Missing some functionality

Jumped in the car this morning to come to work and noticed the screen blower wasn't working.

Checked a little further and discovered that while all the LEDs on the Climatronic (or what ever the electronic heating controls is called) are working, the LCD for the temp setting isn't - no back light, but the display on the radio is correct.

Changing heating mode - no difference.

Ignition cycle - no difference.

No time to investigate, so drove to work with the window down.  Upon reaching work reversing into park space discovered the parking sensors and/or audible alarm aren't working either.

Any ideas?

Someone else has my VAGCOM at the moment.

Regards

Tom

I'd be surprised in the Climatronic and rear parking sensors were connected, unless they both utilise the same control module?

Could it be something as simple as a fuse?

OK, so fuse 4 is blown, and blew again as soon as replaced.

Looking on here there aren some people who have had issue with the fan seizing.  Got the fan out, moves freely, given it 12 volts turns no problem.

Without re-connecting the fan or the speed control unit on the fan housing I put another fuse in, that's blown too!

Any ideas?

I'm running out of fuses!

Tom

On the plus side you are now closer to isolating the fault, sounds like the fuse is doing its job.

Which fuse box are you in, the one on the end of the dashboard or the one close to the battery under the bonnet?

Fuse number F4 under the bonnet is either a 5A and is labelled as 'Measuring Circuit' or a 30A for 'Valves for ABS', there are two different types of fuse boxes under the bonnet dependant on model / build year.

Fuse number F4 in the dash is a 5A and is for the 'Heating, Air Conditioning System, Reversing Lights'.

On the plus side you are now closer to isolating the fault, sounds like the fuse is doing its job.

Which fuse box are you in, the one on the end of the dashboard or the one close to the battery under the bonnet?

Fuse number F4 under the bonnet is either a 5A and is labelled as 'Measuring Circuit' or a 30A for 'Valves for ABS', there are two different types of fuse boxes under the bonnet dependant on model / build year.

Fuse number F4 in the dash is a 5A and is for the 'Heating, Air Conditioning System, Reversing Lights'.

Sorry, should have clarified that.

It's the box on the end of the dash.

The fact that it is both heating and reversing explains the lack of reversing sensor.

I'm not sure how to progress to identify the issue, I know it's not the blower motor or controller, as they motor assembly isn't in the car now.

I did notice one strange thing.  The curtesy lights in the boot of the car don't work, but I'm sure when I had the boot liner off the other week to replace the wiper motor that when I engaged reverse I thought I saw the curtesy lights come on?!  How can I disable the reversing lights/sensor?

Tom

Sorry, should have clarified that.

It's the box on the end of the dash.

The fact that it is both heating and reversing explains the lack of reversing sensor.

I'm not sure how to progress to identify the issue, I know it's not the blower motor or controller, as they motor assembly isn't in the car now.

I did notice one strange thing.  The curtesy lights in the boot of the car don't work, but I'm sure when I had the boot liner off the other week to replace the wiper motor that when I engaged reverse I thought I saw the curtesy lights come on?!  How can I disable the reversing lights/sensor?

Tom

Looks like the reversing switch is easy to disconnect at the gearbox, I'll try that and see if I can find another fuse to try :)

Faults that result in strange behaviour around the back of the car (rear lights, reversing sensors, boot mechanism etc.) can often be attributed to moisture ingress.

Broken washer pipes, faulty boot seals, loose grommets etc. usually fill the spare wheel well or soak the controller behind the carpet under where the CD multi-changer usually sits.

OK, bag from the knackers yard with an armful of fuses!

So I figure if I pull the reversing switch connector off, then nothing at the back end of the car for reversing lights/sensor can be live?  Therefore if a new fuse doesn't pop, then I know the issue lies with the reversing tackle.

If however with that connector pulled the fuse does pop, then I'm left with teh daunting task of finding a fault somewhere in the AC or heating electrics - not looking forward to that option.

Tom

OK, found the reversing switch, but can't see how to remove the air box to get to it.  I found the screw between the air box and battery, but still doesn't seem keen to move.  I have remove the top cover from the air box and the filter.

Reading the fault codes...

00819 - High Pressure Sensor (G65)

00819 - High Pressure Sensor (G65): Open or Short to Ground Possible Causes
  • Wiring/Connectors from/to High Pressure Sensor (G65) faulty
  • High Pressure Sensor (G65) faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Wiring/Connectors from/to High Pressure Sensor (G65)
  • Check High Pressure Sensor (G65)

00819 - High Pressure Sensor (G65): Signal too Low Possible Symptoms
  • Climate Control stuck in ECON Mode
Possible Causes
  • Insufficient Refrigerant Pressure
  • Wiring/Connectors from/to High Pressure Sensor (G65) faulty
  • High Pressure Sensor (G65) faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Refrigerant Pressure
    • Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
  • Check Wiring/Connectors from/to High Pressure Sensor (G65)
  • Check High Pressure Sensor (G65)

So I'm off to check the G65, see if I can unplug that and get some good news.

Tom

Was this car designed to be worked on only by 7' anorexic super models?

I can see the G65 down on the front left, and by removing the engine trim I can pretty much tough it - that's about it!  How does this connector come off?

Tom

Looks like there is a small tab that needs pushing in...

octavia-mk2-7489.png

See here for more info...

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/octavia-mk2/heating_ventilation_air_conditioning_system/heating_air_conditioning/air_conditioner/repairing_the_air_conditioning_system_engine_compartment/

Edited by silver1011

Just found the same image. I think it's one of those horrible plugs that needs a small screw driver sticking down a slot on the side first to supposedly release the catch, but are a dark art to figure how far to push itwhether to twist it and how to do all that when you can reach and can't see!

OK, had another look this morning, I can't see anything you're meant to push in or pull out to release this.  There is what looks like a slot on one side, but that is partially obscured by part of the moulding of the top section of plug.

Tom

OK, gave up and took it to the garage, they were able to unhook the plug from teh G65, I shoved a new fuse in, turned her on, turned her off and woo hoo the - the fuse wasn't blown.

Left the car with them to replace the G65, they checked after, all fine.

Just spent a torturous time refitting the glove box - everything is still working!

Tom

• Like 1