Company gone bust

It will be up to date, but companies house is usually well behind anyway with the reality as won't be formally closed down there until administrators etc have done their thing....

Who is it?  It's all publically available knowledge on companies house so I don't see harm naming the company :)

Well, I assume it was. Went to the shop today, just said;

Jamie Burns was made bankrupt 21/1/16. The business has ceased trading. If you have any queries please contact Matt Rolph 01908 *** ***' 

(I've removed the whole number)

Trading under a different name on companies house?  I only see an LLP.

Kingston, Milton Keynes. Although they were in Flitwick until recently 

cheers for that there my local two as well if you get your money back within quick time try oak furniture land . I know they have a place in mk just cant remember where .got lost around the 50th roundabout

cheers for that there my local two as well if you get your money back within quick time try oak furniture land . I know they have a place in mk just cant remember where .got lost around the 50th roundabout

Cheers, we had found 2 sets we like, first was in Dunelm but the ones at this place slightly edged it. I've got the cash to get another set but really want to pay my motorcycle finance off, might have to wait and see what happens with the charge back. 

More than anything I'm angry that someone clearly does this every year or two and makes a living out of it all. I'll be keeping an eye out for any new furniture places opening up for sure.  

I see Jamie is the sole officer of the LLP however to my knowledge the LLP and him as a person are separate entities so not quite sure how that works unless the LLP was just protecting the business name and it was just trading as him as an individual.

• Like 1

I dont understand how any of it works if I'm honest. I've spoken to the 'insolvency agency' who have told me to do the whole non delivery of goods thing with the bank and that they were in the process of going through the assets and who is owed what. Took my details as a creditor and that was it, we'll hear through the post.

Annoyingly the exact sideboard we ordered is sat in the window, I thought I could see through to the loading bay area and that someone was there, spun round the back and there was no one there, just their crappy old Transit worth about £50. So rented unit, few bits of show furniture, nothing there of any value.

From what I can gather Jamie was the boss of another Furniture company a few years back also going the same way. Nice way to earn a living, I'll be keeping an eye out for any 'new' furniture places in the near future. 

You are not automatically covered with a debit card as they are not covered by the consumer credit act. There is a voluntary scheme in place for debit payments but it is not binding in law. With a credit card you are effectively borrowing the money from the credit card company. Hence it's covered by the act. When you use a debit card you are using your own money. The risk is yours.

Good luck getting your money back, had a similar situation myself but lost the whole lot. Nothing left from the administrator after the government took first dibs.

Furniture & fenestration (conservatories/double glazing) industries are full of the same type of people who set up all on the never never then "go bust" to then re-appear under new name etc, most will have nice long track record with numerous companies under their belt & most about 6yrs old.

This happened to me once many moons ago, i bought a sofa from reasonably large company in Bradford, paid cash for it and told the salesman i would pick it up the following day ( we were moving house at the time and had the use of a mates Transit, so a 10 miles detour would save me £20 delivery charge ) When we arrived the next day, we were told the company had gone bust, so all stock had to stay in the building. i could see my sofa in the warehouse, so me and my mate just picked it up, stuffed the receipt into the salesmans hand, and walked out, leaving several besuited chaps looking aghast, and a very sheepish looking salesman....good fun, if not entirely legal.

can't help with your problem though, sorry....

Edited by Mr Grumpy
  • Like 3

This happened to me once many moons ago, i bought a sofa from reasonably large company in Bradford, paid cash for it and told the salesman i would pick it up the following day ( we were moving house at the time and had the use of a mates Transit, so a 10 miles detour would save me £20 delivery charge ) When we arrived the next day, we were told the company had gone bust, so all stock had to stay in the building. i could see my sofa in the warehouse, so me and my mate just picked it up, stuffed the receipt into the salesmans hand, and walked out, leaving several besuited chaps looking aghast, and a very sheepish looking salesman....good fun, if not entirely legal.

can't help with your problem though, sorry....

When I saw the exact sideboard we ordered is sat just inside the front door, I thought I could see a rear door open and was about to call my mate having visions of what you've just said but the back was locked up when I got round there. Edited by matt1chelski

When I saw the exact sideboard we ordered is sat just inside the front door, I thought I could see a rear door open and was about to call my mate having visions of what you've just said but the back was locked up when I got round there.

It'd be a criminal offence to remove the goods though without permission from the administrators or court appointed agents/bailiffs.

• Like 1

Many years ago we had a narrow boat holiday with some friends. Knowing the guys in the yard, when we turned up to collect the boat we were told to find the biggest boat we could, no matter what we had actually hired. They filled it with diesel and gas and told us to bog off quickly without taking their fuel deposit!!

2 weeks later when we returned the boat the yard was nearly empty and the only person there was the "watchman" who had been waiting for us to return the boat. He told us that they had gone bankrupt and that we had "probably" lost our security deposit. 

They had some very nice and expensive pure wool blankets on the boat, and I can't remember where they went............................................................

Years later I ended up as the Bankruptcy Clerk for the National Insurance Dept of the DHSS in Worcester; very interesting job!!

• Like 1