Mk3 Windscreen damage..

Windscreen damage.. :wall:  I didn't even notice it until the wife sat in the passenger seat this morning - it was out of my field of view behind the rear view mirror.. happened on the M56 I think the other day.. heard something hit the car, couldn't see what at the time..  thing is, not sure if this is now a WHOLE new windscreen on my mk3.. measures less than 1 inch across with the cracks, it would appear mk3 windscreens are not built to last like the old mk1 - prices for a new windscreen anyone? 1st pic is inside looking out.. 2nd pic from the outside.. I'm hoping Autoglass could fix it..

thoughts would be appreciated.

post-374-0-52284800-1458390694_thumb.jpg

post-374-0-53352000-1458390706_thumb.jpg

Never have a fix on the modern thin glass, and that is beyond a fix anyway.

How much is your Windscreen Excess, £60-75.  

Be sure they are getting the correct screen in, it is painless.

Be sure to inspect the car before the work is done, take pictures and inspect very closely after the New Screen is in.

Do not accept any scratch on paint or plastics.

Never have a fix on the modern thin glass, and that is beyond a fix anyway.

How much is your Windscreen Excess, £60-75.  

Be sure they are getting the correct screen in, it is painless.

Be sure to inspect the car before the work is done, take pictures and inspect very closely after the New Screen is in.

Do not accept any scratch on paint or plastics.

Painless really? With all the light sensors near the rearview mirror, it looks more involved than your average windscreen..

Painless really? With all the light sensors near the rearview mirror, it looks more involved than your average windscreen..

It's not any more difficult than a screen without sensors, I had a new windscreen fitted to a company car a few years back. It was a Ford Focus with the quick clear windscreen, it's all plug and play stuff so don't worry.

Your insurance company will deal with it, just pay the excess as Goneoffski says and let them sort it, doesn't even affect your premiums or NCD.

Edited by Gazbull17
  • Like 1

It's not any more difficult than a screen without sensors, I had a new windscreen fitted to a company car a few years back. It was a Ford Focus with the quick clear windscreen, it's all plug and play stuff so don't worry.

Your insurance company will deal with it, just pay the excess as Goneoffski says and let them sort it, doesn't even affect your premiums or NCD.

Do you think Autoglass or any car windscreen repairer would have the exact same type of glass with the dithered section around the rear view mirror for the sensor?  I would not want a completely plain piece of glass going in, as it's an SEL and there's a tint on the glass naturally compared to the standard Fabia S model windscreen..

Chips can be fixed very well and cheap. Some ort of glue are used and you wont notice it after repair. Be careful to cover the chip until repair can be done, most car glass compnies and, at least on this side of the seas, the insurance companies, provide small patches for the purpose.

I had the windscreen changed this week because of two major cracks caused by stone chips, those were beyond repair, emancipated at driving a dark and snowy night this winter and wasnt noticed before the day after. Too late of course. Insurance paid the change except for the deductibels of €150. Gross woild have been about €500

A chip repair would have been €25 in total.

Edited by pfaff

Do you think Autoglass or any car windscreen repairer would have the exact same type of glass with the dithered section around the rear view mirror for the sensor?  I would not want a completely plain piece of glass going in, as it's an SEL and there's a tint on the glass naturally compared to the standard Fabia S model windscreen..

No, they fit clear glass and supply a pair of sunglasses in the correct tint.

....only joking, they fit the exact like for like glass, once it's replaced, that's if it needs replacing as they may be able to repair it, you will not know that a new screen had been fitted.

No, they fit clear glass and supply a pair of sunglasses in the correct tint.

....only joking, they fit the exact like for like glass, once it's replaced, that's if it needs replacing as they may be able to repair it, you will not know that a new screen had been fitted.

:) cheers mate.. I've got them booked in for Tuesday for a replacement.. the four small cracks could get bigger, especially with our crap roads in this country.. I emphasised there's a tint on the window and light sensor - is there a name for that dithered darkened dotted pattern at the top of the windscreen near the rear-view mirror?  I hope I don't loose my parking ticket holder on the right-hand side either.. don't want that to be damaged at all ;)

The windscreen will be identical if you have given them the model, said it has a rain sensor etc.

To be sure, ask the tech to show you the new one before they start work.

Just leave it parked up as long as you can so the glue sets, dont want to cause a leak.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: It was repaired in the end.. end result - a lot better than it was, you can't really see the cracks anymore at all.. so Auto Windscreens did a good enough job in the end..