Guy Martin Speed - F1 Special

Coops

Speaking of:-

Leaving aside the "lack of" that was the result of his attempt on the human-powered watercraft record, was anyone else wildly unimpressed by the Prof's "hydrofoil", particularly when they decided to try and make their water propeller work better by taking the duct off it? I think they'd have done better to ensure that the frame was high enough to stay out of the water!

Guy's plan B might have worked even better with a modern air propeller instead of a half-scale replica of a 1930s vintage Watts 2-blade,

And finally, there are articles on him and the motorcycle record challenger in this month's issues of MotorSport and I think "Bike".

I would like to have seen what a race fit Chris Hoy could have done with either of those flying boats. I wonder if he could have produced enough power to get them out of the water and so suddenly find they could really shift. Guys legs looked an awful mess. He is a tough chap though :)

I don't know if it is of interest, but if you turn over to BBC2 after the Guy show (21:00hrs) Sir Chris Hoy's Le Mans 24hr Documentary is on. I think it follows his attempt to survive the race in one piece :) 

Enjoyed this evenings programme on speed record attempt at Bonneville, hope Guy gets the chance to go back next year for another try.

There is one thing that does pee me off though..why do they show what happens in the programme at the beginning of the show?

He certainly seems a cut above their normal pilot/riders. It was interesting how he became much calmer and introverted as the program went on. I think for once you could actually see he was nervous. 

Also I thought this attempt was a Triumph works attempt. Perhaps they should get more onboard (unless I misunderstood something?)

• 1 month later...

I didn't think I would but just watched last weeks last night and really enjoyed it. Looking farward to watching the next one tonight

Edit: just watched episode 2, loved that as well!

So glad to see episode 3 is on next week :)

Edited by hutchysrs50

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up his book in tesco today, Worms to Catch'. 

Nice big print so did not need to use reading glasses.

If i go in shopping and read some every day until Christmas i should have finished it without having bought it.

Not tight, just Scottish.  Read the section on Scotland first.

• Like 1

I picked up his book in tesco today, Worms to Catch'. 

Nice big print so did not need to use reading glasses.

If i go in shopping and read some every day until Christmas i should have finished it without having bought it.

Not tight, just Scottish.  Read the section on Scotland first.

Think it is £7 in hardback on Amazon rather than the £20 RRP.  

Whatever he does it is hard to ever top being an Isle of Man contender which is bravest of the brave in my book, must go one of these years.

Think it is £7 in hardback on Amazon rather than the £20 RRP.  

Whatever he does it is hard to ever top being an Isle of Man contender which is bravest of the brave in my book, must go one of these years.

I may have said this already, but I'm oddly pleased that he never won a TT race, because he's now clearly the best rider to have never won a TT race.

I've just got 'Road' Blue-ray through from Amazon so will be interested to see how that compares to "Closer to the Edge".

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Guy's latest book "Worms to catch".

Another really good read, would recommend.

Some good coverage on his cycling, attitudes to TV work and racing.

• 10 months later...