1.6 TDI Greenline 120 vs old VW Group 2.0TDI 140?

Hi all,

Possibly a bit of a vague question.

I will be in the process of ordering a new company car soon and I have been attracted to the Skoda Superb Estate - SE L Executive. It is packed with goodies as standard and is kind on BIK tax deductions, especially the 1.6TDI in manual form, which I notice pushes out 120bhp.

I have experience of the old 1.6tdi unit a 2013 Golf Estate which with 105bhp, was OK - but not fantastic and the Superb is a much bigger car.

I'm currently driving a 2012 VW Passat Estate with the 2.0TDI Bluemotion engine which is pushing 138bhp. The performance is adequate and I would not mind a slightly less powerful if needs be to go to the 1.6 in the Superb.

Long story short, i'm wondering if anybody has experience of driving both (maybe even the equivalent 2.0 tdi in an older superb) to compare?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

According to Parkers, the 2013 Golf Estate with 1.6 CR diesel was 1445KG. The new Superb mk3 1.6 CR diesel estate is actually only 1410KG, so despite the dimensions it's the lighter car. The newer ones are made of different, high tensile lightweight materials (including a new magnesium tailgate). By all accounts the 1.6 120hp is adequate, though it wouldn't suit me. I did used to drive a mk2 Superb with the old 1.9 PD TDI, which was 103hp. It wouldn't win any races, but it was never annoyingly slow, and once you're up to cruising speed (the Super is a mile muncher after all) you're golden.

Definitely test drive one though, as my slow may be your normal or vice versa. Also please note the 1.4 TSI 150hp ACT turbo petrol engine. It has the same power as the older 1.8 TSI, and gets very good reviews (including from members here). It will drive way nicer than the 1.6 diesel, and in the real world returns very similar economy (or better, at town driving). It is also one of (if not the?) best engine for BIK as I understand it. Definitely drive one if you can and look into it. Don't discount it based on old fashioned prejudices about which fuel is 'better' for this or that. Engine tech has changed a lot.

Welcome to the forum btw. ;)

Edited by Derv

Thanks!

I have to rule out the TSI at this stage as doing the sums on equivalent spec will cost me £25/month more in tax and our company currently have a "diesel only" rule.

Interesting regarding the weights, more power and less weight looks like an ideal scenario. Will have to test drive one.

80% of my driving is on motorways, so as long as it can cruise well at 70-80 I am happy.

Hi all,

Possibly a bit of a vague question.

I will be in the process of ordering a new company car soon and I have been attracted to the Skoda Superb Estate - SE L Executive. It is packed with goodies as standard and is kind on BIK tax deductions, especially the 1.6TDI in manual form, which I notice pushes out 120bhp.

I have experience of the old 1.6tdi unit a 2013 Golf Estate which with 105bhp, was OK - but not fantastic and the Superb is a much bigger car.

I'm currently driving a 2012 VW Passat Estate with the 2.0TDI Bluemotion engine which is pushing 138bhp. The performance is adequate and I would not mind a slightly less powerful if needs be to go to the 1.6 in the Superb.

Long story short, i'm wondering if anybody has experience of driving both (maybe even the equivalent 2.0 tdi in an older superb) to compare?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Hi Jon I have on hire at the moment a 14 plate 1968cc VW TDi DSG estate and I cannot wait to get my Superb back. Ride is better and acceleration in my 190 TDi DSG L&K is far superior. Only one winner in my eyes..

Hi Jon I have on hire at the moment a 14 plate 1968cc VW TDi DSG estate and I cannot wait to get my Superb back. Ride is better and acceleration in my 190 TDi DSG L&K is far superior. Only one winner in my eyes..

Sorry Jon meant to add we had a MkII as well and it still is our preference to the VW. Whilst awaiting delivery we had on hire a Mercedes ML350 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee and yet again my wife and I still prefer the Superb 4x4. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies thus far. Has anybody had a chance to drive a Superb with this motor yet?

I test drove a Seat Leon with the 1.4TSI ACT and it was very punchy, but also 30bhp more than the 1.6 diesel.

Thanks for the replies thus far. Has anybody had a chance to drive a Superb with this motor yet?

I test drove a Seat Leon with the 1.4TSI ACT and it was very punchy, but also 30bhp more than the 1.6 diesel.

The 1.4 ACT is 30 bhp more but has the same torque as the 1.6 tdi at 250 nm.

The superb 3 1.6tdi feels very comparable in power when driven to the 2.0tdi 140 that was in the superb 2, I have gone for the 1.6 so I could go for the dsg with my company allowance, you won't have any problems with your motorway miles @70/80 in the 1.6tdi, having said that I have 10 points so a powerful motor is something I can do without at present, its all about comfortable mile munching for me. 

• Like 1

2 excellent posts and just the confirmation I was looking for.

For me I could potentially go for the 2.0 TDI unit, but it would mean lowering to the business edition level. Id rather have a little less shove and the higher spec I think.

I also looked and the current Superb Combi is 141kg lighter than the previous Passat Estate.

I've no complaints with my one, has all the power & punch that I need & is excellent on fuel. I was the same when ordering my one. My old Superb 2 Combi felt under powered with the 1.6 engine so was gonna go for the 2.0 150bhp unit this time but after test driving a Superb 3 with a 1.6 unit, i felt it was perfect, with the extra grunt & lighter chasis. I didn't think the 2.0l was worth the extra €2,000 + so invested the money in adding extras instead. Unless you really love your 'grunt' the 1.6 engine is more than adequate IMO.

• Like 1

This is furthermore making my mind up. Definitely in agreement that I'd rather have a bigger pot to play with extras than worry about what is under the bonnet. Once you are up to motorway speed, it doesn't matter if you lost a second or two does it?

• Like 1

This is furthermore making my mind up. Definitely in agreement that I'd rather have a bigger pot to play with extras than worry about what is under the bonnet. Once you are up to motorway speed, it doesn't matter if you lost a second or two does it?

I recommend trying a DSG if you get chance, I found they were coming in at a good price on my company car configurator, usually they are way out of my price range.

I do high mileage and last few years have seemed worse for major motorway problems where its been stop/ start for hours on end, the DSG is going to make these situations much more tolerable, also I figured you only get the full benefits of the adaptive cruise in conjunction with DSG.

I was in a very similar situation 2 1/2 years ago, having had a Passat B6, another Passat B6, Audi A6 then a Passat CC all with the 140bhp TDI.

I didn't look too closely at the BIK for years then when I worked it out I was shocked how much it was costing me. That made me look at Skoda, all the same bits and pieces plus more for a lower price.

It came down to a 2.0 engine with lower spec or higher spec with 1.6 engine. Doing mostly motorway miles like yourself and not being a traffic light racer I had a Superb Elegance Greenline (105bhp version) on loan for a week from Skoda UK. The extra spec of the Elegance made my mind up. I like having the xenon lights, heated leather electric seats, Columbus sat nav etc etc. 

While I can't comment on the new 1.6 120bhp I don't regret for one moment moving from the 2.0 140bhp to a 1.6 105bhp and getting a higher spec car. Although I only have 105 bhp I find it plenty enough pounding up and down the UK road network every day and I don't regret my decision one bit.

I've seen a few road tests where they give 0-60 figures for the 1.6 120 much the same time as the Passat 2.0 http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/superb/92741/skoda-superb-estate-vs-toyota-avensis-touring-sports-vw-passat-estate

The only thing I would say is if finances permit try the DSG, my last Passat CC was DSG and I really miss it.

Unfortunately after investigation it looks like for the time being that 1.6 Greenline engine (96g CO2) is currently only available with a 6 speed manual.

But definitely agree with the above. The Superb in 1.6 guise will cost me about £75/month less in tax compared to my current Passat which has a value of £24.5k versus the £28k Superb I'm very likely to order.

Unfortunately after investigation it looks like for the time being that 1.6 Greenline engine (96g CO2) is currently only available with a 6 speed manual.

But definitely agree with the above. The Superb in 1.6 guise will cost me about £75/month less in tax compared to my current Passat which has a value of £24.5k versus the £28k Superb I'm very likely to order.

As you say the only way to get SEL spec with the 1.6 TDI is the manual Greenline version. Quite a saving in BIK £75/month, or £900/year, well worth it in my opinion.