Dead instrument cluster. No power.

If you open your car in the morning and dashboard is black (middle screen) mean it came... You've got problem with an instrument cluster (IC).

To be sure you should try to start engine... When IC is still dead (no lights on dash) and engine cut off after 2s - that all.

You have got two ways:

1. You can call your breakdown cover company and ask them to sort it out... but probably your car will end it's journey at Skoda (Seat) dealer... Ask them how much will cost new one...

2. You can try repair it as short DIY job. All your problems are inside IC ... These are bad connection pins (cold pins).

You need to disassembley IC to the circuit board and reheat these pins by soldering station...

I did it with success... Lights are back and car started as usually... :D

I hope that will save your money... ;)

I hope that will save your money... ;)

A lot of money... The IC, depending on the version, can cost over 600 pounds!

Thank you for the heads-up, did you by any chance took any photos of the internal board?

By the way, the service manual says that apart from the glass at the front, the rest of it is not user-serviceable! Evern a burnt LED is treated with cluster replacement! :D

A lot of money... The IC, depending on the version, can cost over 600 pounds!

...used one on ebay cost about £150. Yes... and don't forget dealer labour for adoptation new IC (or used one)... In our IC is Immo as well...

Thank you for the heads-up, did you by any chance took any photos of the internal board?

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures...

By the way, the service manual says that apart from the glass at the front, the rest of it is not user-serviceable! Evern a burnt LED is treated with cluster replacement! :D

To disassembly IC you need torx T9 and take 4 screws on the back (two on top and two on bottom). Next you need to unclip cover (one on every side). After you can take "glass" from front IC... Now you've got circuit board with white plastic, needles and screen... So, take out needles with two screwdrivers (pull up). Next, disconnect screen. It's easy because it's common connector... just pull up bracket and take out the lead. After that you need to take white plastic cover... To do that you need to push 4 pins...

That's it.

Bad pins (cold connectors) are in blue cover... so, turn over the circuit board and all pins are ready to be heat... all 32 pins...

Assembly IC from last to first steps...

Edited by 67igor1
  • Like 1

Won't this be covered under warranty?

We are now in a period where there are Rapids on the road that are old enough that their three-year warranties have expired.

In September this year, the first Spaceback warranties will lapse (mine runs out on Jan 2nd 2017). This year I will be paying very close attention to every outstanding issue and niggle with the car in order to get as much as possible fixed under warranty before it expires.

We are now in a period where there are Rapids on the road that are old enough that their three-year warranties have expired.

It seems that the UK-spec'ed Rapids are more reliable than the Greek ones. :D

We only get a 2-year warranty period.

3 years warranty here.

Skoda Aus had a promotion late last year: 5 years warranty for MY15 models sold prior to 31-Dec-15. 

Then it may be a right-hand drive thing :D

Just marketing variations between countries. either way it doesn't stack up well against Hyundai, Kia etc. 7years 100000miles I think they do now.

Yes, Kia is 7 years. I was considering the new Cee'd for this particular reason, but I opted for the Rapid instead partly because of a horrible local dealer which didn't have a test-drive car and partly because I found the Rapid more good-looking.

Yes, Kia is 7 years. I was considering the new Cee'd for this particular reason, but I opted for the Rapid instead partly because of a horrible local dealer which didn't have a test-drive car and partly because I found the Rapid more good-looking.

I was also considering the Cee'd, but opted for the Rapid instead, after I have test ridden both of them. The 1.4D 90 hp Kia engine is totally gutless compared to the 90 hp 1.6TDi version. And although I liked the exterior of the Cee'd, I found its interior totally dull and lacking in style.

On the other hand i got my Rapid with the 4-year warranty as a free extra, when I negociated the purchase.

• Like 1