280 Eco Mode

• 2 weeks later...

So....... End of test... Quick recap...

Average week. 3 Miles into work. Stop start traffic and hills plus other trips. Nothing unusual.

Eco mode active with stop start and me as careful with the throttle as I can be utilizing Coasting as much as possible.

After a week 23MPG dead.

Just finished the second test week. Again no unusual trips.

Normal driving mode with me driving just as I do normally !! using both auto and paddles.

No start stop activated ....

Anyone care to guess the result ?

Edited by Nick_H

Only let's up the stakes - 28.8 MPG

HAHA !! Stop it !!

OK then I'm already bored of this game ....

23.6 !

So make of that as you will ....

• Like 1

25.9 mpg ;)

I found a display on mine that showed in 1630 miles of driving I have an average of 29.3 mpg, that includes a lot of stop/start London driving to!

I hardly ever have stop/start turned on, never used Eco mode, only used DSG Sport mode a few times, use ACC on Motorways and fast A-Roads and paddles as and when required, so well pleased.

Looking forward to some fast road action next month when I go to Germany :)

Nb: You beat me to the post Nick_H :D

Edited by Prykey
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

For me home to work driving purely city driving with stop and go traffic

Eco mode:  14.3L/100km

Normal or Comfy mode: 15.3L/100km

Sport: 15.6 to 18.9L/100km

PS: When in sport mode, your foot gets heavy like someone put grocery bag on it. Dont know why  :D

Cannot get anywhere near that, had a trip up to Coventry and back today from Kent, some heavy traffic around the M25 but the M40/M46 was clear both ways and I got 32.2mpg, cruise set to 85mph and had some fun with the Audis when I could.

Also car is now averaging a steady 29mpg overall after 8000miles mainly normal mode but some sport mode when the conditions allowed.

Did use Eco when I first got the car but the difference was so negligable it was not worth the trade off with performance.

Edited by philsmith

Yeah Phil i couldn't drive like that all day.... Very, very gentle on the throttle. Max speed 50 and babying it up to that speed. Coasting as much as possible.

Fun though in a way just to see how much I can get every so often !

Ok today I was trying very hard.....

Start stop enabled and ( urgh ) Eco mode....

Mpg was still getting better when I parked up !

I'm proud of you, my son.

Keep up the good work...........

I managed a 24 mile journey in 34 minutes last week, (google maps thinks 32 mins) keeping to the 40 / 50 mph limits (permanent & road works...) & the Golf managed 39 mpg. 

Probably 1st & last time though!

DC

• Like 1

Is this thread still going? :D

Yeah Phil i couldn't drive like that all day.... Very, very gentle on the throttle. Max speed 50 and babying it up to that speed. Coasting as much as possible.

Fun though in a way just to see how much I can get every so often !

Very good, grasshopper! Ooh, ooh... Can I join in for a minute?

If it helps you any, my 220 took us 110 miles to the seaside and back for an impromptu family day out today. Mostly A roads and motorway but with huge jams on the M6. We were literally start-stop for half an hour, up to 40 then back to start-stop. I caned it in between to alleviate the boredom of the jams, and although I (mostly) stuck to the limits there was no hanging around (full bore accelerations, no eco mode). When we finally crawled into the resort - fully loaded with the kids, double pram and luggage - we spent another 20 minutes fighting through the coastal road summer holiday traffic. By the time we parked up we'd got.... 

*drum roll*

45mpg!  :sun:  :clap:

There. Doesn't that make you feel better?  :devil:  The pic below was on the way home, after a good blast past the MLMs on the motorway (we were back to 45.5 soon thereafter). My wife snapped a pic and when I told her we shouldn't care so much about MPG, she laughed and said well it gets more empeegees than our previous two TDIs so I thought you'd want a photo. Oh the irony.

post-63706-0-27892300-1471301090_thumb.jpg

As you were. :p

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 1

Mmmm.... Well.... I'm ok.... After all their has to be some consolation for having the second best engine ..... ;-)

:-D

Is this thread still going? :D

Very good, grasshopper! Ooh, ooh... Can I join in for a minute?

If it helps you any, my 220 took us 110 miles to the seaside and back for an impromptu family day out today. Mostly A roads and motorway but with huge jams on the M6. We were literally start-stop for half an hour, up to 40 then back to start-stop. I caned it in between to alleviate the boredom of the jams, and although I (mostly) stuck to the limits there was no hanging around (full bore accelerations, no eco mode). When we finally crawled into the resort - fully loaded with the kids, double pram and luggage - we spent another 20 minutes fighting through the coastal road summer holiday traffic. By the time we parked up we'd got.... 

*drum roll*

45mpg!  :sun:  :clap:

There. Doesn't that make you feel better?  :devil:  The pic below was on the way home, after a good blast past the MLMs on the motorway (we were back to 45.5 soon thereafter). My wife snapped a pic and when I told her we shouldn't care so much about MPG, she laughed and said well it gets more empeegees than our previous two TDIs so I thought you'd want a photo. Oh the irony.

attachicon.gif20160815_195437.jpg

As you were. :p

• Like 1

Just got 42.5mpg average in a 280.

That was for a 48 mile journey, most of which (40 miles) was dual carrigeway/motorway.

ACC set at 62mph, as for this stretch of road is quite busy and there is not much point trying to go faster.

• Like 1

Mmmm.... Well.... I'm ok.... After all their has to be some consolation for having the second best engine ..... ;-)

:-D

Ooh get her... Touche, however. ;)

That was for a 48 mile journey, most of which (40 miles) was dual carrigeway/motorway.

ACC set at 62mph, as for this stretch of road is quite busy and there is not much point trying to go faster.

Nicely done. Now it's time to do the motoring equivalent of lines. Five laps of a B road in second gear to atone for this economic nonsense. :D

• Like 1

Lol ! Wish I could have got to the big Skoda meet this year ... Have to make a proper effort next time. Be great to get a good lineup of TSI motors ...

Lol ! Wish I could have got to the big Skoda meet this year ... Have to make a proper effort next time. Be great to get a good lineup of TSI motors ...

You and me both mate. My wife decided to birth my second daughter the week of the meet. Some people just have no regard for others.  :devil:  Next year!...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched a guy on YouTube called Jay Kay revving the arse off his Golf R motor at delivery because his stealer said it was fully run in.

Handle your new 280s with care peeps. Break them in with care.

• Like 1

Pre-racechip ultimate

Post-racechip ultimate

Same route and speed.

44.5mpg

I'll post up the real world (@ pump) figures at the weekend and see if there is much difference.

FYI, pre-chip real world mpg for a weeks driving (eco and sport) for me was 35.7mpg

• Like 1

Pre-racechip ultimate

Post-racechip ultimate

Same route and speed.

44.5mpg

I'll post up the real world (@ pump) figures at the weekend and see if there is much difference.

FYI, pre-chip real world mpg for a weeks driving (eco and sport) for me was 35.7mpg

I am also thinking to buy the race chip ultimate. how does the performance differ? 

I am getting better at using the eco mode, coasting is great in the city from light to light however i am no where near the fuel savings as you guys have. I think i need to take some highway cruise to make it happen.  

i got 32MPG on highway, 18MPG long term average and my daily is 15MPG. i am in heavy city traffic morning and night. 

Don't know how you guys are getting such good consumption figures, I had a run down to Crawley yesterday afternoon, the M23 was busy so I went down the A22 and returned through Horley and the back lanes.

Kept it in sport mode all the way there and back and drove as quickley as limits allowed, not much traffic, just a bit at some junctions, but kept moving all the time  and got barely over 20mpg!

• Like 1

Don't know how you guys are getting such good consumption figures, I had a run down to Crawley yesterday afternoon, the M23 was busy so I went down the A22 and returned through Horley and the back lanes.

Kept it in sport mode all the way there and back and drove as quickley as limits allowed, not much traffic, just a bit at some junctions, but kept moving all the time  and got barely over 20mpg!

That's because you're driving it properly Phil !

Haha, yes basically what Nick said... It's all about anticipation Phil and using enough gas to keep the car balanced but not using it unnecessarily. For example, looking right down the road and seeing lights, and anticipating they may turn red or if they are already red that they might turn green soon. Letting off the throttle on approach and rolling up allows you to keep the weight of the car moving until everyone starts rolling away (shifting 1.5 tonnes from a stand still is where most fuel goes). There's a lot more to it but once you've got the hang of it it's possible to make very swift progress and use surprisingly little fuel. If you haven't already, you might find your local advanced driving group of interest. Some are quite staid and full of dogmatic old timers, but many (most?) are very modern and progressive and all about fun driving. You'll learn an absolute load and will be amazed how much better a driver you become. You'll also save a lot of fuel haha... :thumbup:

• Like 2