Injector issues on 1.6tdi, 2010 plate

I've got mine back. In the end the workshop had to try to "recondition" the injector themselves as they received the wrong size injector. Apparently they checked the mechanical part (pump) on a test bank and found it OK, and getting the control part on wasn't an issue. When I arrived at the workshop the car had been sitting idling for a good while attached to the diagnostics; we then went on a test ride where the car was much less anaemic than yesterday. The nice side-effect is that it cut the bill almost in half...

I'm crossing my fingers for the 650 or so kms we've got planned tomorrow!

I did treat the circuits to a good dose of injector cleaning additive in the tank, though. Won't do anything for the electronics part, of course.

I took what they proposed, not really paying attention as I didn't expect to find the same stuff near my home. IIRC the can (quite big) said Liqui Moly; at least Google returns images that fit my memory of the container.

• 2 weeks later...

So, what kind of injector do we have on this engine? My own mechanic told me they're expensive as we know they are because they're pump-based. The lead mechanic ("chef d'atelier") of the VW dealership (associated with the French VW headquarters and distribution hub) I visited yesterday claims the opposite.

It seemed plausible to me that a CR TDI engine would have more complex injectors: PSA call these engines "HDI", for High Density Injection. Sounds like something that could require a pump rather than some simple "good ole" tech...

FWIW, this is or has been a sort of confidential recall out on engines with pump-based injectors. A neighbour benefited from that recall when he had to have his Audi A3 2l TDI towed due to an injector failure. Limp mode didn't work for him, so he ended up in the nearest official workshop, where they replaced not just the failed injector for free, but ALL FOUR. Apparently that is/was done only for clients who suffered a failure.

It seems worth the effort to get to the bottom of this, and check if there's any chance in getting the recall applied even after repairs!

Edited by RJVB

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have had my 2010 Octavia 1.6 TDI since new in November 2010. Since then I have two diesel injectors fail, one in July 2014 and a different one in May 2015. I have done nothing wrong with the car in terms of wrong fuel etc., it has been regularly serviced and I look after it well. When I quizzed the dealer, he said there was nothing I had done or neglected to do (e.g. using a cleaning additive etc.). So it simply looks as if the Skoda/VW injectors are prone to failure, and you can wave goodbye to several hundred pounds when they do. My car has only done just over 50K miles. By contrast my wife has a Vauxhall Corsa diesel, it has done over 80K miles and she has never had a problem with any aspect of her diesel engine! 

• 11 months later...

It’s probably the injectors as they are know weak points.

1) the injectors resistance should be 170-220k Ohm 

2) they should also be insulated tested from pin to body at 500v - usually higher than 10 Mega Ohm is ok.

a large number of places refuse to test them on test benches as even after the 2 pre-checks above they can damage the boards. Your 9772 fault code doesn’t look good.

• 1 year later...

Driving a 2010 1.6TDI with 125,000 miles on, it has NOT had the dieselgate software "patch" btw.

But

I recently had the flashing glow plug symbol and very very erratic/slow driving limp mode, on the Motorway, all while towing after dark and then getting a flat to the nearside rear., all in all an interesting night!

Anyway the next morning, all was all 100% again.

A trusted local Indy read the codes, it was No 2 injector.(his first question was if the engine had had the dieselgate "patch", & he was much relieved that it had NOT)

He also stated that I would probably find steel filings in the top of the fuel filter, caused by the ineveitable failure of the high pressure common rail pump.

He stated, quietly, but catogorically, that the 1.6TDI is proving to be a very troublesome engine, and indicated various cars parked up, and itemised how  had been spent on them engine wise.

So?

If I as he suggested simply replace this injector, what are the odds of Nos, 1, 3 & 4 subsequently failing?

BTW. The wife refuses to travel in the car, bar 4 miles into the town during working daylight hours, & I cannot argue with her stance.

As someone above stated, it is not the cost of the repair but the likelyhood of another "Computer says NO" failure at any, and probably the least convienent, moment.

Marcus

N.B.

I am still driving the car on the erstwise "failed" injector, out of pure curiosity.

Edited by marcusthehat

• 5 months later...

Had injector 4 fail  at 90k miles suddenly on the smart motorway section of the M1 - reminded me of the 'limp  mode' it  went into (I think before the software upgrade). 2010 Mk 2 Octavia 1.6 tdi. Fairly scary till we found  one of the phone refuges (no hard shoulder). Skoda dealer said it had been an electrical fault. Tow-off, £500 component + seals swapout   (+ labour) She's been pretty reliable otherwise.

• 10 months later...

Hi all, 

I have suspected injector failure on my 2010 Octavia 1.6 TDI (105,000 miles).

The car chugs and has a lumpy idle 80% of the time. It cut out on me a couple of times at low speed. Sounds very "clackety" in the 1000-1500ish rev range. 

However, it is not showing any codes on an OBD2 reader. Would this indicate it is maybe something else, or is it possible/likely that faulty injectors wouldn't show a code? 

I've had a local Indy garage have a quick look and test drive. They suspect it's likely injectors, estimating big money to fix it - c. £1,300 inc. new injectors, labour & VAT. They advised against reconditioned ones based on previous experience. 

I've took the car back home as I'm not willing to spend that on it. Don't actually need it at the min. It was the economical commuter, but no longer in the office due to COVID. Unlikely to be back for quite some months and possibly continuing home working in some capacity... but I digress. 

I was thinking I could have a go at replacing them myself. It doesn't look like too complicated a job, but I'm absolutely no expert, so might be underestimating it. If go the DIY route, is there a specific injector or supplier anyone would recommend? Or can anyone point me in the direction of tips or guides on the process? 

A bit hesitant to fork out even on reconditioned injectors in case it doesn't fix it. But also realise that it is worth very little in it's current state. It's likely to be fix & sell or sell as is - I doubt I'll hold on to it. 

A bit of a ramble there, but any thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance.