Eco Mode ... Is it worth using ?

I find Eco mode makes a huge difference but again using the technique above. I have also found that after breaking if you give the accelerator a little tap with your foot the car goes back into coast, its become second nature and now use it all the time when driving around during normal working hours when the roads are busy. I have it in individual as the above with just the drive set to Eco, then blip it into sport using the stick when I need to overtake or something, then back to Eco. 

• Like 1

I tried it again yesterday and found the economy got worse and the ride was terrible. I was constantly having to get the gearbox to change to where it should be for power. Pulling away at roundabouts in Milton Keynes became positively dangerous in 'E'!

My take on Eco mode is it is perhaps for mile munching journeys on motorways. Everywhere just seems pointless.

Edited by FelisBengalensis

My take on Eco mode is it is perhaps for mile munching journeys on motorways. Everywhere just seems pointless.

I agree but in that situation I use ACC a lot thereby not getting the benefits of ECO

• 5 years later...

The fuel consumption isn't that impressive to be honest in eco mode, have a look at my driving data..not impressed.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dadys said:

The fuel consumption isn't that impressive to be honest in eco mode, have a look at my driving data..not impressed.

Guess it depends which motor you have :) I had some decent results the few times I tried it but it takes a good technique to get the best.

However 280 horses and eco mode ? Nah ….

• Like 1

Eco mode for driving in the city,I don't drive aggressively at all to be honest

8 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Guess it depends which motor you have :) I had some decent results the few times I tried it but it takes a good technique to get the best.

However 280 horses and eco mode ? Nah ….

6 minutes ago, dadys said:

Eco mode for driving in the city,I don't drive aggressively at all to be honest

Never said anything about driving aggressively ? 

In my testing on a 3 mile commute to work over 3 weeks using eco mode made hardly any difference to normal mode.

Using eco mode on a holiday trip made a decent  difference.

15 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Never said anything about driving aggressively ? 

In my testing on a 3 mile commute to work over 3 weeks using eco mode made hardly any difference to normal mode.

Using eco mode on a holiday trip made a decent  difference.

Sorry I was only saying  just as a fact.

I will be driving it in the normal more to see  what will be the fuel consumption.

What about comfort mode, did you ever tried comfort mode please and if so what's the fuel consumption numbers on it please?

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, dadys said:

Sorry I was only saying  just as a fact.

I will be driving it in the normal more to see  what will be the fuel consumption.

What about comfort mode, did you ever tried comfort mode please and if so what's the fuel consumption numbers on it please?

Thank you.

No probs sorry I don’t have comfort mode.

My advice would be to just stick it In normal mode for everyday driving and forget about eco mode.

May not be what you really want to hear but like I said if you are not happy with the mpg I would look to change for something more frugal.

Edited by Nick_H

2 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

No probs sorry I don’t have comfort mode.

My advice would be to just stick it In normal mode for everyday driving and forget about eco mode.

May not be what you really want to hear but like I said if you are not happy with the mpg I would look to change for something more frugal.

Thank you.

I'm looking into electric cars...... maybe..or hybrid..any thoughts on it please?

10 minutes ago, dadys said:

Thank you.

I'm looking into electric cars...... maybe..or hybrid..any thoughts on it please?

Sorry no idea about electric cars. Is it just fuel consumption you are not happy with the Superb ? How long have you owned it ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick_H said:

Sorry no idea about electric cars. Is it just fuel consumption you are not happy with the Superb ? How long have you owned it ? 

I've owned it since September 2019.

There's a lot of things I'm not happy with it including  with the biggest one which is my internal walls pillars are getting soaked when is raining ,like today

7 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Please check this,any advice would be kindly appreciated, thank you

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/495926-skoda-superb-laurien-klement-2016-leaking-inside-through-sunroof/

Sorry Val sunroof is another thing I don’t have !

It’s a great forum I’m sure someone will be along to give advice soon !

7 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Sorry Val sunroof is another thing I don’t have !

It’s a great forum I’m sure someone will be along to give advice soon !

Thank you so much Nick,much appreciated

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dadys said:

Thank you so much Nick,much appreciated

Sorry I’ve not been much help Val ! Hope you get it sorted !

I wouldn't have thought that anybody with 280bhp would have any interest in eco mode driving.

I'm at the other end of the scale as I use eco mode virtually all the time and switch to it within 25 yards of setting off each day. In the 18 months I've had this car I've only briefly tried sport mode (on only 3 occasions) and only use normal mode when I forget to change to eco!

As you would expect I get very good mpg. For the last 3,000 miles with mixed driving I'm averaging 46.8mpg. On long journeys I get as much as 55mpg though low 50's is more normal. Rarely go over 65mph and often use ACC but couldn't tell you whether it would be more economical to not use it.

• Like 1

I was about to suggest comparing numbers to make this worthwhile, but see @MASKO has beaten me to that.

I can chip in then by saying I use ECO mode on every single trip since getting the car a few weeks ago.

Same thing as well, as soon as the MODE button lights up I switch to ECO.

I live in the countryside in a hilly area (the Pennines) so it is literally impossible to go anywhere without climbing/descending and vice versa, several hundred feet within moments of setting off, and on return, so I should be burning through petrol (and brakes sadly).

I can report via mySkoda the following (on my 1.5 DSG):

(Total) Distance: 1509

Average speed: 30mph (which does surprise me!)

MPG: 47.0

There are two decent motorway journeys in there (one of 170 miles, one of 260) and around town pottering for shopping etc (hence the 30mph average I guess).

I can't claim to know for sure, but logic would suggest that a car of this size/weight and the predominantly mountainous driving I do, ECO mode can surely only be giving me fuel savings in comparison to the other modes available.

Edited by Gax
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gax said:

Average speed: 30mph (which does surprise me!)

This is worked out from "engine fired by key/button" to "engine switched off by key/button": stop/start has no effect.

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

This is worked out from "engine fired by key/button" to "engine switched off by key/button": stop/start has no effect.

I'm talking strictly eco-mode here.

18 minutes ago, Gax said:

I'm talking strictly eco-mode here.

And I'm talking about how the distance, engine run time and average speed calculations are done. An understanding of those is pretty fundamental to an understanding of trip mpg and overall mpg.

6 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

And I'm talking about how the distance, engine run time and average speed calculations are done. An understanding of those is pretty fundamental to an understanding of trip mpg and overall mpg.

Okay, for what it is worth or not, I have stop/start activated at all times.

I tend to find that if you use Cruise Control a lot (As I do) then eco mode is almost pointless, as it will hardly ever disengage into coasting.

Probably has more effect on manual cars rather than DSG.