Stiff gears

Hi there, 2 weeks ago I had fitted one of xmans stage 1 clutches Inc dmf and a brand new sach csc. I've now managed to do 850 miles on it with mixed driving including a 330 mile round trip to Ipswich on friday/Saturday. On the end of the journey I noticed the gears were a lot harder to select, double clutching made it easier. Without the engine running and using the clutch I can select all gears perfectly. The clutch has been treated gently throughout so it's been bedded in correctly.

Any help would be great.

Have you fitted the shim kit? If not if maybe worth doing even if only as precaution.

I'd avoid that. Over shimming can cause damage to the gearbox. Only fit it if you have more than a few mm play.

I'd avoid that. Over shimming can cause damage to the gearbox. Only fit it if you have more than a few mm play.

In any case he will have to remove the cap to inspect and if you can get the shim in there then I'd have thought you would have enough play.

Work through the easy cheep options first as in oil, gear linkages, shim kit if not then maybe it's time to get the box back off.

Edited by theezenutz

Another update: went to the car earlier this evening and had a look........went for a drive and weirdly for the time I was out (approx 20mins) the gears etc were fine??? What the hell, how can something like I was experiencing disappear. I'm not counting my chickens and believe there is something not quite right lurking but this has me a little confused??

Dave.

I had to oil the gear wire. I lítet up the rubber in the end on the gear box, and put in some thin oil. After a while it was better, now the gearing is good.