"Daddy " Phantom....

sharkrider

54 minutes ago, andsoutham said:

Now I can say it... Roll on September! :D

Hope you guys have a great time, im already putting a shopping list together for the gsi for next year as im 100% coming

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

some brake stuff arrived for the ring upgrade! Motul racing brake fluid (I have more than that little bottle! lol) yellowstuff pads (will handle the heat better than my current £18 pads) and braided front brakelines, to replace the worn ones! 

IMG_0902.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

first long run since having the misfire cured... still misfiring on light throttle (i.e maintaining 60 mph on a flat A road)  full power still there.... took all my red top coil packs off, and put the old ones back on.... if that doesn't work, its going back to the mechanic :( really hoped this would be good for the ring trip.... looks like we may be going in the Abarth :(

• Sad 1

ok... interesting, I had been reading up on PCV systems, and thing its what was causing my occasional smoke when its been on overrun (negative pressure) for some time.....

on replacing the above valve straight away i noticed much less negative pressure on tickover than before.... used to read -0.8bar now reads -0.55 bar.... quite a difference, i wonder if may have fixed my smoke issue ? hhmmmm topped it up with oil, lets see if it uses any....

Interesting,  do you have a lot of gunk in the PCV system?  I assume the hockey puck is a one way valve.   Is it therefore just bunged up.

How much was a new one?  I'm looking at preventative fixes I can do with mine just to keep it running sweet! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leeboy said:

Interesting,  do you have a lot of gunk in the PCV system?  I assume the hockey puck is a one way valve.   Is it therefore just bunged up.

How much was a new one?  I'm looking at preventative fixes I can do with mine just to keep it running sweet! 

there didn't seem to be much gunk in it.... but its up to 179,000 miles, and things need replacing.... the pipes (Y pipe ect) have been replaced with silicon ones by previous owner, he said it was all blocked up.... there was oil on the intake side of the valve though..... new one was about £14 I think so not expensive....

IMG_0969.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

what sort of condition is your coil pack loom in? age catching up with these MK1's now, usually have cracks and splits in the loom, replaced mine and it cured misfire and lumpy idle.

6 minutes ago, andy68 said:

what sort of condition is your coil pack loom in? age catching up with these MK1's now, usually have cracks and splits in the loom, replaced mine and it cured misfire and lumpy idle.

I thought I'd bought a new one, but just ended up with 4 connectors that need splicing in.... (so haven't done it)  do you have a link to a new loom ? it is a bit fooked, but then its always been like that .....

almost certain its misfiring due to overfuelling, just don't know why :(

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 1

ok, I'm really ****ed off today, and really need the help of anyone with knowledge of the 1.8t 20v specifically in the mk1 octavia vRS... since my last breakdown on the cumbrian run, with an almost undrivable car due to misfires, my mechanic has had it for a week, and still hasn't managed to fix it, as it appears to be running correctly now! *sigh. obviously they cant drive it fast, but have done about 8 miles of "normal driving" ect on several day, and not got any faults. the only thing the diagnostics computer (proper garage diagnostics, can read everything, and report live if something isn't working, i.e throttle position ect ect ) came up with was a fleeting code of "pressure variation" in the throttle body, but my boost gauge is connected to the inlet manifold, I know this can't be an issue, as I have all the correct boost at the correct times....

so lets brake down what I KNOW, and what has been ruled out....

starting with things changed/swopped over..

1) new plugs
2) replacement coil packs
3) replacement MAF
4) replacement hocky puck (breather valve) 
5) replacement temperature sensor, this did seem to cure the issue initially, but it has come back as bad as ever, but now seem to have resolved itself.

things it isn't

1) boost leak. all correct boost arrives in the manifold when it should.
2) fuelling. there is proper fuel pressure, and plenty of fuel going in, its popping , banging, and spitting fire out the exhaust when it misfires. all unburned fuel. no lack of fuel is causing this!

things it probably isn't

1) the wiring loom, yeah its a bit old, but its always been scabby, and my mech says, "yeah maybe if its going off when its wet, but not just hot"... I can buy a new loom for £45, but I have spent hundreds, don't have any money, and currently cannot afford to throw money at it!
2) injectors, apparently they almost never go wrong, and if they were fooked, it wouldn't just stop working again...
3) O2 sensor.... don't know the reasoning behind this, but my mech doesn't think thats likley.... again, it wouldn't then fix itself.

I am at a loss, very frustrated, and cannot think what it may be! Its going to ruin our trip to germany if we cannot get it fixed, I am climbing the walls with frustration..... I need some help! any ideas would be greatly appreciated, any help would be greatly appreciated. Getting quite stressed about it 1f641.png:( I simply don't have the money to just throw new parts at it randomly trying to fix it 1f641.png:( I understand that my tame mech can't do anything, if the car tells him there is nothng wrong in diagnostics, and its appears to drive perfectly ( I will cane its ass tomorow again, knowing it will break, and take it back next week, when my braided hoses arrive....)

help?

Thanks in advance. Dave

• Sad 1

****TY TO HEAR ITS NOT FIXED :(  i cant think what it could be , they checked the parameters when driving on the maf and map sensors to check they aren't just flat lining under load ?

5 minutes ago, dubDEAN said:

****TY TO HEAR ITS NOT FIXED :(  i cant think what it could be , they checked the parameters when driving on the maf and map sensors to check they aren't just flat lining under load ?

ive done that with the torque app.... and all seems to be fine...  the computer they use says its ALL wrong, because its been mapped, so its compairing the signals to a standard octy vRS, so its all out, fuelling boost ect ..... all read "wrong" and outside perameters, but they should, its mapped. Nothing shows up as not working.  :(

• Confused 1

Thats the frustrating things though.... I can see it from their point of veiw, at the moment its working "normally" without fault... so what can they fix if nothing appears to be wrong :( gonna take it back broken next week though, going to cane its ass tomorow, get it hot and fully pushed to bring out the problem again.

• Like 1

mine was a pain at one point because the intake air temp sensor went pear shaped , but sometime it will boost fine then odd time will try boost but not, almost like the DV is sticking open :( only once in a blue moon though , had new map sensor , maf sensor, coil packs, loom , plugs , lambda's etc 

Edited by dubDEAN

boosts perfect all the time. When it brakes down, its misfiring badly, start as just a "miss" on tiny throttle inputs, then loosing power at top end, then massive misfire, often no reaction to throttle except massive explosions from the exhaust with all the unburned fuel coming through.... misfires at any rev range, from tickover to max revs.... badly misfires....

• Confused 1