Wet days - Take the road tyres or stick with the RS-Rs?

DanHarper

As topic.

Looks like rain in the afternoon for my first track day tomorrow, RS-Rs already on the car but do I put my normal wheels in the car and swap when it starts to rain heavily? (looks like 1pm onwards solid rain on the forecast).

It depends on how much it rains and how much of that rain turns into standing water on the track.

When i did oulton park a while ago, it was pretty bad weather, and I had RSR's on the rear which gave me pretty much 0 grip (but it was great fun), I had road tyres on the front though.

• Like 2

May be quite a good opportunity to explore the cars limits on the roadies too :)

Think I'll throw them in, can't hurt!

you can get at least two full sets of wheels in the back of a Fabia  ;)

I only ever ran the RS-R's, rain, sun, cold or hot they are quite capable but you will notice reduced grip in the wet, you should also try and keep off the racing by a cars width in the wet as the track will be very slippery where the rubber has been laid down in the dry.

Take the road tyres and try both, it can't hurt, as you say Dan, push on in a controlled manor and you will improve your car control and have a great time pushing the limits, lift off oversteer will be your issue so balanced braking all the way to the apex and then power on when the front is loaded up will see you through the corner.

Have a great day.

I used RSRs on a "damp" Oulton park and they still outperformed any road tyre in that situation.  Full on standing water will probably be a different matter.

If there is heat in them, there fine in the wet, but as you know, getting heat into a cold tyre on a wet track is not an easy task, and even if you do get heat in it, keeping it there is another game altogether.

I only ever ran the RS-R's, rain, sun, cold or hot they are quite capable but you will notice reduced grip in the wet, you should also try and keep off the racing by a cars width in the wet as the track will be very slippery where the rubber has been laid down in the dry.

Take the road tyres and try both, it can't hurt, as you say Dan, push on in a controlled manor and you will improve your car control and have a great time pushing the limits, lift off oversteer will be your issue so balanced braking all the way to the apex and then power on when the front is loaded up will see you through the corner.

Have a great day.

Well it was wet, rained constantly from around 11am so at lunch I switched to road tyres. Glad I took them, a bit less slidey (though it was fun sliding it around 'the ump', the road tyres understeered a bit less on certain soggy bends) and good to see where the limits are on those tyres. Spun twice but completely my fault as I was playing with lifting off the brakes slightly earlier, if I did what James said I didn't spin :p

My mobius decided that it wasn't going to record anything today, despite the little lights indicating it was doing. Very annoyed at it and myself for not taking a card reader and checking it :(

DSC_6835.JPG

Edited by DanHarper
  • Like 2