Clutch down to start...

but once in the ignition did u need to hold the clutch down to then start it, i had a 99, the reverse gear thing is anti-theft

No, it was mainly a reflection regarding the gear or not when parked discussion.

I suppose you could turn the key to I to release the gear shift, put it in neutral, and then start it. But the natural procedure was to insert the key, press the clutch, start the engine and shift to 1, if not starting in reverse.

Edited by josj

I have always left my car in neutral unless i go on holiday and leave the car then I leave it in gear with the handbrake off so they don't stick on.

I can’t remove the key from the ignition if I leave my car in neutral. Is that the same for others with an automatic transmission?

I can’t remove the key from the ignition if I leave my car in neutral. Is that the same for others with an automatic transmission?

I was talking in the case of a manual.

I've never had an Auto or DSG so i'm not sure how they operate regarding holding the key in but i think it would be best to have it in park regardless anyway