Touch up recommendation for petrol blue

I've spotted a couple of minor stone chips in my paint work, and wondered if anyone has any recommendations for touch-ups on metallic paints. I've had a quick look through various reviews, and couldn't find any consistent opinions on the various products.

Chipex looks like a good product, but while users claim it's the best thing short of a full respray, others seem to think it's no better than the Halfords kit.

You can buy a small kit at your dealer, that contains paint and clear coat in the exact colour.

^^^^ This and get some Metallic T-Cut, lay the paint on liberally and then rub down using a suitable cloth and T-Cut. It will look like new.

I wouldn't recommend ChipEx. Bought a kit for my previous Superb (Candy White). Paint match wasn't that close and came out slightly yellow and applying it was a PITA. The blob/wipe/rub approach just put paint into the chip then took it out again minutes later. Waste of 40 quid.

I bought a Skoda Candy white touch up kit from Halfords for my last Superb and it wasn't even close. I would pay the premium and go with the genuine Skoda product.

Bad luck with the stone chips, what an inevitable pain in the backside!

They are usually cheaper than Halfords etc.

That's how much my local BMW dealer wanted for a touch up for my M135i a year ago, I told them I only wanted a touch up tube, not a respray!! ha ha.  As mentioned earlier skodaparts.com seem very reasonable.

I got my local body shop supplier to mix up a base coat with separate clear coat. Cost about £12 I think. It's a perfect match. I tend to use a very fine brush. Almost dry brush the colour in, allow it to start going off and then load a bit of clear coat over it. Done carefully, it blends so well it's pretty much invisible.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got my local body shop supplier to mix up a base coat with separate clear coat. Cost about £12 I think. It's a perfect match. I tend to use a very fine brush. Almost dry brush the colour in, allow it to start going off and then load a bit of clear coat over it. Done carefully, it blends so well it's pretty much invisible.

Which I'm now going to have to prove after finding a pretty nasty chip on the bonnet  :thumbdown: