"Daddy " Phantom....

sharkrider

aaaannnnnd its still broken, yes the smoke has gone and the car is smooth, but now I have lost between 50-100bhp..... its slow..... boost levels are the same, so not the usual suspect... starting to get to me now :( I hate it when the car is buggered, and there are no funds to fix it :(

yeah , sucks.... Ive had about 30k of fault free motoring, and now its being a pain... it wouldn't be so bad if if it was just "this is broken/worn out, replace it" ... I have no idea why its lost a load of power....

just tried another coil pack, can't really tell if its any better... new MAF coming wed/thurs , if its no better after that I'm just biting the bullet and handing it over to my tame mech :(  problem is he may drive it and say "thats fast!" and I will be like... "no its not, its was much faster than that! *sigh.... 

I dunno. Frustrated. we have a great holiday book in Germany at the ring, and no really usable car at the moment....  thats very distressing. not until Sept though, I have time yet....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dubDEAN said:

i know the feeling the maf's are **** just check its working properly on live data 

Thats why I've bought a replacement.... live reading at 7k in 2nd gear was 130..... I have info stating it should be 190+ (up to 250 ?!) on a mapped car , so deffo loosing out there , we'll see what difference a new MAF makes...

I can't believe its the fuel pump, as even when it started running rough with a failing coil pack, it still went like a stabbed rat when you put your foot down... only after the coil pack replacement (I've tried 2 different ones now! ) has it gone slow :( 

don't know what to try after the maf..... at least I'm not chasing boost leaks I suppose thats something!

• Like 1

ok , new MAF arrived today....

old vs new...

IMG_0810.jpg

the old one was definatley contaminated.... (oiled performance filter?!) 

IMG_0811.jpg

new one installed, car starts and runs fine, got to drive all the way down south tomorrow, that will put it to the test!

IMG_0812.jpg

won't have time to log readings etc ... so we'll just see how it drives, if its still "off" then I'm going to start on the other coil packs first ....

• Like 2

Yep, definitely looks sticky from an over-oiled performance filter as you say.

I like the Pipercross ones, but always found K&N to be too oily so stopped using them.

• Like 1

aaaaannnnnnnd fail. 320 miles from home. wont run now, misfiring to **** .... its coming back on a truck tomorow... I tried replacing all coil packs and plugs (at stupid expense from a local place down there) and no joy. popping and banging like a b'stard.... :( just giving it to my tame mech and leaving it with him until it runs again :(

IMG_0853.jpg

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 1

update for those that are interested, after all that ****ing money and palava, my tame mech listened to all my descriptions..... and said "we'll start with the temperature sensor for the ECU as it appears to be overfuelling..." Boom.... fixed it. he has driven it about 7 miles and says it appears to be running fine.... it will have to wait till I drive it of course, but a cheap fix if thats done it! (After i spent £80 on parts trying to fix it myself!) now I need to get my NGK 7's and red top coil packs back on! 1f62e.png:o

• Like 4

ok... I thought I had lost about 50 bhp since my "troubles" started..... drove the car hard today ... and bloody hell! I think I have now gained about 100bhp back! :o seems faster than it ever has, and the "flat spot" in the mid range that seemed to be a characteristic since I bought the car seems to have gone too.... maybe the new MAF is helping it all? I know for a fact through live logging the old MAF wasn't reading enough at full throttle max revs...

anyway, the old boy is happy again! lol...

• Like 3

latest mod then, simple but effective stuff... I have the new badges on the front....

IMG_0857.jpg

and rear ...

IMG_0855.jpg

only thing left green was the steering wheel...

IMG_0862.jpg

updated with a new badge :) now it all matches :)

IMG_0864.jpg

• Like 1

engine bay now has one (very expensive) new coil pack, and three old (2 very old!) coil packs that were my spares... 

question is, do I replace the three old ones with my remaining 3 red tops? and replace the now standard plugs with my NGK 7's ? I'm a bit hesitant at messing with what now seems to be working! lol.. (and leave the new MAF in? lol.. everyone has said "only use genuine or it will all break!" lol.... going to do some live runs today and record the MAF readings, see if its better than my old oily one...)

IMG_0858.jpg

new updated (green) coolant temp sensor :)

IMG_0859.jpg

update: I did some live logging on the MAF today when driving.... old one was reading 120 on full throttle at max revs (should be at least 190 for a mapped car) new one is reading 207 at full revs max throttle :) 

• Like 1