Swarfega - wassup?

vxh26

Tangentially, my workplace recently started buying vinyl gloves as a replacement for nitrile (...well, okay, as a replacement for the latex ones they got when they ran out of nitrile :x ), and I really really like them.

They're a lot tougher than nitrile; and don't tend to 'stick' as much to one's hands. (Or maybe that's just me and my mucky mitts...)

Y'know, for what little it's worth. :sun:

I use nitrile gloves most of the time now, I just find sometimes it makes it harder for me when doing some jobs so end up taking them off. May ask for those vinyl ones they sound good.

I buy the orange heavy one 4l at a time from my local Motor Factors for £7 a bottle, and use that to keep my small bottle topped up.

It's about the best stuff available, but not a patch on the original formula. I guess it's been a victim of changing regulations over the years.

I get around a fair amount of garages being a garage equipment engineer and most places use swarfega and whilst it does the job the best stuff I've come across is this stuff that ford garages use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Ford-Hand-Cleaner-5014839/dp/B00XWALU54

This is what we use in work and it's superior to swarfega.

I've been catching up with Wheeler Dealers, saw a lot of recent episodes first, now I'm watching the early ones.

It's funny how Edd China got his hands covered in grease and grime early on, but now wears latex gloves, like most mechanics these days.

I've been catching up with Wheeler Dealers, saw a lot of recent episodes first, now I'm watching the early ones.

It's funny how Edd China got his hands covered in grease and grime early on, but now wears latex gloves, like most mechanics these days.

To be fair, i know mechanic who is being treated for leaukemia which the consultant reckons was from 30odd yrs with his hands and arms coated in oil/grease/diesel and petrol soaking into his skin and it all going very wrong...

Just to be clear - I'm all in favour of the gloves, and protective equipment in general.

We're sure my father's cancer was caused by working in the manufacture of organic compounds and catalysts, e.g. napthalene, and others, for over twenty years when he died in 1986 aged 63.

"Health and Safety" consisted of wearing overalls or a lab coat.

Common for dermatitis and possibly prostate cancer too.

I generally wear gloves but I'm not afraid of a bit of grease if needs be but I do try to use some kind of restore to help with the skins natural oils.