Battery drain Superb 2

splinter

I know there have been posts regarding this before BUT  I think this will be of interest to some owners.

I have a 2012 Superb Estate L&K that I bought as an ex demo at three months old.

At two years old it developed a problem with a flat battery and after going to the main dealer twice with the same problem the battery was replaced and all seem well.

When it was about two and three quarters old I had the same problem and off to the main dealers it went where they kept it for three days and gave it back with a fully charged battery and I was told "there is nothing wrong with it".

The same problem occurred randomly over the next few months which kept my neighbour busy with his jump leads.

At about the three and a quarter year period I took it back to the main dealer (out of warranty!) and they kept it for four days once again and could not find a fault, so I picked it up and replaced the battery.(They did not charge looking at it :clap: )

Things were fine for a couple of weeks then it all started again so I bought a battery charger and kept charging it about once a week.

I then disconnected the columbus unit for three weeks as the problem still existed as with the TV tuner for a week.

I then bought a digital clamp meter and there was around a 500ma drain so I reconnected the columbus and TV tuner and there was no difference.

I then connected Vagcom micro can and there were 21 faults on the car. Most were low battery problems.

On clearing the faults I came across one on the drivers seat memory button number 3 which I never use.

I removed the switch bank and the fault was gone,connected it back up the fault was back. I then dismantled the switch and there was evidence of water as in white chalky marks and on closer inspection corrosion and burn marks on the circuit board.

I went to the car this morning to check all OK and battery was fine and no fault codes however when I checked the seat the position where the switches should be was wet.

It appears that when the car is wet and you open the door the water runs off the roof and straight into the switches!!!

I hope this is of help and I am 99.99% sure it has been my problem.

New switch bank on order and I will put some clear tape over it when it is fitted.

• Like 1

I'm having the same issue.

Battery went flat late December 2015 - took car to local dealers "sir doesn't drive it often or long enough to charge the battery" - I pondered that one as I had only done 4k miles in 2015.

went flat in late Jan 2016 - I charged the battery - the delership sorted the folding mirrors that didn't !

Went flat again last night - jump leads and a long run - seems OK today

Manufacturers warranty runs out today - so I have contacted Skoda Uk and been to my local dealership "Sir would have to pay for the investigation of car and battery - if its a manufacturing issue you would get the money back"

I could just buy a decent Bosch battery BUT, if its the car causing the drain, I will have to get it investigated.

I have extended warranty and it is going in for a service next week - will get them to loog at the battery issue and sort the mirrors again !

Won't be a water issue - my seats have water proof covers

Original battery = Moll 70Ah

Chris

Edited by Skoda4x4man

New switch with protective plastic over it fitted. This has definitely solved my problem.

Skoda 4X4 man.... Have you tried unplugging the aforementioned switch as you may have a jammed button as we drag our backsides over them getting in and out of the car.(just a thought)

Disconnect the switch for a few days as the rest of the controls on the seat will work without it.

If it is the switch you will know very quickly!!

Just had a call from Skoda UK - I will have to pay for the diagnostics and then claim it back !

I might just say no and self diagnose.

Its going in next week for a service - 3 years old but, only has 17780 miles on it ! (long story short - initial dealership/sale issues + fell out of love with it)

Chris

Disconnect the switch for a few days as the rest of the controls on the seat will work without it.

If it is the switch you will know very quickly!!

If only it were that simple, the drain on mine comes and goes so it would have to be tested over months not weeks.Thank you anyway.

IF

how are they set to shut down ? - Skoda only ?  VCDS ?

Chris

As a rule they will be shut down by the CAN bus. Its a thing called network management. Basically when you switch off the car all the modules decide when they have finished doing what they need to and are ready to 'go to sleep'. They set a signal on CAN. When all of the modules have set the sleep indicator, they all go to sleep and don't take much current.

Various things can wake up one module which will then wake up all of the others. For example if you shut the door and leave it then the car goes to sleep. If you open the door, the switch in the latch wakes the door module which then wakes up the other stuff including the instruments so the door open display pops up. Thats one reason why stuck switches can keep the modules awake and flatten the battery, though it shouldn't happen. It could also be just that module not sleeping properly because of the switch but the rest of CAN is asleep.

Edited by lowedb

I had my battery and a software update due to a current drain but in my case it was the entrainment system that was drawing off 5-7A for a period after switching off (not regen). This cause the obvious flat battery several times with the car not showing any faults.

It was a VW breakdown mechanic who told and show me to disconnect fuse (I think) F7 but don't hold me to that fuse number and the current draw stopped. He had dealt with three of these himself.

VW know this and now it was on the recovery notes it was seen, authorised by Skoda UK and rectified by my dealer.

After another episode of a flat battery - I spoke to Skoda Customer services and today I have a new Varta battery (72Ah)

Lets se how we get on now !

Chris

• 1 month later...

The dealer "investigation " probably comprises of leaving it parked up for 3 or 4 days and seeing if it starts

In my case, the 3 - 4 days involved hooking various sensors to the electrical system and feeding these into a laptop to record unexpected electrical activity. The boss technician (who I have known for 16 years as he has transitions through Peugeot, VW and Skoda) went through it with me, rathe than getting vague feedback from Service Reception.  Although I had a courtesy car, Skoda UK donated me a free service (which turned out to be the more expensive 2nd service) to compensate for my loss of use.

Had similar experience with my superb. will be taking the switch apart to look.

Worse car I have ever owned for battery dead problems.

Same dealer experience, nothing wrong!

I think they're all trained to say those immortal words unfortunately