Customizing interior possibilities

Hey guys,

I've been thinking for a while now to modify the interior of my cars. Here I am thinking about dash and armrest in particular. I couldn't find any relevant information, so I decided to post my questions here.

First off:

Is the dash (with the underlying metallic structure) or the middle tunnel contributing in any way to the cabin rigidity or providing extra impact protection?

Second:

Is the dash material (foam material) available to purchase for other people other than the OEMs?

Third:

Is there a reason why some seats have integrated arm rest (eg. Transporter) and some not (most small cars, sedans, hatchbacks etc.). Eg. for Yeti, the centre armrest is really useless for a short person that needs to raise and shift the seat forward.

Let's start with these. Hopefully not end also :).

Just remember you might want to trade it in some time.......you'd possibly need to find an enthusiast to want it and I doubt if the trade would want to know.

In line with Ryeman's comments, think carefully before attacking the dash!

Removing the centre console would probably be OK as long as it was done carefully as it could be reinstated later.

You are aware that the Yeti armrest can slide forward and adjust upwards aren't you? It's not brilliant, but it's better than nothing

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Just remember you might want to trade it in some time.......you'd possibly need to find an enthusiast to want it and I doubt if the trade would want to know.

The idea is not to destroy the current dash but to build something custom. If a trade situation will be the case (although I doubt it), a refit of the original should not be an issue.

You are aware that the Yeti armrest can slide forward and adjust upwards aren't you? It's not brilliant, but it's better than nothing

I am aware of that. In the context of the armrest I can use it, but for a smaller person (eg. my wife) it's completely useless. In the topmost and forward position she doesn't even touch it.

Regarding the centre tunnel, I really dislike the fact that the room at the pedals is so small. Also, in the case of the yeti (at least for the passenger seat) you cannot slide it all the way forward as it stops hitting the tunnel first.

If you look at it, the glove box is not really useful. How many of you use it for the gloves, it's not lockable and not much can fit in it anyway. You can use the under-seat drawer for that ... If you remove the glovebox you get more than 10cm of leg room ... I consider this a much better option.

On mine even a child would be cramped if the seat was slid forward to the limit and yes it's only then that the glove-box removal idea would make any sense but I suspect that would be dangerous in a frontal impact.

None of that is my thing but each to their own.

Regarding the centre tunnel, I really dislike the fact that the room at the pedals is so small. Also, in the case of the yeti (at least for the passenger seat) you cannot slide it all the way forward as it stops hitting the tunnel first.

If you look at it, the glove box is not really useful. How many of you use it for the gloves, it's not lockable and not much can fit in it anyway. You can use the under-seat drawer for that ... If you remove the glovebox you get more than 10cm of leg room ... I consider this a much better option.

Why do you need to slide the passenger seat that far forward? Remember that moving it too close to the dash leaves little or no room for the passenger and would put them too close to the passenger airbag. You must have huge feet if you think that the room around the pedals is small!

Glove box is very useful. I keep pens, sweets, sunglasses and all sorts of various bits and pieces in there. Removing it would put the passengers knees in a dangerous position.

Have you considered that the dash is part of the safety systems of the car, and that meddling with it could be highly risky?

Edited by Llanigraham
  • Like 1

Why do you need to slide the passenger seat that far forward? Remember that moving it too close to the dash leaves little or no room for the passenger and would put them too close to the passenger airbag.

The discussion here is that is not just the space for the passenger in front. Consider the fact that the position of the forward seat reflects the space of the rear seat. If you have an adult, or a baby chair on the rear seat (eg. ) you are obliged to move the passenger seat forward.

would put them too close to the passenger airbag.

As far as I remember, according to the safety specs you have to be a minimum of 30cm away for the airbag for the passenger (and 15-20cm for the driver). This is why I opened the discussion regarding a custom interior (moving the seat forward implies shrinking the dash).

Glove box is very useful.  .... Removing it would put the passengers knees in a dangerous position.

Have you considered that the dash is part of the safety systems of the car, and that meddling with it could be highly risky?

This was one of the topic questions. Do you have any support to your arguments? Is there any spec that mentions in which way the dash contributes to the safety of the passengers? (I am talking here strictly about the dash, not the airbags driver,knee, passenger etc).

Edited by ionutai

The discussion here is that is not just the space for the passenger in front. Consider the fact that the position of the forward seat reflects the space of the rear seat. If you have an adult, or a baby chair on the rear seat (eg. ) you are obliged to move the passenger seat forward.

As far as I remember, according to the safety specs you have to be a minimum of 30cm away for the airbag for the passenger (and 15-20cm for the driver). This is why I opened the discussion regarding a custom interior (moving the seat forward implies shrinking the dash).

This was one of the topic questions. Do you have any support to your arguments? Is there any spec that mentions in which way the dash contributes to the safety of the passengers? (I am talking here strictly about the dash, not the airbags driver,knee, passenger etc).

I've had 4 rugby players in my car and haven't needed to move the front seat forward. I find there is more than adequate rear seat knee room.

The air bags are part of the dash, therefore you messing with it could be causing a danger to both yourself and your passengers.

I suggest that the car designers know what they are doing and design for safety and ergonomics.

I've had 4 rugby players in my car and haven't needed to move the front seat forward. I find there is more than adequate rear seat knee room.

The air bags are part of the dash, therefore you messing with it could be causing a danger to both yourself and your passengers.

I suggest that the car designers know what they are doing and design for safety and ergonomics.

Can you honestly state that you had 4 adults (with height above 1.8m tall) sitting comfortably for a long ride in a Yeti? I can totally agree that this is the case for the Superb, but I'm sorry I cannot agree for the Yeti.

I am sure that the engineers (not designers) thought about the safety and ergonomics but no implementation is perfect (as you can see all manufacturers change interior from one generation to the next).

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your input but I think you're missing the point of the topic. The idea is to discuss about the possibilities and not to decline all ideas. Consider it more of a brainstorming session where ideas are evaluated before being dismissed.

So, besides the airbag and the position of the airbag in the dash (which by the way is greatly relative to the height of the person sitting in the seat and the distance from the seat to the dash which is variable), do you have any supporting facts (documentation) on the way the dash contributes to the passenger safety?

Thanks

Edited by ionutai

So, besides the airbag and the position of the airbag in the dash (which by the way is greatly relative to the height of the person sitting in the seat and the distance from the seat to the dash which is variable), do you have any supporting facts (documentation) on the way the dash contributes to the passenger safety?

Thanks

To me that shows your lack of understanding of the safety aspects of all parts of the car.

I'm sorry to put it like that but that's how I read it.

Could you show us some pictures of your previous major interior customisation projects.

Could you show us some pictures of your previous major interior customisation projects.

I think you guys kind of misunderstood my position here. I am not in this business. I am just curious about this (so to answer your question, there is no previous build so there are no pictures). 

To me that shows your lack of understanding of the safety aspects of all parts of the car.

I'm sorry to put it like that but that's how I read it.

I am really really surprised, that, instead of providing useful information I only get bad comments.

I was the one posing the questions ... See ... i'm the OP. If I had the info do you think I would of asked the questions?

This whole pose of I'm smart, you're not and I know and you don't is really pointless. If you have info, please share it.

So, going back to my previous, if you want to contribute, please share your knowledge, if not, that's fine also ... but I'm really not after a flame war here. 

To clarify, I suspect the fact that the dash contributes to the safety of the passengers (again, not talking about airbags here). But I cannot find any info on how the layout impacts this. I can guess that there are some forces being distributed there ... but how, where, why ... I don't know ... so I'm asking.

Edited by ionutai

I think you guys kind of misunderstood my position here. I am not in this business. I am just curious about this (so to answer your question, there is no previous build so there are no pictures). 

I am really really surprised, that, instead of providing useful information I only get bad comments.

I was the one posing the questions ... See ... i'm the OP. If I had the info do you think I would of asked the questions?

This whole pose of I'm smart, you're not and I know and you don't is really pointless. If you have info, please share it.

So, going back to my previous, if you want to contribute, please share your knowledge, if not, that's fine also ... but I'm really not after a flame war here. 

To clarify, I suspect the fact that the dash contributes to the safety of the passengers (again, not talking about airbags here). But I cannot find any info on how the layout impacts this. I can guess that there are some forces being distributed there ... but how, where, why ... I don't know ... so I'm asking.

If you use the words 'customise' or 'modify' in the Yeti section then you are sure to anger the Yeti police, best to post in the General section or start a project thread :);)

• Like 2

If you use the words 'customise' or 'modify' in the Yeti section then you are sure to anger the Yeti police, best to post in the General section or start a project thread :);)

Kind of jumpy this police ... is it US police?  :devil:

Now, in terms of topic ... my reasoning was:

- it's not really general, because it's about a Yeti (ok, you could argue that it would apply to any car) but in my case it about the Yeti

- I own a Yeti so should be in the owners forum

- it's not really a project because I didn't decide to do anything, I have just thoughts and questions

But hey ... I'm new here ... so, if some mods can help a newbie out ... if it's off topic please put it in the right section.

Still looking for answers for my questions  :angel:

I think the point being made (if you haven't already managed to read between the lines) is that Yeti owners tend to be a fairly conservative bunch. Those interested enough in their cars to post regularly on this forum are not the types to even consider the sort of project you are suggesting so no surprise that your idea isn't even getting to first base.

As already suggested, whilst you own a Yeti, this is something that will receive more response on a genetic project page or even better a non Skoda specific customising forum where you are more likely to find people who are interested and experienced in what you are considering.

Bigger non-standard mud flaps is about as far off piste as you will be able to go on this page![emoji53]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I'd start by looking at other vw group seats with arm rests and see what will fit as a straight swap. The underlying structure of the dash I wouldn't mess with as itl have wiring and heater gubbins buried inside and it's more trouble than its worth to mess with. Interior trims should be easy to remove and trim or paint etc.

If you feel the need to make this many changes to the interior, have you considered you might have bought the wrong car?

This thought has never crossed my mind :p.

I see you also changed stuff on your Yeti ... so, you know that something is possible and you do it, without buying a new car (which is not something you do everyday). What if someone told you that adding a phone holder is a no-no in that location because the car was not built with it, end of story.

But if someone comes and says that it has not been tested for safety (sharp edges etc.) and weight ration distribution change in the dash is not calculated, magnetic field generation (from the phone) may be interfering with the airbag module and possible loss of electricity can cause it to fail or to misfire in your face? ... Isn't this a better answer, helping you decide? (it's all about risk appetite)

In my case, there is no "Yes it's possible" or "No it's not possible" because apparently nobody thought about this. What I do get a lot of though "Blasphemy, burn the witch ... " and related. I guess what Falmouthboy said is pretty much the reason why.

I was really hoping for someone to come forth and provide facts (as mentioned before) on why is it "No" or "Maybe" or "Yes". A reply in the lines of "Start by looking at workshop manual number ... " would of been nice.

Thanks Parkesie for your reply. It's something i considered also. I don't intend to reinvent the wheel. I will try to find more info.

Edited by ionutai

I'm not criticising you for wanting to modify - as you say I have done the same. I love to personalise my cars - but going so far as to fundamentally change the structure of it - i.e. removing the dashboard, finding the legroom inappropriate, these are the sorts of things that I would have checked before buying a car because that sort of modification is somewhat extreme, and as has rightfully been pointed out, has potential safety implications.

Surely better to find a car that has the correct configuration for your needs, and then personalise it to your taste?

• Like 2

Are you going to make the mods permanent?.

If so, do you expect to keep it for a VERY long time (?) because the reality is it likely won't suit anyone else.

It sounded like you intend to replace the whole dash together with the crash padding, what are you doing with the 2 air-bags?
I do hope you will post some pictures of the transformation and as you go along with any problems you find and the benefits of the finished result.

Anything is possible with a big enough budget, just ask BossFox, nobody dreamt of seeing a 700bhp Yeti until he made one!!!

Not everyone liked my Yeti projects, but the Greenline was super enjoyable and encouraged a lot of VAG 1.6tdi owners to do the same. Do it because YOU want to and as I said, with the right budget you can do pretty much anything :)

Not everyone liked my Yeti projects,

I loved it. As it was researched and only the best components and advise went into it.

Have spent hours reading and digesting your threads thanks.

• Like 2

But hey ... I'm new here ... so, if some mods can help a newbie out ... if it's off topic please put it in the right section.

It is actually in the right forum BUT if you'd like it moving to General Car Chat where you may well garner a wider modding audience then feel free to ask. :thumbup: