33   8.2%
47.1    43.31   8.8%
45.4    41.67   9.0%
48.6    44.96   8.1%
48.9    44.18   10.7%
49.6    44.95   10.3%
56.4    50.46   11.8%
44.6    41.61   7.2%
47.3    43.24   9.4%

Ave = 9.5%
My Maxidot is reporting some 10% higher mpg than tank to tank measurements. Also note the largest errors are associated with higher efficiencies. Edited by clv101

Where do you get your 2% figure from? I've been thinking about the accuracy of Maxidot. Here are my results over 5000 miles:

Maxidot 'Real' Maxidot over report
52.7    47.26   11.5%
44.7    41.33   8.2%
47.1    43.31   8.8%
45.4    41.67   9.0%
48.6    44.96   8.1%
48.9    44.18   10.7%
49.6    44.95   10.3%
56.4    50.46   11.8%
44.6    41.61   7.2%
47.3    43.24   9.4%

Ave = 9.5%
My Maxidot is reporting some 10% higher mpg than tank to tank measurements. Also note the largest errors are associated with higher efficiencies.
I've tracked my usage over almost a year of ownership, recalibrated the consumption figures using VCDS, tracked again and am confident that except at the extremes of driving (i.e. driving like a mad hare or a sleeping tortoise) it is accurate to within 2% of the calculated figure.

Although I seem to recall it only being about 5-6% over reading before I recalibrated it.

Edited by KBPhoto

Our 110 2x4 is sitting stubbornly at 48.7 on the maxidot long term average. The strange thing is the trip average for the 30 mile round trip to my parents can vary from 45 - 55 mpg with seemingly the same sort of driving and speed - whatever the weather but always with air con button on. Cornwall is very hilly and notoriously harsh on fuel consumption.

I don't go on many motorways or dual carriageways but as you say - a steady 70mph does cause a hit on fuel consumption whereby on a long trip it will average 48. However, with the aerodynamic qualities of a brick I don't find this much of a surprise.

This is our first VAG diesel. All in all - I'm very satisfied with the fuel consumption compared with previous diesels with similar power and performance. Hopefully the emissions scandal 'fix' won't reduce the performance though - the car is only just powerful enough for my taste as it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blimey, those are good figures. I have friends in Cornwall so know the area well!

I struggle to get that in my Euro 6 2WD diesel and that's on a good run on flattish roads.

I don't get the "recalibrating" and "tracking" - mine was simple fill to fill and odometer readings and never got 49mpg even on a tippy-toe run of hundreds of kms and I'm OCD when it comes to economy techniques.

My 2wd TDI 110 did a calculated 50mpg for the time I owned it. This was over exagerated by the maxidot by about 3-4mpg.

On a run it easily did over 60mpg (70mpg on the maxidot) if I kept it under 70.

Edited by rriggs

Our 4x4 140bhp SE is now a shade over 5 years old and has just over 39000 on the clock. Used for mixed driving and with sevearl short trips interspersed with 100 mile runs. Accurate fuel consumption over that period has worked out at 44.06mpg.  Best average is 44.49. Best tank consumption is 50.69 and worst is 36. The maxidot is inaccurate reading 8-11% optimistic.

• Like 1

Figures obtained are dependant on whether you are starting from cold or not, though brim to brim would give a true average as hot and cold starts would be taken into account.

I usually only have a look at my average when going to and from work (20 miles each way) and am nearly always going from a cold start.

My 170 4x4 will return low 40s when driven on the motorway at sensible speeds - BUT at this time of year, the winter fuel mix means mine has dropped into the mid>high 30s. Which is normal.

Had my maxi dot fuel reading altered from 100 to 110% now it reads 1 mpg under on every fuel up

1.6tdi maxi reading 54.5 actual mpg is 55.5

It was doing my head in showing 60 + mpg all the time

• Like 1

I don't get the "recalibrating" and "tracking" - mine was simple fill to fill and odometer readings and never got 49mpg even on a tippy-toe run of hundreds of kms and I'm OCD when it comes to economy techniques.

Tracking is usually used to refer to the recording and monitoring of actual fuel usage, displayed averages, etc. using a slreadsheet, app, or pen and paper.

Recalibration is done with VCDS and involves altering the ratio between the displayed average and the factory setting. If you know that the display is X% out then the display can be adjusted accordingly.

I track mine on every long 'economy' run with no traffic or lights on mostly flat straight roads and just manage 49mpg max at speeds never above 56mph due to known drag affect and minimise any braking other than engine as required.

Aero and Haldex are the main culprits I figure.

FWD still has aero as THE factor.

Stop/start bring in the 'pork' factor of course.

I complained once about the difficulty I had with pushing the car out of the garage, even though it was dead flat concrete (nasturtiums were cast in my directions regarding my strength) and now think there must have been a transmission drag issue which may have been the reason for never breaking the 49mpg barrier.

Others said they had no problem pushing their's on the flat, but it might be worth trying if you haven't already, and you don't get the economy others claim.

I think that the weight of the haldex plus any additional drag that the 4WD transmission creates (although probably negligible once moving) will be the big factors in increased consumption between 2WD & 4WD Yetis.

Weight is fuel economy's big killer...

Edited by rriggs

Well I've now had two full tanks in my 150tdi DSG 4x4 and both times the fuel light has come on almost exactly at 400 miles. Most trips are commute to work of around 13 miles each way, half stop/start and half 70mph (or 65 if I'm being careful) - on that trip I can average between 38-43mpg from cold, not massively impressed with that considering all the new Euro 6 stuff and anything over 70mph really hits it but it's "ok" I guess. May well improve with more miles and warmer weather of course...

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm my new Yeti is due next week and I was thinking to create a spreadsheet for economy.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, can anyone point me in the direction of a good spreadsheet or ideas so I can create my own  please?

Thanks,

Geoff

Hmmm my new Yeti is due next week and I was thinking to create a spreadsheet for economy.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, can anyone point me in the direction of a good spreadsheet or ideas so I can create my own  please?

Thanks,

Geoff

Sign up with Spritmonitor( http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/  - click external link in my signature below) or Fuelly ( http://www.fuelly.com/dashboard ). I used Spiritmonitor myself as I struggled to find my petrol car model on Fuelly for some reason

Which Yeti are you getting? I thought about one this time round but I needed the extra rear legroom for a 6ft 5" son and a bigger boot so went for a 14 month old Superb II. I fancy the look of a 1.4tsi L&K though

BJ..

Edited by bigjohn