18" wheels on coilovers

Hi woundering if anyone is running 18" alloys on the octy with coilovers fitted, more specifically prosport coilovers? Been reading a few posts about the drop links and clearance to stop them hitting and been out to my car to see what size spacers I could get away with and my fronts are basically flush with arch already and rear I could get away with fitting maybe 5-10mm spacers. Probably looking to drop the car to witin 20-30mm of the tyre from the arch. Currently have lowering springs fitted but the car just doesn't sit right so wanna go lower.

i have 18" and coilovers  but not prosport i have fk ak streets with harder rear springs  but mine isnt very low just lowered a littlebit

here in sweden  we have alot of road bumps so if i go realy low it scrapes from underneath and the tyres rubbed in the rear so i had to get harder rear springs so now i can stick in  2 fingers between the fender and the tyres 

Edited by rsdanne

I've just fitted Prosport Coilovers to my VRS, I needed new droplinks (the standard ones don't fit) so I got some adjustable JOM ones.

I've removed the helper spring on the coilovers to give more clearance, as I didn't want the sharp edges of the adjuster collar so close to the tyre!

20160419_110206.jpg

Helper spring removed:

20160420_144513.jpg

20160426_061725.jpg

The wheels are 18x8.5 ET35 with 225/40/18 tyres, 5mm spacers on the front.

I've had to raise it up 10mm from how it is in the photo because my exhaust centre section was scraping on the ramp of my driveway. :(

The part number for the JOM droplinks I got is 740412.

Edited by Frozenmike

I've just fitted Prosport Coilovers to my VRS, I needed new droplinks (the standard ones don't fit) so I got some adjustable JOM ones.

I've removed the helper spring on the coilovers to give more clearance, as I didn't want the sharp edges of the adjuster collar so close to the tyre!

20160419_110206.jpg

Helper spring removed:

20160420_144513.jpg

20160426_061725.jpg

The wheels are 18x8.5 ET35 with 225/40/18 tyres, 5mm spacers on the front.

I've had to raise it up 10mm from how it is in the photo because my exhaust centre section was scraping on the ramp of my driveway. :(

The part number for the JOM droplinks I got is 740412.

Yes I have ordered some ta tecnix adjustable drop links.

When unsay helper Spring, can't see what u mean by that in the pic?

I hope my wheels clear as I thin even if I fitted 5mm spacers on the front they will stick out too much.

8.5 is what does it, i had to space my 8.5j out so became et30

I run kw thoD1F8910E-5641-4665-ABC1-F01E4E220950_zps

Your car sits spot on Lloyd that's exactly how I want mine to sit...

Cheers mate

8.5 front - et35 spaced 5mm

215/40/18 falkens

Arch mes rolled

9.5 rear - et35

225/40/18 falkens

-1 camber shims

To correct shims

I use falkens as the stretch a nice shape and have nice round shoulders :) ,

When unsay helper Spring, can't see what u mean by that in the pic?

In the first pic the main spring at the top, then a small light blue plastic collar, then the "helper" spring under that. It's just there to keep the main spring tight when there is no load on the strut, when the car is on the ground it compresses flat.

I might get some helpers that compress a bit thinner so i can keep the helper springs and still have the extra clearance. Saying that I haven't had any problems without them and it passed it's MOT with the coilovers as they are:)

I don't think you'll be able to go as low with Prosports as LLoyd has his on KW's, not at the back anyway. The Prosports are generic Audi TT / Seat Leon coilovers so they're a bit soft at the back with the extra boot that the Octavia has!

By the way LLoyd, thanks for the wheel fitment information. I searched the site before ordering my wheels and your posts were a gold mine of information. :thumbup::D

Am i rememberimg correctly that the prosports can be used with merc vito droplinks? Dunno if the wheel size would still cause a problem with rubbing though... just a thought if didnt want to have adjustable one on..

Am i rememberimg correctly that the prosports can be used with merc vito droplinks? Dunno if the wheel size would still cause a problem with rubbing though... just a thought if didnt want to have adjustable one on..

Yes merc ones or as I have done I bought ta tecnix adjustable ones instead

KW r32 coil overs, St 25 arb, 22 rarb

Tt subframe all round, rebuilt drive shafts and painted, powder coated trailing arms, poll bushes all round, st2 250 bhp..... twin pass fmic, silicone boost pipes, powder coated front slam

Finally got the car finished, the wheels are 18x8 ET35, there is a few mm clearance but probably couldn't drop the car much more so will see how the car sits once the shocks have settled. Also impressed with the adjustable coilovers, very good quality. Also changed the lower arms as well as the top mounts and had fun trying to get the rear bush bolt on the arm out, super tight, had to buy a Impact gun to get it out...

Edited by BusyBeingBorn

Sneak peek at the rear, happy with the ride quality so far, had lowering springs previously and the ride quality is very similar.

post-63901-0-64341200-1462894170_thumb.jpeg

Plan on getting the arches rolled in the next few days and fitting some 5-10mm spacers to the front to give me more clearance from the shock to wheel and then I will be able to go lower on the front.

Edited by BusyBeingBorn

• 2 weeks later...

I can't find any offset information on my 8x18" OZ Superleggera's. I could run in the same problems with clearance. Car needs lowering at the front since we fitted LCR top mounts.0be18be64421059b97452ad6e08127a5.jpg1b7d148ef76d7baad5eb5387e20621f0.jpg

Edited by dcstuurman