Who Do People Insure With?

gumdrop

Just got a quote from LV of £185 for 2 drivers, 10000 miles 170 Yeti Elegance. Last year was £313 with Skoda Insurance with whom I shall now be negotiating when renewal comes up

That seems quite good, shows how different areas vary LV quoted me £270 and it seems our situations are very similar.

If your second named driver is your spouse, that invariably brings the quote down (as long as they have a clean license, no pending convictions/accidents, etc). It's happened so many times when I'm getting quotes that I don't even bother asking for a price without including my wife now, even if she has no intention of driving a particular car.

I've got an Admiral multi-car policy that's coming up for renewal in April. Up to now, I've been getting my cars 'on board' with the policy so this April will be the first time I've had all of them running from the same date, for a full year. Not relishing the prospect :peek: :sweat:. However, adding my new Yeti to the policy for the remainder of the current years insurance literally cost buttons. I had to laugh when they read the standard terms and conditions to me over the phone and the cost of cancelling the Yeti policy would be twice what I paid for it! Err - I'll think about that one......

Edited by Citigopher

^ seems the trick these days is to go somewhere else as you'll be "new business" and then qualify for a chunk off.

Or at least get other quotes and invite your current company to match - they often will these days rather than lose your business.

The trouble is, the true test of your insurance company really comes when you have to use them for a claim - it's so tempting to just take the cheapest, then regret it come claim time. Also - finding a name to trust can be a challenge these days - the companies keep changing their names, just to keep us on our toes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm with LV have to have business use to cover my voluntary work - even driving to a meeting is deemed business use !

That is unusual, but I suppose it depends on what the volunteering is.

Mine is for 4x4 Response work and LV had no problem with it, or insisted I had "Business Use". I am sure there was an agreement between the national Volunteers Bureau and the ABI about this.

I know that they have never insisted on Business Use for CSMA work.

• Like 1

Mine is for 4x4 Response work and LV had no problem with it, or insisted I had "Business Use". I am sure there was an agreement between the national Volunteers Bureau and the ABI about this.

Thanks for the info, will query this with them at renewal although if I remember correctly business use added only a couple of £ to price and not something one wants to argue over if you have to claim.

Dropping the mileage  to 4-5k miles on retirement made a huge difference.

Thanks for the info, will query this with them at renewal although if I remember correctly business use added only a couple of £ to price and not something one wants to argue over if you have to claim.

Dropping the mileage  to 4-5k miles on retirement made a huge difference.

Does, doesn't it! Although I didn't drop mine that low.

I used to work in volunteer management - the agreement you mention is I believe specific to volunteer drivers (so the volunteering is actually specific to giving people lifts, doing errands or transporting things). If you are claiming expenses to get to or from your volunteering it's classed as unpaid work so business use is a normal requirement. Daft I know but just thought I'd clarify.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not according to LV when I explained exactly what 4x4 Response does. The only thing they said they wouldn't cover was off-road work, which is normal anyway.

We are paid expenses to attend call-outs and one of the main jobs our Group does is transporting people like District Nurses, Care workers and medical staff at times of inclement weather. LV were unconcerned and I know from the 4x4 Response UK forum that other insurance companies have taken the same line and have not insisted on taking "Business Use". When we are carrying passengers we are covered separately by the organisations own Third Party Public Liability cover, and often by the organisation that has called us out.

This is the ABI advice:
https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savings/Products/Motor-insurance/Volunteer-drivers

And this is the list of all the insurance companies in the scheme:

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/Volunteer%20driving%20-%20the%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.pdf

NFU, that's a coincidence. I was on the phone today to them for a caravan quote. Some policies are not stand alone and you need to be insured with them for something else. So after an hour of giving household details I found they wanted over £350 more than my present company. Very good reputation and good for cars, but it appears not quite so for other insurance cover.

Colin

NFU, that's a coincidence. I was on the phone today to them for a caravan quote. Some policies are not stand alone and you need to be insured with them for something else. So after an hour of giving household details I found they wanted over £350 more than my present company. Very good reputation and good for cars, but it appears not quite so for other insurance cover.

Colin

I was with NFU as I was attracted by their new car replacement for write offs which are up to 2 years old, this saved me getting GAP insurance but as the car is now 19 months old hardly worth the extra price over other companys.

But as you say they do have a good reputation and it was convenient as they had a local office .

I'm happy with the £130 saving I made with Ageas and reasonably confident their policy will be adequate should the need arise.

I used to use NFU when I had an old Merc G wagon and owned a few acres of land. They were not cheap but covered you for all sorts of activities associated with "farming and land management" which most insurance companies excluded.