Rattles- How to fix collection

I've seen many reports of Mk3 users complaining about rattles in the cabin.

There are many potential places to get them rattles from, and every car is that tiny bit different, but this are my findings for a right hand drive SE.

Passenger side:

1. Plastic cover, pillar of the glove-box. - This was the main culprit at higher speeds, made me look at the pillars, those where the culprit in my case.

Solution: I taped some sound absorbing mat on it, stopped the rattles (11£ for 2 sq. meters)

2. Loose screws around the dash. - I've had screws quite loose around the glove-box area and at certain speeds some parts vibrated.

Solution: Most could be tightened more than half a rotation in. There are several of them torx screws, use light touch, it's plastic they hold in place (free if you have time + torx screwdriver)

3. Overhead Sunglasses Holder. - Rattles at under 20 mph with glasses inside, as the padding is only on the bottom, the front and rear sides are pure plastic.

Solution: I've added some double sided tape on the edges and applied some soft touch material with holes in it (3£, as in 1 £ for a lot of double sided tape and 2£ for the soft touch material)

4.Driver's seat reach and length levers (Glosrich found this out, credits to him) - One of them rattles against the seat (height adj.) the other if you are on the short side, rattles against the center console.

Ghetto Solution: Piece of adhesive rubber strip, one agains the center console place where the contact was made with the lever. As i don't have issues with my height adjuster, no solution for that.

Driver's Side.

1. Fuse Box Cover - this is basically the same as the other side near the glove-box.

Solution: Add some absorbing mat on it, and stick it back in.

The absorbing mat i am referring to is something like Silent Coat Tiles.

I will try to keep this updated as you fellow members might come with more problems, and even better solutions.

Later this evening, a full silicone spray around the plastics will be applied, will report my findings later on today, as i have the feeling that it will make a huge difference for a while, until the silicon dries.

Also i am contemplating changing my Mk3 Fabia for a 118i or 120i 2016 Bmw, but that plan is under consideration by someone who doesn't really agree, or understands 50/50 weight distribution, rear wheel drive or rattles or anything these days for that matter.

Regards, and keep it coming with anti-rattle posts. Keep that OCD occupied!

• Like 2

Good guide, thanks for the credit.

The BMWs are quite pricey, but have a look on broadspeed for an idea of discounts. Some of the smaller petrols are 3 cylinder turbos shared with the Mini, not bad but a bit thrummy sounding. Also with a rear drive, if we get snow budget for winter tyres.

I've put sticky back black felt around the edge of my glove box tonight and it seems to have cured it for now at least.

I often like to drive without radio,music etc so not a solution for me I'm afraid.

And when I have wussed out,given in and switched up the sound I've still been able to hear the rattle.

I shouldn't really have to be sticking felt round the glove box of a brand new car as if it was a 1978 Skoda Estelle.

It's irrelevant whether it's a Rolls-Royce or a Skoda,it's unacceptable in this day and age of high technology to put up with shoddy workmanship on cars.

WHAT CAR made the All New Fabia 'What Car of the year 2015' before any customers had them.

Then WHAT CAR made it WHAT CAR SMALL CAR OF THE YEAR 2016 at the start or 2016.

** Not all of them, they picked out particular engine versions oddly.**

'Simply Clever'.

WHAT CAR should test some now and tell us in 2016 which are  Their Award Winners  as

WHAT CAR USED CAR OF THE YEAR 2017.

Maybe send  a tester who is not Tommy,  ie Not Deaf Dumb & Blind.

Or not interested in Trips abroad to wonderful hotels and roads road testing Volkswagen Group Vehicles.

MAYBE 'WHAT CAR' CAN MENTION HOW THE CARS ARE DOING NOW, 

THE THINGS THAT TOOK SKODA LONG ENOUGH TO SORT OUT,  MIRROR LINK / COMPATIBILITY,

SNAGGING FAULTS, BUILD QUALITY ISSUES, RATTLES ETC.

PS

WHAT CAR predicted Good Residuals,  So time for them to tell us if they are the new 'Derren Brown'.

Are they still good value new against the competition and are they a good buy used, and 

how is it going value wise as people look to get a New Car next year and trade in the What Car Car of the year 2015.

Are they worth as little as a SEAT.?

Edited by GoneOffSKi