What exact option kills GPS signal reception under windscreen?

Zero problems in or out of my car for my TomTom to pick up a signal. Fitted bottom right of the windscreen as low as it can go by suction cupand it works with normal 13+ satellites outta it's max of 15.

Will check reception with GPS FIX app later as requested, but what I'd like to know is if others think their Heated windscreen is actually any good? On the few opportunities I have been able to use mine it has not appeared to do anything.

Maybe I have a faulty one or there is a lottery set of good working ones (which kill GPS) and crap ones which don't work (but allow GPS reception)!!

Maybe in some they haven't bothered to even fit the element and so we have paid for nout and should be due a refund or windscreen change under warranty!

It would be interesting to know if those that have GPS problems have seen their windscreen being cleared when switched on.

I've moved my dash cam as high up as possible, just to the point where the camera misses the printed dots on the screen. 

It takes a little longer than usual to pick up the GPS signal but it gets there in the end. A cold GPS lock takes about 2 minutes, so not the end of the world. 

The GPS (or lack thereof) issue is partly down to the heated screen and the heat reflecting layer. I still think it's the heating element that causes the biggest problem as there are 2 'windows' at the top of the screen each side of the rear view mirror. These parts of the screen don't defrost the ice so obviously there is no heating element there. 

I also think the specific device being used is a big factor in all of this. The GPS chip and design of the device will have a big influence on how well it can receive an already very weak signal from space. 

have seen their windscreen being cleared when switched on.

when where nights with minus degrees i haven't use heated windscreen cause auxiliary heater

just once have switched it on to remove mist from the windscreen's inside and it gone in few minutes

It takes a little longer than usual to pick up the GPS signal but it gets there in the end. A cold GPS lock takes about 2 minutes, so not the end of the world.

Sorry, but it is!!!

I'm talking about navigation, with that high signal problems most of instructions comes ~20 meters later

I also think the specific device being used is a big factor in all of this.

The GPS chip and design of the device will have a big influence on how well it can receive an already very weak signal from space.

nop, exactly same result with several Samsungs, Sonys, LG, Asus and Leadtek LR9559x GPS Bluetooth receiver too Edited by MartiniB

when where nights with minus degrees i haven't use heated windscreen cause auxiliary heater

just once have switched it on to remove mist from the windscreen's inside and it gone in few minutes

Sorry, but it is!!!

I'm talking about navigation, with that high signal problems most of instructions comes ~20 meters later

nop, exactly same result with several Samsungs, Sonys, LG, Asus and Leadtek LR9559x GPS Bluetooth receiver too

My dash cam has traffic camera alerts built in and it's spot on every time, once it has locked on to the GPS signal. Now it has been moved to the top of the screen it works. When it was lower down it never worked once. 

GPS signal strength following on from A thread on fitting my GPS and having no problem getting a GPS signal I was requested to use an app to see if there was any difference in readings of the GPS signal from outside and inside the car well I have done it and there is a difference, but I expected that and the sat nav still works fine. here are my findings. PIC 1 inside my conservatory full glass roof and 5 large glass windows, PIC2  immediately outside the car, PIC 3 on the dash of the car. As far as I can see my conservatory is not the best of places to use GPS, Inside the car has less signal than outside but it still picks enough signal to work the system after 20seconds.

post-140878-0-61744300-1463744895_thumb.png

post-140878-0-47666500-1463744935_thumb.png

post-140878-0-23784000-1463744972_thumb.png

• Like 1

can't find, somewhere there one member wrote about his doubts Windscreen's Heater works or not -

mine works :)

on the morning made uncomplete Windscreen heater test
air temperature 15°c
Windscreen with heater On
0min - 14°c
1min - 15°c
2min - 17°c
3min - 19°c
4min - 21°c
5min - 22°c
6min - 23°c
7min - 23°c
had to drive

measured by cheap infrared thermometer
  • Like 1

I wonder how it will perform when it's -20c outside.

Starting from -20c glass temperature, you'd have to sit for 15 minutes to get the glass to over 0c and the ice/snow to start melting? :)

I doubt it would increase linearly, you would expect it to increase in temperature more rapidly from a lower starting point. When I say expect, I mean hope...

can't find, somewhere there one member wrote about his doubts Windscreen's Heater works or not -

mine works :)

That was me. I had a wet hair when I got in the car out of the rain. In my last four Skoda's (2×Superbs & 2×Octavias) the windscreen would have been virtually clear inside of a minute!

I have watched them work on a multitude of -10°C mornings with both snow and a thick frost. Never once was I disappointed in their ability to clear the screen up to 4 mins max.

I had my screen in the new car on for 5 mins and the wetness on the inside had barely changed. The convenience indicator stated it was on and the engine note changed just a fraction when switched on and off so I know it's drawing current.

I suppose I'll have to wait until the winter before seeing if its frost clearing talents are indeed worthy of the £300 demanded. If not, give me back the old heated windscreen, it worked and only sort of bothered me when driving into the sun!

PS: I'd love a Aux heater but it's not an option in UK. Shame as I reckon I would use it.

Edited by blahde2

• 4 months later...

before select option PKV(Heated windscreen) i asked dealer oportunity to check reception

and didn't noticed any signal drop in dealer's TDI ??? DSG L&K

but in my TSI 220 DSG Style are huge problems with GPS signal reception

Did you  test both cars in the same location?  maybe dealers car was in area with better signal strength, that why you did not noticed any signal drop?

After reading this post, I was concerned because I ordered a heated windscreen and still waiting for my Superb.

So I decided to do a little experience.

Completely I covered not heated windscreen in my Insignia using thick aluminium foil, to see what will happen. 

I have noticed slight signal reduction  if device  was mounted directly on windscreen. But at my location did not have any problem with caching GPS signal on my old tomtom or Samsung phone. It took few seconds after enabling devices. I also still had  2 bars 4G on my phone. Normally have 3 bars  at this location.

When phone was in my hand or box i did not noticed any signal signal reduction comparing to signal without covering a aluminium foil.

I have no idea how accurate is comparing aluminium foil to heated windscreen  but hope that in my superb the signal will be not worst like in tested insignia.

GPS signal comes from sattellites

it isn't so much dependent of area where you are, just you have to see clear sky

and GPS isn't related to GSM;3G;4G;LTE signals

GPS works much worse if you in area between tall buildings, trees....and better i open areas.  So IMO location definitely can affect the test results.

Any way, did you try to use re-radiating antenna?

for example :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IPHONE-SIGNAL-BOOSTER-ANTENNA-AERIAL/dp/B005HO0XT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476437357&sr=8-1&keywords=gps+re-radiating

Edited by Szmulik

GPS signal reception is perfect in black doted area on top of the windscreen,

that place is perfect for camera, but not for phone.

i have installed Bluetooth GPS receiver under rear window

Waze can't use it directly, have to start additionally app to receive from external device

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.mobilej.btgps

or

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=googoo.android.btgps

first always has to be started,

but second asks for pin every time Bluetooth switched Off/On on the phone

• 1 year later...

The first image is outside the car and the second is inside. So there is some drop in signal but still says it is locked. To be fair the inbuilt sat back looks fine so do not see much need for GPS on phone.

Screenshot_20180310-181434.png

Screenshot_20180310-181332.png

• Thanks 1

there is my conclusion:
only one type of windscreen got that signal suppresing "feature" -
heated + camera which is paid option

all others, including heated without camera, don't have any problems with receive GPS signal

@PSM

try out Waze
https://www.youtube.com/user/WazeGPS1

built in nav is something from previous century,

i have selected Columbus just to get display bigger than 6"

I have a nextbase 312 and the GPS reception is good enough for it to know where I am - the location is shown on the recording.  It is mounted close to the mirror on the black dotted area.  I have the later heated screen with the thin film.  I have had a TomTom in the car and it has no problem getting a signal on its internal aerial.

I had a 2012 Passat with the earlier heated screen (visible wires).  In that car I ran a TomTom 420 and 720 which had no problems getting GPS with its internal aerial when mounted centrally on the dash (over air vent).

I have driven Renaults with heat reflective screens (not heated screens) which blocked GPS - I was then using TomTom on a PDA with a bluetooth aerial.

One of the biggest factors is likely to be the aerial, just because one device gets a good reception does not mean another device will achieve the same reception in the same location.  Just because there is a signal it does not mean it is good enough for your device to pick it up. 

Choice of sat-nav - the built in one works fine:

• roadworks don't just spring up so I check before I leave.  It can make the difference between M40/M1/M11 or M40/M5 on some trips and that is not a decision you want to be making part way. 
  • Traffic is also generally known trouble spots. 
  • Accidents - I don't follow the sat nav diversions because that is what everyone else is doing. 

It is generally only the last mile that I find Sat Nav necessary.  Towns are signposted - who would believe it these days!

@IJWS15

why not write type of your windscreen for clearness?

in black dotted area reception is perfect also under heated+camera version of windscreen

but i'm guessing your is without camera, which don't have this problem at all

types of windscreen's:

1. heated+camera = PROBLEM

2. heated = no problem

3. camera = no problem

4. simple = no problem

5. ???, in far 2016. apr. dealer told me there are 5 different types of windscreens

20 hours ago, MartiniB said:

@IJWS15

why not write type of your windscreen for clearness?

in black dotted area reception is perfect also under heated+camera version of windscreen

but i'm guessing your is without camera, which don't have this problem at all

types of windscreen's:

1. heated+camera = PROBLEM

2. heated = no problem

3. camera = no problem

4. simple = no problem

5. ???, in far 2016. apr. dealer told me there are 5 different types of windscreens

Screen is heated (film not wires)

I do not have the sign recognition camera

The dashcam is mounted on the dotted area (which means it does fall off occasionally) but has good reception.

Will see if there is a visible number on the screen itself.

Makers details right hand side of screen as you look out

Skoda logo

//SAINT-GOBAIN SEKURIT

E8 (in a big circle) followed by DOT617 M456 AS1

43R-003993

IR/NA CCC(in a big oval) followed by E000204

...... 7

Can't upload picture on this computer.

Can from phone.

20180314_085315.jpg

Edited by IJWS15
  • Thanks 1

my problematic windscreen - heated(film not wires) + assistant's camera window + heat reflective coat:

Skoda logo

//SAINT-GOBAIN SEKURIT

43R-003993

IR/NA CCC(in a big oval) followed by E000234

...... 6

20160404_112556.thumb.jpg.3ecf71e95a3d8fd7d153eac9761f5d54.jpg

8 hours ago, IJWS15 said:

Makers details right hand side of screen as you look out

Skoda logo

//SAINT-GOBAIN SEKURIT

43R-003993

IR/NA CCC(in a big oval) followed by E000204

...... 7

Can't upload picture on this computer.

Can from phone.

20180314_085315.jpg

What doesn't make sense is the date would read as June 17 but the car was delivered in April 17 (07 can't be right)

Has not had the screen changed - unless something happened at Service that skoda have not told me about.

18 hours ago, MartiniB said:

my problematic windscreen - heated(film not wires) + assistant's camera window + heat reflective coat:

Skoda logo

//SAINT-GOBAIN SEKURIT

43R-003993

IR/NA CCC(in a big oval) followed by E000234

...... 6

20160404_112556.thumb.jpg.3ecf71e95a3d8fd7d153eac9761f5d54.jpg

Looking at mine again it is probably a "3" and the dots and number appear to be the date of manufacture so we have the same screen, unless there are other numbers somewhere on it.

Edited by IJWS15