Spare key for fabia mk1

HI. I have a 2002 registered Fabia with only 1 key. I started to get concerned that I might lose/damage this key so I recently looked through the manual and it says that originally there would have been, besides the keys, a fob with code numbers which is essential to obtain replacement/spare keys from Skoda. As I only have the 1 key and not this fob that is mentioned does this mean that there is no way to obtain a spare key complete with the necessary coding for the immobilizer etc.

Thanks for any advice

Skoda will most possibly want an arm and leg for  new key, but there's a lot of locksmiths that are getting into the act. One is Timpsons, who ( at certain depots) can rad your imobiliser code, cut a key and reprogram it for a lot less(lot less is around £100). I'd also check out the back streets places.I've only one key, which I guard with care, after Swibo lost hers. One place I checked out wanted £15 to cut a "just a door opening" key, and came down to £40  for a fully functioning key.

So it's worth looking around.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. Now I know I don't need this fob with the codes I will take a look at the autolocksmiths in this area (Wolverhampton) and compare their prices. Thanks again

I was told by one of the breakdown services that a lot of locksmiths have looked at how main dealers are raping motorists wallets for invading locksith territory and have decided to get in on the act by undercutting main dealers.

Skoda asked me for around £110 for a non-remote key; Timpsons wanted £107. I eventually found a guy in Leeds who'd do it for £70. He won't be any use to you but there may be a similar individual near you. See if any mates have had keys cut? My contact came from a recommendation.