Any reason to not buy a diesel, facelift Scout?

As the title really? Any known problems?

Do people rate them? Does the 4x4 system make them slow? Better manual or auto?

Basically, for ages I really wanted a diesel VRS estate, however I have swung right around to a Scout (mainly due to road conditions, where I am riding (ocassionally on rough/forest roads) and the less 'look-at-me' factor).

I currently have a Mk1 PD130 hatch, wanting to upgrade and wondering if there is any reasons not to get a Scout.

I can't help on the newer engines but in my opinion the older PD130 was a lovely engine and if you are anything like me, you may miss it a little. I ended up remapping my PD140 to get some more beans and fun out of it as I missed it so much.

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense on the face of it, unless perhaps my Mk1 hatch was a lighter car than my Mk2 estate.

Edited by adamal

Haha nope. None. Sound cars. I have a VRS DSG estate. If you can get a DSG box then do it. They're phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After nearly six years of ownership I am more than happy with mine. The dealerships are a different matter!

Probably the best car I've ever owned. Fit cold weather tyres in the winter and it is almost unstoppable.

I still get a buzz when approaching it, it's just got such a purposeful look about it. You hardly see another one.

Average about low 40's in mixed driving. I have the PD lump, and it still makes my wife giggle when I put the foot down. (she only allows me to do that in the car!)

Done a 4000 miles Road trip around Spain and France;motorway and some really rural roads and the Scout handled it all with aplomb.

The down sides are the extra servicing of the haldex oil (£60-100 every 3 years 37k miles), the tyre size is not that common. The oem Proteus alloys delaminate. Coil springs are a bit of a weakness, they are with me, I've had 2 break at a fairly low mileage.

If going for a diesel ensure your driving style suits; gen up on DPF's. There is a petrol version, which are rare but nippy.

Great cars. Softer suspension over vRS gives smoother ride on rough roads but they do role a bit more in the corners. Not short of grip though! Early petrol ones had oil consumption and chain tensioner issues (see sticky at top of this section). Mine's booked in for a consumption test in a couple of weeks as it's a bit thirsty on oil. Higher spec ones seem quite rare so you may have to look hard and be patient if you want xenons, heated seats, maxidot, curtain airbags etc. As noted above, alloys delaminate badly. Budget on a refurb and if you're being told they've already been done check whether the whole wheel was refurbed as opposed to just the face being painted.

Edited by Sarge

Meant to say too that early facelift Scouts still had the PD engine. The CR engine for them came in c2011.

The only problems you may encounter are driving style and mileage dependent.

As all Scouts had a DPF filter that is the main problem if you're only doing short trips.

They are generally quicker off the line than a normal two wheel drive model due to the extra traction but heavier on fuel due to extra weight and transmission losses with the haldex system.

The DSG is a great gearbox but down to personal preference.

A friend has a new Scout, which looks great, his sole complaint is that 1st gear is notchy in comparison to his previous MkII Scout. The supplying dealer checked and informed him that it's normal with haldex. Only time will tell if it will loosen up and become smoother.

They are marvellous cars. We're on our second - the first was a pre-FL diesel which had plenty of go and still did a decent MPG (~45-50mpg on a run) compared with other cars of a similar age. Our current FL Scout is the 1.8TSI and it is surprisingly nippy for what it is. On a good run we will get around 38-40mpg, which has been even better since fitting EfficientGrip tyres. Sure they're not that pretty (though actually I rather like the utilitarian look of them), and arguably the pre-FL looks better than the FL, but they certainly meet all our needs (two young kids plus dog plus towing a caravan and all the associated junk that goes along with that).

Fin69 outlined the majority of the issues, particularly the tyres which are a touch more expensive because they're an odd size, but you can still get them everywhere. We've not had the problem with the coil springs (yet!), but have had the delamination particularly on our second Scout, which also suffers from high oil consumption, especially over the last 10-15k miles.

We just sold our 2008 Scout which we had from new, it is still in my signature.

Replaced with a brand new 2016 Scout. The old one was a better car.

Sure the new one is quieter, has more toys but the older one was better screwed together and easier / nicer to drive.

One thing to be aware of on the manual Scout is the short first gear (for towing and off-roading). The 4x4 has a different gearbox to the two-wheel drive. I liked it a lot, some people just couldn't get used to it. It promotes slow and steady off the line rather than all out speed so make sure you test drive one first.

Also find one that has been on fixed service intervals, fresher oil more often is the key to long engine, DPF and turbo life.

As you are looking for facelift then you'll be OK anyway, but even the PD140 in the pre-FL was very kind to it's DPF. The 8V SOHC engine seemed to mate with the DPF better than the PD140 / PD170 16V DOHC. We never saw the DPF light once and it was only ever used on the school run through the week.

Edited by silver1011

Silly point really but could hurt, If working on the car make sure you prepare yourself for how heavy the metal engine undertray is, it took me by surprise being used to plastic undertrays on a daily basis!!

Silly point really but could hurt, If working on the car make sure you prepare yourself for how heavy the metal engine undertray is, it took me by surprise being used to plastic undertrays on a daily basis!!

Handy though, I ran over the remains of a lorry tyre sitting in the middle of the road. Big thump but no damage.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Handy though, I ran over the remains of a lorry tyre sitting in the middle of the road. Big thump but no damage.

Oh definitely a good thing, I live up a bumpy dirt track that changes contour with the rain, just a watch out its heavy!

Oh definitely a good thing, I live up a bumpy dirt track that changes contour with the rain, just a watch out its heavy!

I use an upturned bucket to avoid flattening my head when removing the undertray.

• Like 1

"Any reason to not buy a diesel, facelift Scout?"

Yep, get a 4x4 and save yourself the cost of the Tupperware. Different looks - does same job.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any issues with the mk2 facelift engines (CR?)?

Would a 100k engine be fine if it has been looked after? Any weaknesses for that mileage/things to look out for?

Are there any issues with the mk2 facelift engines (CR?)?

Would a 100k engine be fine if it has been looked after? Any weaknesses for that mileage/things to look out for?

The amount of ash (not soot) in the dpf would be worth knowing.

A key thing to check is whether or not the Haldex oil has been changed. On the facelift I think it's due every 40k.

Interesting post as getting mine on Friday, a 2016 Scout DSG 184ps in Race Blue!

My rationale was that I need 4x4 due to my work in the emergency services, considered a VRS 4x4 but put off by the harder ride, higher insurance and 4 months delivery time so this seemed like a very good compromise as it's the same engine/box as the VRS!

Excited about getting mine now.

I have a 2007 2.0PD 4x4 (non-scout) in a high spec and have to say it has been an absolutely superb car in the time we’ve had it (it was an ex-dealer car we picked up with low mileage a few months old).  As others have mentioned, with the right tyres it’s been pretty much unstoppable, is very stable in all weathers and at all speeds and is very comfy and quite a capable in the corners as well.

The only thing from my point of view I would be wary of is the DPF that others have mentioned.  I’d try and check which pressure sensor the car is fitted with as the US made ones are prone to failure.  We had a DPF issue a few years ago which could have been the sensor but we bit the bullet and took it to Shark Performance for a resolution – with no regrets since as they have simply enhanced an already great car!

The only thing from my point of view I would be wary of is the DPF that others have mentioned.  I’d try and check which pressure sensor the car is fitted with as the US made ones are prone to failure.  We had a DPF issue a few years ago which could have been the sensor but we bit the bullet and took it to Shark Performance for a resolution – with no regrets since as they have simply enhanced an already great car!

What did that entail? I know very little about the DPF (and the problems that can be caused by them), so guessing I will need to do research on them.