100,000 miles of poor reliability in a Skoda Yeti 1.2TSi

Abominable

I wasn't saying that you sit with your foot on the brake whilst stationary, merely that this is the greatest cause of warped discs.

As an Advanced Driver, I'm sure you do indeed drive with mechanical sympathy for your vehicle, as well as consideration for other road users. Excellent!

So, it would appear that in your case, "heavy brake foot" is not the issue here, although conversely, occasional hard braking is sometimes recommended in order to clean up discs and pads that otherwise are only gently used and become glazed or rusty.

Incidentally, whilst it's difficult to extract the information from official analysis of MOT failures (because all bulb failures are lumped together in the statistics), MOT testers that I know all agree that brake light bulb failure is now the single most frequent fault found on cars submitted for testing - and the cause can only be the number of people who sit with their foot on the brake at traffic lights etc rather than using the handbrake. 

Unfortunately, this doesn't help solve your issue so I'd better move on!

John H

Hi John, In case of any confusion I did not think you were being accusative of of my driving style - understand you were just giving an example of the more common reason for warped discs. You're right though, there are times when I have to deliberately stamp on the brakes to clean then as I use them so lightly they often become rusty / pitted.  The discs where replaced a while ago, so that issue is now fixed anyway. 

MOT this week so lets hope I don't have the 'rear brake bulb failure' that in days-gone-by the MOT centre always used to 'find'! ;-)

Fog lights do not need the headlights on; they can be lit with just the sidelights on.

On a Yeti the DRL's turn off when the side lights are on.

Sorry, I was being a bit vague as I was generalising about all cars not just Yetis and should have said side and headlights as I meant in the main unit. Had a long day doing DIY! Oh, and a drop of the red!

As regards the DRL's my point is that some are so bright (when the side/headlights aren't on) that they can be brighter than fog lights and so can be more of a distraction.

Fog lights do not need the headlights on; they can be lit with just the sidelights on.

On a Yeti the DRL's turn off when the side lights are on.

I'm quite sure mine don't. 

Not got out to look but going off the reflections in the rear of cars in front the LED DRLs stay on with the headlights.

The DRLs on my previous Yeti that didn't have LEDs did turn off.

Improved economy you would hope unless wear was that bad that compression is being lost in a cylinder or 3.

That's the peceived wisdom but my experience has always been that the best consumption figures that I achieve are always in the first couple of refills. I think that is down to me getting used to the new vehicle and being ultra careful (at first). My problem is that I am totally incapable of driving along at a steady 50-60mph and that's not the only problem I've got in that respect but I'm not admitting anything else in public!

I'm quite sure mine don't. 

Not got out to look but going off the reflections in the rear of cars in front the LED DRLs stay on with the headlights.

The DRLs on my previous Yeti that didn't have LEDs did turn off.

Yeah, we're talking about the new fangled Yetis here!

Our DRLs double up as sidelights and dim when the headlights are on - don't know why they have them stop on as well?

On the subject of lights, why do the fog lights come on when you select reverse? Can't see any rhyme nor reason for it?

My experience of VW engines is the better economy comes after you replace the Factory fill oil with a better quality oil 

after a running in period, even one as long as the First Fixed service interval, new air filter in etc. (over 8,000 miles, and improving from then on)

Maybe change from Long Life oil if not sticking with variable servicing and doing annual servicing.

The first tank fills with a new vehicle will be while the rest of the drive train are not Run in or Driven in as Skoda call it.

Still new Bearings, tight brakes etc.

Have you noticed any worsening fuel consumption as the miles increase and engine wears?

Very difficult to say as so many variables but I consistently get around 45mpg (according to the Maxidot thing) and I haven't noticed a marked change in the past couple of years anyway. I tootle about on single track, B-Roads and A-Roads mainly. Not often on dual carriageways or motorways.

On the subject of lights, why do the fog lights come on when you select reverse? Can't see any rhyme nor reason for it?

So you can see what the front is likely to swing into as you reverse.

They might not be useful in the urban setting, but rurally I find them very useful.

Re fuel:

Mine is showing roughly the same figures now as it did at 30k miles.

Edited by Llanigraham
  • Like 2

Its the issue of those that stick them in reverse regardless of where they are, who is there,

surely enough if you need Full Beam on to see where the front of the car (corners) is as you go backwards, it is simple. put the Headlights on Full Beam.

Or even manually switch on Front Fog lights.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Its the issue of those that stick them in reverse regardless of where they are, who is there,

surely enough if you need Full Beam on to see where the front of the car (corners) is as you go backwards, it is simple. put the Headlights on Full Beam.

Or even manually switch on Front Fog lights.

I have to agree. I'm no fan of automated things like rain sensing wipers that never quite work at the right pace, cornering fog lights that make you look a berk or collision avoidance systems that stop you having to be an thinking driver.

Just more stuff in the world we don't need and more stuff to go wrong. And I have had enough go wrong with my Yeti already!!

• Like 1

I have to agree. I'm no fan of automated things like rain sensing wipers that never quite work at the right pace, cornering fog lights that make you look a berk or collision avoidance systems that stop you having to be an thinking driver.

Just more stuff in the world we don't need and more stuff to go wrong. And I have had enough go wrong with my Yeti already!!

Join me in the past.

Wait a while and Apple will have an iCar.......computer/batteries/on wheels.

Might have had a few faults but when it's running it's faultless.

2WD, Nokian M&S tyres, ESP and a light touch on the throttle - not got stuck anywhere yet!

293aett.jpg

Edited by Abominable
  • Like 2

I'm surprised they don't put snow poles on the road edges....its not THAT uncommon surely.

Very common during winter. That was yesterday and easily passable, when it's not they close the snow gates. Unless the Council boys get really bored, and have nothing else to do, they don't grit it or plough it. It's one of those roads where two cars can just pass but being a quiet moor road there are always those that just go too fast. They end up in the peat, which slows then down pretty rapidly!

Utterly beautiful road, in a bleak kind of way.

2hqw09l.jpg

• Like 2