Glove box rattle?

I know this has been mentioned in the past and also it's been a Fabia MK 2 problem reading their boards.

Has anyone noticed an annoying rattle coming from the glove box area on their MK 3?

If the car is quite warm or been in the sun for a while it seems to diminish a little. On some roads surfaces it's at its worse and drives me mad.

I don't fancy handing it to the dealer where a 19 year old mechanic might screw it round an industrial estate on his way to pick up the bacon butties and come back saying 'no problem',then spraying some wd40 in there to say they sorted it. (me?synical?)

Just wondered if someone else had this and fixed it?

It does spoil the driving experience

Remember this advert?

Well I'm going to try and tackle it this week,and if I don't succeed then it's down to the dealer.

I read on another Skoda forum here that someone had their whole glove box replaced due to rattling noises.

Mine rattles as well on a certain type of road at certain speed, really annoying, especially that while i'm driving i can't really jump on the passenger side in yoga positions to listen for the source, but i'm sure it's coming from glove box area.

I tend to say that most dealers and their representatives have mild deaf syndrome, or i might be having supernatural hearing, since not a single time they could hear the sound/clink/squeek that some of my cars have had, and those are dealers from all over europe with many makes of cars.

Try the seat height adjuster handle. They tend to rattle against the plastic trim. I've put a piece of stick on felt under mine.

• 5 years later...

I have just fixed a rattle in my glove box. The handle was very slightly loose when the box was closed. I stuck a little of the soft velcro to the glove box door so that the handle would rest against that. Just behind the top of the handle. Very thin velcro and very little needed. I am sure there are other ways of taking up the slack in the handle. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

On 05/07/2021 at 11:13, William2 said:

I have just fixed a rattle in my glove box. The handle was very slightly loose when the box was closed. I stuck a little of the soft velcro to the glove box door so that the handle would rest against that. Just behind the top of the handle. Very thin velcro and very little needed. I am sure there are other ways of taking up the slack in the handle. 

That sounds very reasonable to me, there can be a slight gap and on many such compartments(?), drawers(?), glove boxes there are (used to be) sometimes little soft pads that allow a little give when pushed shut and give a bit of springy tension to hold the latch(?) firm and stop vibration and rattle.

Well done, a cheap easy and effective cure, but to be fair to dealerships if they offered such most customers would like it, but they might accept it from an independent or advice from a friend or source such as this.

Well done again.

I found another rattle in this area. 

It's the bonnet release handle resting against the trim when in the closed position. 

My solution was to slide a little piece of black heat shrink under the door rubber so that it sticks out and in the path of the edge of the handle making contact with the trim. 

The heat shrink I used was 15mm wide and cut 18mm long, just enough to stop the rattle. 

• Love it! 1

I found another rattle in this area. 

It's the bonnet release handle resting against the trim when in the closed position. 

My solution was to slide a little piece of black heat shrink under the door rubber so that it sticks out and in the path of the edge of the handle making contact with the trim. 

The heat shrink I used was 15mm wide and cut 18mm long, just enough to stop the rattle. 

I removed the Velcro from the glovebox handle as it seems it isn't necessary. There is movement there but no rattle. 

I did add 3-4 inches of insulation tape to the lock on the glovebox. Wrap it around the little bar that the catch goes against.

This fix and the bonnet release fix has transformed my driving experience. 

• Love it! 1

I'm the original poster of this thread.

I never did completely solve the rattle on my 16 plate.

My 68 plate has never rattled so they must have fixed or changed something. 

IIRC (always doubtful) a certain British car manufacturer from Lancashire used to put a short piece of thin plastic tubing to the bonnet hookbar to stop rattles.

My wife's 2015 Fabia doesn't rattle on the glovebox or bonnet release handle - well so far anyway. :sadsmile: