How have bikers become so arrogant?

goshow

I've been riding bikes for over 30 years. My current trundle is a 2015 Aprilia RSV4 Factory. Over the years I've owned loads of different bikes or all shapes and sizes. One thing I've always done is nodded at bikes travelling the opposite way. Not always a nod but always an acknowledgement. I'm not fussed what I'm nodding at (apart from step through mopeds. I detest them).

Today I've been out on the bike and as it's been a cracking day there's been loads of bikes out (Lincolnshire / Willingham Woods). I must have acknowledged over 50 bikers and no more than 5 offered a response. Is it a dying trade?

Also, why don't bikers help other bikers out anymore?

I was between Wragby and Bardney on the B1202, and I wasn't hanging around. I passed an R6 at the roadside with the rider stood by the side. So, I turned round and went back to see if he was alright. It turns out the fuse had blown on his fuel pump, so I gave him a spare off mine. The bloke reckoned he'd been passed by a good 40 bikers and I was the first to stop in almost an hour.

I'm not blowing my own trumpet here, as this kind of stuff is what ALL bikers used to do. They'd help out their fellow man in a time of need, or at least acknowledge them.

Am I in the wrong here, have times changed that much? 

Edited by goshow
  • Like 2

Nah you're right. I always nod (apart from Harley riders, unless they nod first) and it isnt exactly a massive number that nods back.

Ive stopped to help bikers loads too when ive had chance. Even came home and got the T5 once, put a blokes bike in the back and drove him an hour home. But ive also had punctures and nobodys stopped.

I am guilty of not always nodding. If im watching a car, going abit quick or just generally need to watch whats going on, i dont nod of course.

• Like 1

It's the way of the world, on a similar note I've been into my old VW's for about 20 years. Folks always used to wave, stop for someone in bother, just randomly start having a chat, and generally help each other out. Now most old VW owners are too busy looking cool or trying to find a way to make a profit out of the things.

It's the way of the world, on a similar note I've been into my old VW's for about 20 years. Folks always used to wave, stop for someone in bother, just randomly start having a chat, and generally help each other out. Now most old VW owners are too busy looking cool or trying to find a way to make a profit out of the things.

So the traditional "VW" hang loose wave is now a thing of the past too? 

vw-wave.jpg

Maybe its just one of those things that dawns on you the first time you're sat at the side of the road lacking a tool/part/phone/gallon of fuel and hoping someone would stop.

It does still happen though, about this time last year I was going up a dual carriageay to a roundabout and the lad at the front messed up his braking and dropped his 125. There must have been 6 of us over and helping him in about 30 seconds. Turned out 3 were bikers, but everyone was the older end (I was the youngest person who got out to help, and I'm in my 30's), so I don't know if says something about generations and attitudes. It was really great to see everyone pull together for him though, no egos, just made sure he was ok, got him up, calmed him down, sorted his bike out and asked if he wanted a lift into college. 

Maybe its just one of those things that dawns on you the first time you're sat at the side of the road lacking a tool/part/phone/gallon of fuel and hoping someone would stop.

It does still happen though, about this time last year I was going up a dual carriageay to a roundabout and the lad at the front messed up his braking and dropped his 125. There must have been 6 of us over and helping him in about 30 seconds. Turned out 3 were bikers, but everyone was the older end (I was the youngest person who got out to help, and I'm in my 30's), so I don't know if says something about generations and attitudes. It was really great to see everyone pull together for him though, no egos, just made sure he was ok, got him up, calmed him down, sorted his bike out and asked if he wanted a lift into college. 

I dno if its age tbh. I'm 23 n i'll stop n help any biker if i can. So will alot of my biker mates. 

But certain biker mates who have just started out without any previous experience of bikes dont seem to get it. They just treat it like a car but its on 2 wheels. Not young either, one is 40 odd n i dont think he has a clue about the entire thing. 

I don't know about arrogant. Dangerous springs to mind. Having only passed DAS in Aug 15, I am constantly being overtaken at well above legal speeds approaching junctions or stopped traffic, probably just to show me how 'well' they can ride. Topped off by a lunatic showing me how it was done last weekend, howling by about 80-90 towards a tightish left hander with restricted sight lines on a greasy twisting country road during my Bike Safe observed ride. The advanced observer agreed with me at our coffee stop that our heroic racer was a danger to himself and other road users. I'm all for a bit of throttle action on 2 or 4 wheels, right time and right place is required.

• Like 1

I don't know about arrogant. Dangerous springs to mind. Having only passed DAS in Aug 15, I am constantly being overtaken at well above legal speeds approaching junctions or stopped traffic, probably just to show me how 'well' they can ride. Topped off by a lunatic showing me how it was done last weekend, howling by about 80-90 towards a tightish left hander with restricted sight lines on a greasy twisting country road during my Bike Safe observed ride. The advanced observer agreed with me at our coffee stop that our heroic racer was a danger to himself and other road users. I'm all for a bit of throttle action on 2 or 4 wheels, right time and right place is required.

It's always the same though. You do have to be responsible with a big bike really, you have to use it to your advantage, but plenty use it to their disadvantage. 

Give them a fast car and they'd do the same. 

This started many moons ago, I noticed a big slowdown in acknowledgement some 20 years ago... not sure it's arrogance, seems more like they don't give a stuff.

The I'm alright Jack society in full swing.

The other one that seems to stem from the same attitude and bugs me is riding about with their headlight adjusted all the way up. Yes - you're safe, I can see you. I can't see **** all else though.

Agreed.

Infact its more dangerous, as your eyes tend to get drawn to the light if you arent careful. N if you're looking there, you usually go there haha.

Sometimes its when theyve got a pillion though snd havent adjusted it down

I see what you mean; if I'm stuck in traffic in a cage I'll give bikers coming up from behind a wave to say I've seen them and a left flash when I can see a clear overtake being on, but less than 1 in 5 even acknowledge these.

The one good thing about riding / living here in general, is that the decline of society in terms of the manors thing we always tend to be 10 or 20 years behind GB. Kids have only just started answering back to their elders here, but biker manors are still 100%. Everyone nods, we all stop for each other. If you were broken down, it wouldn't be uncommon for even a biker in their cage to stop and dart off to get you some petrol if you had run dry, call round their mates for a van if you needed lifted etc. When I used to live and ride in Lincolnshire 6/7 years ago, I loved it and at the time everyone seemed to still nod then and Willingham Woods was a buzzing mecca of comradery, so much so I tried in vain to buy 3 different houses there which all fell through. I'd feel so let down if I were to go back now and found it had all changed :(

Edited by FUBAR

Must be going against the grain here but I'd say 90% of other PTWers that I nod at will nod back.

The stopping thing I think has dropped of a bit because of people stopping for a 'mobile phone break'. I've stopped for bikers who appear to be broken down only to find they're just having a break and checking their phones. I've reduced my stopping now to only if the bike is clearly broken, ie on the hard shoulder or the motorway last summer a guy was stuck there so I stopped to check on him. My mate who was ahead just carried on, it was only 10 miles up the road he noticed me not with him. 

I also stopped last year for a guy who had run out of fuel on the side of a main road round here. Spun round to get him but by the time I'd gone up to the next exit and back I could see him walking up the verge so went all the way round the houses to where he was going to come out to, stopped and offered him a lift to the station, then back to his bike. Leathers and a backpack is never fun on a long walk :D He thanked me over and over, left me with a good few litres of fuel too as a thanks. 

• Like 1

Back to stopping for bikes 'in distress' :

In the early 60s the recognised signal for needing help was a handkerchief attached to the offside handlebar

No ambiguity there!

a kandkerchief.. ill have to ask my dad if i can borrow one, just incase :D 

• Like 1

I always thought the etiquate when you weren't sure if someone was broken down was a beep and a thumbs up. The answer being a thumbs up or a big shake of the head?

That is the method I use when passing a bike that I think may have broken down. I too have turned around to help someone who has obviously in this case broken down to see if they have a phone and they had already called someone but was thankful that I had enquired.

A man (biker) in a van stopped to help when my chain guard came loose and got caught in between the wheel and frame. I was very grateful for his large lever and hammer that day. I do have recovery but he stopped within seconds of me having to stop.

Btw I have had my present bike a Triumph America (very personalised) for the last 14 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bike on a long straight passing cars behind me nicely and nearing the end of the straight moved over a bit for him to see better (was at work), he thanked after he passed and then on the tight left hand blind bend in front of me with a little layby on our side a goldwing was dead in it (steaming off) with 3 of his mates stopped with him already. The Bandit that passed me with oncoming traffic decided to perform essentially an emergency stop (to see if he could help?) but didn't get stopped until he had just passed the end of layby, by a bikes length and rather sheepishly turned his head as if expecting to see his last sight of my driving over him and waved a sorry my bad. Result all traffic behind me came round corner and had to stop dead with less and less space for the following ones. Taxi coming the other way also just exiting a blind bend stopped dead also with 3 cars behind him (good move tbh as he saw it all and prob thought I wouldn't get stopped in time, but I was empty and had no big drama. 30 miles later I stop for fuel and while waiting at some lights to turn left into filling station the bikes all back on the road catch me up and having filtered down past all the traffic toward the lights with the Bandit in the lead stopped dead and didn't want to annoy me any more. Ironically they all went in for coolant at same place lol. I really wish he had just have turned around a bit further along and gone back if he really felt the need, he nearly dropped the thing under braking ffs  :peek:

• Like 1