Engine Noise, Vibration and Harshness

Diesels always vibrate and buzz to a certain extent. Are you not all being too critical?

Its only a Skoda not a Mercedes.

Nope. 

This is my 3rd Superb and my 6th car with a VW group TDI engine, and none of them have vibrated through to the cabin like this. Even the older PD engines. 

Besides. I've paid nearly £38,000 for this car so it's well into Mercedes Benz territory. 

This issue has come up on several threads and I've been hoping for a eureka post which provides a definitive cause. Anyone had it fixed???

I've put up with this problem for a few months and I'm sure it's getting worse (or maybe getting on my nerves more!)

Now being booked in to dealer's for resolution. I'll post an update when fixed (ever hopeful!).

I agree that the problem is getting worse over time as the mileage creeps up. It definitely wasn't there when the car was brand new. 

£38k wow, rather you than me. That's a lot for a Skoda.

Yes, they should sort it, or let you reject it.

Friend of mine has a 6 month old Merc E350 CDi with 6k on it, cost him £29k. Its immaculate, as new and goes like stink.That's where my money would go, if I had any lol......hence I drive a 1.2 Octavia...lol

Edited by glosrich

Just expanding on my previous post.....

£38k is a big wedge of money for a car, irrespective of its badge. 

If I drove an 8 grand Dacia that sent the same amount of vibration through to the cabin, I would still be unhappy. 

All makes and models suffer with bugs every now and then, with the odd lemon thrown in for good measure. 

Diesels always vibrate and buzz to a certain extent. Are you not all being too critical?

Its only a Skoda not a Mercedes.

I have to say that some Mercedes diesel engines are particuarly ruff especially at low engine speeds.

I appreciate that some owners here are experiencing vibrations and rattles in their S3s, but to contrast this I don't have any at all in my 150 DSG.

• Like 1

I have to say that some Mercedes diesel engines are particuarly ruff especially at low engine speeds.

Best to stay clear of the 4 cylinder ones and go for the 6 cylinder, like my mates E350cdi.

He tried the E220cdi and thought it was a tractor. Some Mercedes diesels are now actually Renault engines... Lol.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 27/04/2016 at 20:32, RickTT said:

ok... So i have heard a buzzing/vibration noise from the cars dash area (ish)  which i can now replicate.

Car is a 2.0TDI 150 SE Business Combi MANUAL. - Built week 9 - 900 Miles on it.

Turned the radio off for the first time really since new to have a listen for any noises or rattles.

I have discovered I have some sort of vibration been transferred from the engine / clutch to the dash only under certain conditions.

The noise is not present when rev'ing the engine which suggests possible clutch / load vibration to me.

From Cold>>    (i need to replicate the same route when warm)

1/4 mile into route then climb steep road approx 600ft in elevation.

1st Gear  (fine no rattle)

Change into 2nd at the bare minimum RPM and plant the accelerator.

Vibration noise is transferred into the dash area from around 1500rpm to 2500rpm.  (note - this can not be felt in person, just the sound.)   (sounded likes the air vents rattling)

2500rpm onwards the noise fades out.

it feels to me like the amount of torque through the clutch is transferring from the casing to the mounts... then to the cabin.

I have also been able to replicate it a couple of times from 2nd to 4th at approx 40mph (like if you was testing if a clutch was slipping) however the road noise and speed makes it difficult. )

I would like to point out though, with any kids in the car or radio on low this masks this noise so im not sure if yourissues are louder.

To me, i dont see this as an issue due to the conditions it only occurs under. (at this stage i may add.)

Has anyone recorded the noise ?

This sounds very similar

to my own, Superb Mk3 1.6tdi 120BHP. Did anyone get this resolved? Or any videos of the sound? I could record mine today to see what people think but mine is basically what I’ve quoted. Going from 2nd to 3rd gear once I hit 2000-2500rpm I hear this whining noise and majority of the time it happens is when I’m de-accelerating from this range. Can only be heard when radio is turned down. Sounds like to me it’s coming from behind the touch screen or in the vents somewhere around there