Bonnet release

Decided to check oil/water on my SEL 110 but struggled to find the bonnet release. Eventually found it on the passenger side rather than the drivers side.

Is this unusual? never found one at the passenger side before.

Just one of these VAG things, VW Polo 6R 6C has the release on the RHS, my 2011 Audi S4 has it on the RHS, daughter's late 2009 Ibiza has it on the LHS.

I had trouble opening the bonnet of my S4 a few times just after I got it, it was only when wife got her new Polo that I worked out that the door needs to be open quite far before the bonnet release can be pulled back - I think that that was my problem as the S4 gets parked up near the garage wall (to keep it away from the Polo doors!).

Edited by rum4mo

I spent half an hour trying to close my bonnet after opening it for the first time.

It wouldn't close for love nor money!

Finally discovered that the internal release was in the "open" position.

I spent half an hour trying to close my bonnet after opening it for the first time.

It wouldn't close for love nor money!

Finally discovered that the internal release was in the "open" position.

Surely the internal release has a strong return spring fitted to it so that you just pull it back and let it go, I've not seen that before on any car.

Surely the internal release has a strong return spring fitted to it so that you just pull it back and let it go, I've not seen that before on any car.

As said. If it doesnt do make a guarantee-complaint!

They had to modify it on the Ibiza, as it didn't spring back and bonnets came open at speed.

I'd be interested to hear more about this if it relates to the current Ibiza.

Are you sure that you are not referring to the 6K Ibiza from back in 2001? I think that some of them had an issue a bit similar to the Regie Clio of that period.

I'd be interested to hear more about this if it relates to the current Ibiza.

Are you sure that you are not referring to the 6K Ibiza from back in 2001? I think that some of them had an issue a bit similar to the Regie Clio of that period.

No we have a 2011 Ibiza, they were recalled in 2013 I think. The trim around the bonnet release was secured to make the handle spring back properly.

That is the first time I've heard about that, normally these recalls and/or issues go through these forums like wildfire, I can't remember reading anything on the Seat forum.

Edited by rum4mo

Thanks glosrich

That's interesting

That does not sound like VAG is handling emergant build issues and sharing issues with other marques using the same platform!  Or your car is a "one off" - so far.