INSP indicator

Y80

Hi all,

When I start up my Citigo at the moment I get an audible sound and INSP appears on my dashboard...I understand this to be the service indicator?

When I bought the car second hand in June 2015 (62-reg) it had a service at time of purchase (before it was due - not sure exact date of previous service as it has electronic record), at 7889 miles. It had now done approx. 9600 miles.

My question is...if this alert is the service indicator, is it coming on now because it was on a timer? Or is it an indication I need to get something looked at?

Thanks in advance!

I wonder if the service indicator was re-set when (if?) the last service was done? It normally indicates a service is required when nearly 10,000miles OR 12 months has passed since the previous service. Re-setting the indicator is part of each service, which is why I'm thinking a service MAY have been missed. It usually indicates rather early....but not six months early!

It doesn't indicate anything other than "service due".

Just checked, the service interval indicator was marked as being reset on my service report. 

I wonder now if it is coming up because the car is approaching 10,000 miles, regardless of the last service?

Well, that's not how it works on any car (including several other Skodas) that I have owned....it's re-set, and that starts another 10,000mile or 12 month cycle from the re-set point.

My Citigo does a very low mileage and I get the service warning after about 11 months, irrespective of actual mileage covered.

Im very sceptical about the services which are promised when you buy the car.

I've had a few instances where ive found things havent been done. Think about it, its not really in their interest. They just want the motor out of the door and costing as least to them as possible so profits are higher.

Id have it serviced myself and start again.

As it happens, exactly this happened to me this weekend. I'd had INSP on the display for a couple of weeks, but now there was the additional 'ping' noise.

When I dropped Bob V (also a 62 reg) off for service this morning, I mentioned it to the service receptionist, who confirmed it was the service warning and it would be reset once the work was done. Interestingly, they reminded me that the MOT is now due, which I had completely managed to miss, since there is no notification from DVSA any more. Oops.

Now, if I can get them to not charge me for the service (since they managed to miss calling me to remind me, so I'm technically outside the warranty period), that would be a bonus...

Im very sceptical about the services which are promised when you buy the car.

I've had a few instances where ive found things havent been done. Think about it, its not really in their interest. They just want the motor out of the door and costing as least to them as possible so profits are higher.

Id have it serviced myself and start again.

My thoughts are the same....hence my sceptical comments above! Used-car salespersons will say just about anything to seal the deal....but a promised (before sale) service will be charged to them by the service dept.....hence, could get "forgotten".

• Like 1

This is a dealer my Dad has bought a number of Skodas from over the years, and although it's the first time I've bought from them the owner knows who I am so I'm hoping the service was done as agreed (I have all the paperwork from the service, for whatever that is worth)...but I guess unfortunately it is a concern.

I found a way online to reset the service indicator (pressing the milage reset knob when turning on ignition but not the engine), but think I will get my local independent garage I used to use for servicing old car to have a look over to make sure all is ok.

Edited by Y80

This is a dealer my Dad has bought a number of Skodas from over the years, and although it's the first time I've bought from them the owner knows who I am so I'm hoping the service was done as agreed (I have all the paperwork from the service, for whatever that is worth)...but I guess unfortunately it is a concern.

To be brutally honest, that might not stand for alot.

Its all down to making as much money as possible, and many dealers will try to pull the wool over your eyes to save a few quid if they think you wont find out.

Your best bet is an independant servicing it yeah. Peace of mind if nothing else (:

Or the tech may have forgotten to reset it. It's plausible as it wouldn't have been on and to start with Citigos didn't have service indicators.

It's sloppy but we are all human.

Risking running the oil past the 10k and up to 12k before the next change though.

I wouldnt do it to my car.. But im sure many have havent they...

It might work. But I think it starts to indicate fixed schedule after that. At least Octavia did.

If oil is VW 502 00, it has to be changed once a year, or after 15 000km.

Flexible service interval will need VW 504 00.

Who knows which oil they used? Better change oil now.

If you are absolutely sure the service was done and oil changed I would reset the indicator and make a note to have the next service done at 12 months from when they did it. If you can't be sure get it done now.