100,000 miles of poor reliability in a Skoda Yeti 1.2TSi

Abominable

It's not at all unusual for early versions of new cars to be effectively tested out on 'early adopters'.  By the time the FL came along, most of the early faults had been ironed out, so it's likely to be less problematic.  The more cautious will never buy a new model until it's been available for a couple of years for the early faults to have shown up and been eradicated.

Not so applicable to Asian vehicles ......seems to be seen as an excuse elsewhere though.

• Like 1

My patience with this car is nearing an all time low. THREE new faults to report bringing me up to TWENTY NINE faults in 6 1/2 years:

24. Offside rear wheel bearing failure
25. Rear tailgate corrosion

26. Offside rear wheel arch corrosion

27. Nearside rear wheel bearing failure

28. Oil leak on Oil Separator

29. Oil leak from top of engine block (actual leak location still to be determined)

Plus, corrosion to all four doors still to be remedied....

Edited by Abominable

Similarly, in NZ. There were often camouflaged cars in Otago when I was there, though it was usually quite obvious what their true identity actually was.

The locals didn't seem to give them any notice...they were too in love with their Subarus; bombproof cars for corrugated gravel roads. The Forester I had when I lived there just kept going and going and going...

Similarly, in NZ. There were often camouflaged cars in Otago when I was there, though it was usually quite obvious what their true identity actually was.

The locals didn't seem to give them any notice...they were too in love with their Subarus; bombproof cars for corrugated gravel roads. The Forester I had when I lived there just kept going and going and going...

I remember the Brumby ute of the eighties which was the beginning of their popularity out here.

Your Yeti should go to the Skoda Factory and be stripped & inspected like this in front of the senior management.

Then displayed for all to see beside the Kodiaq at Roadshows and open days.

Just as an example of how poor some models can be built when Skoda let quality control slip.

Let's hope 'lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place'. I think you were just very unfortunate with your first car and many wouldn't have persisted for as long as you did. Ok - some of the issues you encountered (like the rust) are common, but the catelogue of other failures isn't.

• Like 1

Sounds like a big thanks to West End...

Did you keep the winters ?

No, I left them on the car. It was that or the 17" Annapurnas....so a no-brainer really. 

That means I will have some brand new 205 55 16 Michelins  summers to part with shortly when I remove them and put on some lovely grippy winter Nokians - there is no better winter tyre!

West End were superb; no quibbling or messing around, just straight-forward and efficient and even a bit humble (they knew the old car and all its faults well!)

Edited by Abominable
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No, I left them on the car. It was that or the 17" Annapurnas....so a no-brainer really. 

That means I will have some brand new 205 55 16 Michelins  summers to part with shortly when I remove them and put on some lovely grippy winter Nokians - there is no better winter tyre!

West End were superb; no quibbling or messing around, just straight-forward and efficient and even a bit humble (they knew the old car and all its faults well!)

any new impression from new yeti? is that the 110hp engine ?

any new impression from new yeti? is that the 110hp engine ?

Getting in the new Yeti is like putting on a comfy pair of old jeans, but only the stitching isn't bust and there aren't holes in the arse!

Apart from the obvious on a new car (the 'box being tighter etc) it all feels much the same. The engine, a 110, makes a different purr, maybe even a bit more of a throb but doesn't feel any more powerful really. Can't judge the mpg as yet, as it's only done 1200 miles. I was always pretty happy with the old bug-eye getting about 40 to 45mpg on most runs, so hopefully it's that or better. The engine looks totally different, however.

Small things stand out - the full-beam on the switchgear isn't a positive click like the last one, different spare wheel compartment, the addition of tyre pressure monitors, start/stop etc etc. The touch-screen stereo head unit I am not a fan of - far to fiddly when driving. The old button one was better, as much simpler. The steering wheel controls don't help matters. A small gripe really.

In terms of performance, handling, ride - all much the same really.

And best of all nothing has blown up, fallen off or started to rust!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...