Engine Noise, Vibration and Harshness

This has been mentioned on a few occasions in the past, across various threads and I know another member has kicked back 2 different cars with what could be the same problem: excessive Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH).

When the car is in neutral, the engine can be revved with no excessive NVH whatsoever. When the car is in gear and under load, there is far too much NVH being sent through to the cabin from the engine. This occurs in the region of 1200-2000 rpm and varies slightly between the engine being hot or cold. 

I'm just interested to know if anyone else is having similar problems? This didn't develop until around 2500 miles or so. It certainly wasn't there when the car was brand new. 

Also, It would be good to know if anyone has had this issue investigated and fixed by a dealer, or at least had the problem identified!

I would like to be as well armed as possible before taking this to the dealer for investigation. 

My initial suspicion is that something directly connected to the engine is touching or rubbing part of the chassis, sending the vibrations through to the cabin behind the dash. 

I've not been on here for a little while due to work commitments so I've lost track of what's what. 

I think someone had a DSG L&K with a similar problem, the first one was rejected and so was the second with the same problem! 

Ah... here it is: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/396499-2-faulty-superbs-thats-me-done/

It was a 190DSG L&K, the same spec as mine.....

Reading about having the car stripped and the dash removed completely genuinely scares me though  :no:

My 150 TDI DSG developed a vibration when in slow traffic with the engine speed was just above idle. Was more noticeable when the engine was up to full operating temp.

Was diagnosed as a gear cable routing issue by dealer, has been in and fixed, vibration now gone. BUT i do agree it is not the smoothest diesel engine that I have experienced especially at low speeds. Seems to be very good on motorways though :)

• Like 1

My 150 TDI DSG developed a vibration when in slow traffic with the engine speed was just above idle. Was more noticeable when the engine was up to full operating temp.

Was diagnosed as a gear cable routing issue by dealer, has been in and fixed, vibration now gone. BUT i do agree it is not the smoothest diesel engine that I have experienced especially at low speeds. Seems to be very good on motorways though :)

Thank you for that. It's interesting that yours is also a DSG, most likely the same type of 6 speed wet clutch unit as my 190. If this is a known issue with other cars, it makes my life easier trying to convince the dealer there is a problem in the first place  :thumbup:

Hey!

I've noticed vibration sound yesterday in my S3 coming from passenger glove compartment area on 2nd gear and near 2k rpm. A guy on Polish local forum guided me that the source of this could be fuel pipes which was faulty also in S2.

• Like 1

Definitely have a vibration issue from the dash at low-mid rev range when the engine is cold and under acceleration. I thought was the middle area of the dash, but last night was more around instrument area. Mines a 190 DSG L&K 2WD.

Definitely have a vibration issue from the dash at low-mid rev range when the engine is cold and under acceleration. I thought was the middle area of the dash, but last night was more around instrument area. Mines a 190 DSG L&K 2WD.

Exactly the same drivetrain as mine. It's sounding more and more like a common issue is developing. They are all DSG cars so far. My car was built around week 5.

ok... So i have heard a buzzing/vibration noise from the cars dash area (ish)  which i can now replicate.

Car is a 2.0TDI 150 SE Business Combi MANUAL. - Built week 9 - 900 Miles on it.

Turned the radio off for the first time really since new to have a listen for any noises or rattles.

I have discovered I have some sort of vibration been transferred from the engine / clutch to the dash only under certain conditions.

The noise is not present when rev'ing the engine which suggests possible clutch / load vibration to me.

From Cold>>    (i need to replicate the same route when warm)

1/4 mile into route then climb steep road approx 600ft in elevation.

1st Gear  (fine no rattle)

Change into 2nd at the bare minimum RPM and plant the accelerator.

Vibration noise is transferred into the dash area from around 1500rpm to 2500rpm.  (note - this can not be felt in person, just the sound.)   (sounded likes the air vents rattling)

2500rpm onwards the noise fades out.

it feels to me like the amount of torque through the clutch is transferring from the casing to the mounts... then to the cabin.

I have also been able to replicate it a couple of times from 2nd to 4th at approx 40mph (like if you was testing if a clutch was slipping) however the road noise and speed makes it difficult. )

I would like to point out though, with any kids in the car or radio on low this masks this noise so im not sure if yourissues are louder.

To me, i dont see this as an issue due to the conditions it only occurs under. (at this stage i may add.)

Has anyone recorded the noise ?

I had a rattle/buzz on an Octavia at those revs, I did not happen when stop and revving the engine only when moving. I looked everywhere for weeks in the end it turned out to the rubber diesel pipes where they joined the metal piping on the bulk head. You may laugh but I lay on the engine when my mate drove the car on a quite road. A cable tie sorted it out.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I have several on mine (L&K 190 DSG 2WD)

Drivers side cubby hole / coin box (by the light switch) - sorted under warranty.

Glovebox rattle, very annoying, I tightened the torx screws up that hold it in place and this helped a lot, but it still rattles, waiting on a whole new glovebox to be fitted under warranty (on back order) the alignment of the lid isn’t exactly great either.

Vibration (mainly) when pulling away or coming to a stop from the front bulkhead area, ‘fixed’ under warranty... “Carried out modification to bulkhead connection” the vibration returned about a day or two later, so it will ned looking at again when it goes in for the glovebox.

I love the car, but these (numerous) rattles / vibrations are not what I expect from their flagship £35K model.

Guys hand your cars back! The noise and problems are only going to get worse. I've had first hand experience and had 2 Superbs.

I was in a business meeting and a there was a chap from the Czech Rebulic present. After the meeting I mentioned my Superbs as a joke and you wouldn't believe it but his brother works in the factory!!! I laughed and said he's to blame. His brother actually advised him not to buy a Diesel Superb especially DSG due to the problems.

From what he's been advised, the new Diesel Superbs have problems with various components in the engine. Obvisiouly he didn't know exactly what but we exchanged email addresses and I asked him to ask his brother.

I'll try and update you all if I get a reply. I'm not going to active on this forum as I now have a BMW 730d but I would like to help others out so know one goes through what i went through.

yes, would like return my Superšhit too, BUT ...

:(

@Tonydo

you aren't alone, but i can't return car cause this will be too expensive :(

1400€ lease +

300€ bottom protection coating

300€ black film on the roof and transparent arming film on windows and front lights

500€ CeramicPro coating

1000€ Sound Deadenin

~2700km on the clock in ~7 weeks

additionally to Rattles i have huge problems with GPS signal reception under windscreen

i can only imagine how it when compared to BMW 730d, but even brand new Hyundai Sonata was more silent

yes, would like return my Superšhit too, BUT ...

:(

i can only imagine how it when compared to BMW 730d, but even brand new Hyundai Sonata was more silent

Ouch! You've spent some money. My wife has a Kia Sportage and that's so quite compared to the Superb.

There's just something not right with them and even Gizmo is having problems

And I couldn't understand why any country's Skoda-Auto dealer websites don't contain contact info

i have guess some emails:
'[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'
and sent

Hello!

please remove the lies from your web page - these phrases aren't about Škoda-Auto!
160429_skoda-auto.cz.jpg

still no answer received on previous email i sent

MB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 11:22 AM
To: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'
Cc: 'John Deer'
Subject: Skoda Superb III problems

Hello,

I have managed to find this email http://skoda.polbisauto.pl/en/company/compliance

I have read that this email address isn't for issues related to "product service and/or quality".

But as you know, "Škoda doesn't provide any relevant contact information,

so could you please forward this message to the correct department.

After owning two Audis(used) and one Hyundai Sonata(brand new), I have made a huge mistake and purchased a Škoda Superb Mk.3.

TMBAD9NP6G7xxxxxx

Congratulations to your marketing department. Judging by the price tag and various adverts in the media,

I had the feeling I was going up a class or two compared to the Hyundai.

Unfortunately not, how can a smaller member of the VW Auto Group compete with a Korean giant such as Hyundai?

I have already spoken to the service department of my local dealer, as well as sending emails to the owners of Karlo Motors Latvia.

The polite answers I received haven't been of any help, because they cannot answer the questions if they themselves don't really understand!

The biggest issue by far is the huge rattles:

and i'm not unique - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/384277-noise-in-rear-suspension/

The response from the dealer is:

'Problem is a known issue and a solution will be completed shortly'.

This has been going on for more than a month now, but I know someone waiting for a fix going back to November 2015.

What I would like to know is how does such an issue go through quality control?

The following video shows that the relevant tests for rattles are done at the factory:

When will the fix be finally released?

What compensation is planned for this fault?

It is extremely annoying and frustrating to drive a brand new car, which has rattles that would be associated with a car that has 200,000km on the odometer!

Another big problem is the lack of GPS signal under the windscreen:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/395894-what-exact-option-kills-gps-signal-reception-under-windscreen/

The answer from the dealer:

'This is because of my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 or the Ceramic Pro Nano coating on the car.'

The answer is almost funny, but only if it wasn't meant for me!

Why are there different types of heated screens produced? some with and some without GPS reception problems?

the part code is exactly same - 3V0845011AENVB

Why should I have to accept problems with my(TMBAD9NP6G7xxxxxx) car, when other(TMBAJ9NP6G7xxxxxx) cars don't have the same problems?

Why aren't there any warnings of possible GPS reception issues in any of the Škoda Superb literature, or configurator?

in case my car has Auxiliary Heater i have never use Heated Windscreen.

Why doesn't the Phonebox provide a GPS signal, only GSM?

Why can't the Columbus Bluetooth connection provide GPS data?

Why can't the Smartgate provide GPS data?

What is the solution to this problem?

The Smartgate is a pretty useless option:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/395057-phone-connectivity-columbus/#entry4585031

Dealer answer:

'WiFi direct is not present due to security concerns.'

And develop two independent Wifi points in the same car also isnt't smartest idea.

In Mirrorlink, I can only see Škoda's apps, not Goolge Maps, Spotify etc:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/394910-waze/#entry4583898

Some additional minor disappointments:

Engine cooling fan is louder than any other car i've ever driven. Even when the engine is cold, it sometimes runs at full speed.

The 2.0TSI engine with 220PS has exhausts turned down like a diesel car - why?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/392652-exhausts/

Škoda's Roadside Assistance only lasts for two years with the 5 year extended warranty. Hyundai's was 5 years by default.

The fire extinguisher is installed in the luggage compartment, not under the passenger seat where it would be needed most.

The dealer's answer:

'In Latvia, the certified size for an extinguisher is 1kg, and there hasn't been a holder developed for such a size.'

The Auxiliary heater menu does not contain an option for Mon-Fri.

The engine start/stop button would be better suited near the gear selector - as found on the Passat.

And finally, how about preventing start/stop from operating when give way and/or stop signs are detected in front of the car via Travel Assist sign recognition.

MB

there is only answer:

Ref. no.: VW-2016/04-039075

29 April 2016

Dear Mr. MB,

Thank you for contacting us.

Your correspondence has been forwarded to ŠKODA AUTO a.s. They will handle your concern.

Although ŠKODA is part of the Volkswagen Group, they are an independent brand with their own Customer Care team.

The postal address is:

ŠKODA AUTO a.s.
Kundenservice
Vaclava Klementa 869
CZ - 29360 Mlada Boleslav
Phone: +420-326-811111
Fax: +420-326-816221
E-mail: [email protected]

They will provide you with all necessary information you may request about ŠKODA.

• 2 weeks later...

I collected my Superb L&K 190 DSG 4x4 a couple of weeks ago and have noticed quite a few unwanted noises from inside the cabin, just wondered if anyone has experienced any similar, if so have you fixed them and how?

1. Under acceleration, at around 2500-3000rpm fairly loud vibration from centre of the dash, sounds like the air vent behind the centre canton speaker.

2. Loud vibration near the parcel shelf area caused by the canton subwoofer, I think it's coming from the high brake light plastic cover.

3. Creaking/Squeaking from all directions in the car! I think this could be down to the rubber door seals after a Google search, has anyone else experienced this on the S3? It's quite loud, I really noticed it when parking in an rather bumpy car park at the beach last weekend, driving very slowly over small bumps the whole car was creaking and squeezing, sounded like the whole car was going to break in two!

I also have a Superb II Elegance 170bhp 4x4 that I have owned for 5 years now and have been very pleased with, hence buying an S3. I have to say though I am not all that impressed so far with what should be an upgrade! The new 190bhp feels slower, less responsive (hesitation on pulling away), less fuel efficient, and has a LOT more noise inside the cabin.

SIII 190 DSG L&K, with 15k on the clock and has always made a vibration noise when accelerating firmly to hard. Sounds like an exhaust/manifold/shield kind of connection being loose and would think it comes from engine compartment not inside....sounds like a Ford Fiesta Popular, not what I expected from flagship model, Havent bothered to do anything about it yet but will expect some serious action from Skoda when it goes in for it`s first service! Never had this on Superb I.

SIII 190 DSG L&K, with 15k on the clock and has always made a vibration noise when accelerating firmly to hard. Sounds like an exhaust/manifold/shield kind of connection being loose and would think it comes from engine compartment not inside....sounds like a Ford Fiesta Popular, not what I expected from flagship model, Havent bothered to do anything about it yet but will expect some serious action from Skoda when it goes in for it`s first service! Never had this on Superb I.

I think it's something vibrating against the bulkhead between the engine and the dash, therefore the vibrations are being transmitted into the cabin. It's usually worse under harder acceleration but can also do it on idle when cold. 

Diesels always vibrate and buzz to a certain extent. Are you not all being too critical?

Its only a Skoda not a Mercedes.

I am definitely not being too critical. My previous cars have been diesels. I have not had anywhere near as many creaks, rattles and buzzing noises in any of them. I'm getting a bit disheartened with it now as I want to enjoy the car. The engine is also hesitant (not like a turbo lag feel) it lulls then seems to want to fly. Wish I'd kept my mk2 Octavia now, ok not as comfy or plush but I didn't have a single gripe with it.

I think it's something vibrating against the bulkhead between the engine and the dash, therefore the vibrations are being transmitted into the cabin. It's usually worse under harder acceleration but can also do it on idle when cold.

This issue has come up on several threads and I've been hoping for a eureka post which provides a definitive cause. Anyone had it fixed???

I've put up with this problem for a few months and I'm sure it's getting worse (or maybe getting on my nerves more!)

Now being booked in to dealer's for resolution. I'll post an update when fixed (ever hopeful!).

Diesels always vibrate and buzz to a certain extent. Are you not all being too critical?

Its only a Skoda not a Mercedes.

I have owned diesels for the last 12 years and this is the only one that rattles, it's more of a heat shield or engine ancillary resonation than the engine itself.

Edited by Gizmo68
auto correct!