RNS 315 bluetooth phone volume

Does anyone know how to set the bluetooth phone volume so that it stays put?

When I make or receive a call the volume is too high, I can reduce it with the volume control but it returns to the high level for the next call.

Can you see the phonebook in the RNS315?

Can you play and control BT music through it?

Edited by RainbowFire

Sounds odd.

What year is the car?

And, indulge me for a moment, is there a box under the driver's seat, bolted to the floor?

RNS315 comes in several flavours: all have AM/FM, SDCard and Nav. Options were a combination of Bluetooth, DAB and Reverse camera input. I believe that it is possible to use the Bluetooth unit that works with Columbus/Bolero (neither of which had Bluetooth as an inbuilt option), especially if someone wanted that capability after purchase.

The absolute hard-core knowledge of if the unit has Bluetooth built-in, is to pop it out and look for a sticker with a MAC on it (8 pairs of numbers separated by colons). If it's all 0's, then no Bluetooth on-board.

2012 Seat Leon FR, should be similar to unit fitted to Octavia.

Bluetooth is working fine, it's just that the phone volume seems to be preset at 16. I can change it in-call to 9 which is about right but the next time I use the phone it's back up to 16.

The main problem for me is that I use "Camera Alert" set to use the Bluetooth phone input and every time it reports a camera it blows my eardrums out. 

I hate technology that has a mind of it's own.

From Googling it appears you are not the first to have such problems with RNS 315 volume settings. OK but I have to suggest/ask, have you tried re-setting the unit to Factory defaults.

2012 Seat Leon FR, should be similar to unit fitted to Octavia.

Bluetooth is working fine, it's just that the phone volume seems to be preset at 16. I can change it in-call to 9 which is about right but the next time I use the phone it's back up to 16.

The main problem for me is that I use "Camera Alert" set to use the Bluetooth phone input and every time it reports a camera it blows my eardrums out. 

I hate technology that has a mind of it's own.

The question which was asked was "Do you have a Bluetooth unit under the drivers seat, or is the Bluetooth part of the head unit?" The answer to this question will help people with the diagnosis of your problem. If Bluetooth is built into the RNS315 then the problem will certainly be with the head unit. If you have a seperate Bluetooth unit then it could be an issue with that unit, not the RNS315.

I considered a factory reset, but decided against due to all the work setting it up again.

I can't see anything under the driver's seat that looks like it could be a Bluetooth unit. If it helps, the car is a Supercopa and had every extra factory fitted as standard.

I considered a factory reset, but decided against due to all the work setting it up again.

I can't see anything under the driver's seat that looks like it could be a Bluetooth unit. If it helps, the car is a Supercopa and had every extra factory fitted as standard.

ahhh then you may never know. You are spending a lot of time now messing about anyway.

ahhh then you may never know. You are spending a lot of time now messing about anyway.

True, but the thought of trying to stop it playing any music file it finds on my phone as soon as it connects fills me with no enthusiasm. Nine times out of ten, when I do a factory reset on something, I spend hours getting it back to normal and the fault is still present.

Also there's all the nav info, or is that separate?

Edited by gevans

As there's nothing under my driver's seat I assume that my RNS315 has the Bluetooth built into the head unit. My gut feeling is that this is not a hardware related problem.

Edited by gevans

Personally I'd go for a factory reset first. RNS315 isn't that hard to do, and there's not many settings to put back.

Although when my phone (Galaxy Note 3) connects, I get no noise at all, just a message on the display saying the phone has connected.

I've never looked to see if adjusting the in-call volume actually adjusts the volume in the head unit or with the phone. Maybe adjusting te volume at the phone end will resolve the issue. If it needs re-adjusting, a piece of software like Tasker can reset the volume to a desired level whenever the phone connects to the headunit, or a call comes in (clever software is Tasker)

I take it that we are dealing with a real RNS315 and not some cheapo knock-off imitation. (they are around)

Personally I'd go for a factory reset first. RNS315 isn't that hard to do, and there's not many settings to put back.

Although when my phone (Galaxy Note 3) connects, I get no noise at all, just a message on the display saying the phone has connected.

I've never looked to see if adjusting the in-call volume actually adjusts the volume in the head unit or with the phone. Maybe adjusting te volume at the phone end will resolve the issue. If it needs re-adjusting, a piece of software like Tasker can reset the volume to a desired level whenever the phone connects to the headunit, or a call comes in (clever software is Tasker)

I take it that we are dealing with a real RNS315 and not some cheapo knock-off imitation. (they are around)

Okay, all working now. 

After messing about with it for another half hour I bit the bullet and did a factory reset from the green phone menu. It deleted the pairing and all phone settings, when I re-paired, it downloaded the phonebook etc and worked as before, except that the volume is lower for a given setting and it now stores the last volume setting, which is as it should be. All other settings, nav and radio were untouched.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

• Like 2

The RNS315 can have Bluetooth built in, or it might not have it. Don't assume that a car with an RNS315 and Bluetooth is a combined unit, unless the above checks have been done to prove it.

But specifically for a mk2 leon, its under seat for rns 510 and inbuilt for rns 315, for the factory fitted at least. I know this as I have one and have done lots of research on the subject.

Aaarrgghh....

Went out today and it's back to square one. Probably to do with the unit not actually turning off for a few hours and going back into the "bad" mode on a restart.

I had a problem last year when I was in an underground car park and the satnav initialisation messed up. Could I reboot the unit? Could I hell! I had to use my phone for navigation for an hour or two. I checked online later and apparently there is no way to reboot an RNS 315 other than to turn off the ignition and wait a few hours for it to turn off fully, or disconnect the battery.

I'll have to go back to my old method of using media which works fine, problem is I can't use the radio.