• Focus ST
    • Astra VXR
    • New Octavia II vRS
    • Wait to see if the vRS Diesel becomes reality

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignoring the VRS for the moment , if I had to pick from one of the others it would be the Focus

Does look the best on paper, and the driving reviews have been favourable. What would bother me are future residuals and the number that could potentially appear on the roads, given the internet broker deals being mentioned recently.

Steve

Hot hatch? I'll take the Golf mk V R32 please, just to be different to you lot :D Or the A3 3.2 Quattro with DSG. Or the 130i (until the M version comes out)

If it has to be one on the list, I'll take the Focus.

isn't the octavia the same chassis as a golf' date=' but with a different shape body fixed to it...?

not really sure how the shape of the body panels would effect how a car corners, can't see a focus saloon handling better/worse than a hatch version and i don't think bengie's estate focus went round corners any worse than my hatch :confused:[/quote']

The old Jetta GTI Mk II was reckoned to be a better handling car than the Golf GTI because the bodyshell was stiffer and longer. :)

I agree with Beef here...though the Octi is officially a hatchback, in reality it is not. A hatchback does not have an a$$, and the Octavia has one. Yes, the rear window is attached to the boot, but it still has an a$$. It couldn't handle like a hatch either, given the overall length of the car. It looks more saloony than a hatchback.

That's an interesting way of looking at it....but how about this....Mondeo saloon and Mondeo hatch back.....try explaining that?;)

Would be the Octy II if anything for me as I need the boot & practicality :rolleyes: Must admit though that I don't think it fulfils the old school "hot hatch" criteria as it is too refined, big and expensive (as are of the rest of them on the list). I think of something like the Clio 182 as proper "hot hatch" stuff, although I wouldn't buy one myself :D . Hot hatches to me should really be lightweight screamers in the Fiesta/Clio/Polo/Fabia class :thumbup:

I'm going from a Focus Estate to a (mk1) Octavia vRS and I'd regard them as equivalents. Driving the 2 cars they feel to be the same size and jumping into an Octavia felt immediately 'familiar'.

-a Golf is too short in the boot for my requirements.

It'll be interesting to see how the Octavia is to live with. The handling has a lot to live up to...

I've never driven a Vauxhall that handles particularly well. Astras and Cavaliers from the 80s and 90s were terrifying in the wet! Especially considering the pwer to weight ratios of some them!! The latest Vectra is a bit soft and wallowy for my tastes.

I've never driven a Vauxhall that handles particularly well. Astras and Cavaliers from the 80s and 90s were terrifying in the wet! Especially considering the pwer to weight ratios of some them!! The latest Vectra is a bit soft and wallowy for my tastes.

A lot of cars from the 80s were terrifying in the wet but the handling of a 1980 Cavalier was regarded as stunning at the time and turned round the previous image of Vauxhall after the stuff they made before. Prior to the Cavalier/Ascona, GM cars were designed in the US with their funny ideas of handling instead of Europe. A RWD 1980 Mk1 Cavalier (introduced 1975) had better handling than any mass-produced saloon of that time. I've got a 1980 Opel Manta Berlinetta Sportshatch which has the same running gear as the Cavalier that's a corker.

The big difference was the tyre technology though there were big improvements by the '80s already. Go back another 10 years. I had a 1969 Cortina GT which had cart springs like most Fords then and could spin at any speed, fun though. Another difference was that tyres used harder compounds that lasted much longer. My GT Cortina had the original tyres when I sold it at 70,000 miles.

You could make a long list of frightening cars if you went back to rod brakes. One of my nominations from the 60s would be the Hillman Imp van with a rear engine so the front wheels never touched the ground if you had your shopping in the back. That was scary. :)

If I had the cash, it'd almost certainly have to be the Golf GTi I'm afraid. I've not been too impressed by any of the GTi's from the late 90's, early 00's but this new one is a different kettle of fish altogether.