Engine Whine noise

danm

Hi All,

I've been having a world of fun recently with my 60k 2010 2.0 140 CR diesel!  in the last 2 months it has had:

• new clutch and DMF
  • timing belt, water pump and aux belt
  • 2 new injectors

Since the recent work a high pitched whine has become apparent about 80% of the time, it sounds like alternator interference on a car radio used to.  It sounds as though its coming from the engine bay.

it doesn't do it when cold, but kicks in as the car starts to warm up.  I happens in or out of gear, clutch in or out, car moving or not moving, and although the pitch changes a little on revs, it isn't much affected by revs. 

the fuel pump under the rear seat is running quietly.

although I don't think its connected I have a slight diesel leak form the fuel filter area which I am trying to track down, perhaps diesel is getting onto the aux belt and affecting it.

I suspect an pulley bearing / tensioner most...  Any wise words from anyone?

I would say the timing belts to tight and will get a little worse as the engine warms up.

I would say the timing belts to tight and will get a little worse as the engine warms up.

Also be careful of the filter leaking with it being near the belts

Edited by Snapper1725

• 2 weeks later...

So quick update to put this one to bed,

the fuel filter had been so damaged by an inept mechanic, that I think there was air getting drawn in between the lid and can making the whining noise.

sourced a replacement housing and had it properly fitted and no more noise.

BTW the housing is £208 from Skoda! but I found a brand new one from a German ebay seller called Mteile.  arrived in three days for £78.

• Like 1