1.4 ACT DSG or 2.0 TDI (150) DSG

I've test driven the 1.4ACT in a Seat Leon ST and it made me grin somewhat.

I currently have a diesel (2.0TDI Passat) and I find it is just lazy power, but IMO there is nothing like revving a petrol to the redline and getting that feel of power from the top end.

Given the government in time are going to crack down on diesels, I would be wary as a private buyer to buy a new diesel now as there is quite an uncertain future.

Although I say this, I have ended up ordering a Mercedes C300h estate - 2.1 205hp diesel engine mated to a 27hp electric motor. That should be fun.

• Like 1

I came from a Octavia VRS 170 and bought the 1.4 SE-L DSG

to be honest I haven't found it lacking power. yes you have to plan a bit more to overtake but put your foot down and the gear box sorts everything out.

as people have said it depends on your mileage, for me I no longer do above 10000 miles a year and what with my local town on the list to ban or charge extra for diesel cars this made the choice easier.

At 350Nm I find I still get wheel spin in 3rd gear. Perhaps the FWD don't need this much already :-)

The Op is talking DSG, how do you wheel spin in 3rd gear with a DSG box as I find the traction control cuts the power. Or are you talking about potentially spinning the wheels with ESP off. Just out of interest do you have a manual and clumsy clutch control ?

I tested both prior to placing my order, and I picked the 1.4 TSI. Thought it felt more fun, faster and more quiet - and not to mention, it´s cheaper. Glad that I don´t have to worry about soot, DPF, EGR and all the things that can (and will! Currently have the famous 1.6 TDI CAYC) go wrong.

• Like 2

Today I went for the 1.4 TSI with DSG on the SE-L spec with DCC. I see VW have had timing chain issues with the EA211 engine which they have resolved by going to belts. A small twin charged engine has an amazing ability to excite and terrify all at once. Hoping reliability with will be as excellent as my current S2.

• Like 1

Apparently the belt should last as long as the car

Hmm, didn't they used to say that about DSG oil? More to the point though, and it's an entirely serious one, what do they consider a lifetime for a car? Often it's 100k miles or less, despite modern cars comfortably exceeding that or even doubling it. I'd be changing it at a reasonable mileage personally, lifetime belt or no.

I would have thought the likelihood of diesel being knocked on the head at some  time in the future  would  induce potential purchasers to go for petrol. As my mileage ( low , 16000 in 5 1/2  years ) is motorway, as yet I have not had dpf  gumming up problems but friends do, that alone puts me off from staying with diesel if I change my car. 150 ACT  manual or dsg  seems the way to go?. Pollution in towns and cities will bring about  the downfall of diesel, both in this country and Europe, so if we stay in the E U, pressure will be put on us to follow  what Europe does, Paris and Berlin are talking re banning diesels , so once they start, others will surely follow?. In America, I would say diesel is more or less dead?.