Paintwork Protection

Hi, I picked up my new Skoda Fabia SEL last week and really delighted with it. I resisted the sales pitch to purchase Autoglym Lifeshine treatment and wondered if there is anything I could do to protect the new paintwork beyond washing the car regularly? I use Autoglym shampoo and conditioner and generally wash my car ever two to three weeks. I see Autoglym do an Aquawax product that looks as though it should be quite easy to apply, but not sure whether it's worth it or whether I should use it on new paint finish?

I did do the lifeshine but now wish I hadn't as I could have done it myself a lot cheaper.

I use mostly Autoglym products and find them excellent. The Aquawax is good if you're in a hurry

I have used a great wax by Meguiars called '16 Paste Wax' for a more serious protection,and it's very easy to use and apply.

I'm determined to keep my Fabia as clean and tidy as I can until I possibly trade it in at the end of the PCP.

I have been using Autoglym products for years, using Shampoo and Conditioner. Fast Glass and Rapid Detailer mainly. I have found that if you use products like these everytime you clean the car if will prove fairly easy to keep clean throught the year. I use Collinate 476 and 845 two or three times a year as wax protection.

I also never park under trees unless I really have to, so the car doesnt get covered in sticky residue!

Agree with the above.

A good clean and decontamination now followed by a durable wax like Collinite 476s would work wonders. Then your wash every 2-3 weeks would be fine. If you did go for the aqua wax it would prolong the main waxes life as it would add a buffer from the elements each time you used it.

Failing that, Gtechniq do some very good products which will last a lot longer than a wax but are also a lot more expensive, especially if you have them applied professionally. Though in saying that the coating comes with a 5 year guarantee!

• Like 1

Meguairs NXT is also a good sealant, will protect for many months against bird poo etc.

Easy to apply, buffs off easy also.

I do my cars once a year with it, them top up after a wash with a quick wax like Autoglym aquawax or Williams showroom shine if its on a deal at idealworld.

Have a browse around here for a few ideas www.detailingworld.co.uk

This is also so a good site with plenty of good info and description about the products & options http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk

Also an easy Gtechniq product you can apply yourself and use as a diluted drying aid is http://www.gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/c2-liquid-crystal

And a similar cheaper product http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-sprays/sonax-xtreme-brilliant-shine-detailer-750ml/prod_1178.html

Both the above are better than Aquawax IMHO.

Regards Bob

Edited by BikerBob

• 2 weeks later...

For all year protection I use Autoglym Super Resin Polish (2 coats) followed by a single coat of Autoglym High Gloss Protection. You get that wet look finish that doesn't need doing again for about a year. Car stays really clean. I wash the car by hand and use the Autoglym shampoo. It all seems to protect really well from swirl marks as my 61/2 year old estate looks brand new without a swirl mark insight. 

I have to park in the street outside my house with a lot of trees roundabout and, since it's a conservation are the trees will not be moving soon. Any suggestion for a good polish to protect against the tree sap that leaves a sticky residue on the car. I think the worst of it is over for this year. Joe

• 5 weeks later...

I went for the LifeShine after haggling to a price I thought was ok (sub £200). You are paying for the labour really and do get a very nice pack of Autoglym products that must be worth £60 minimum.  You also get the internal fabrics protected with a stain guarantee that offers free stain removal or seat re-cover if not possible, that has to be worth it I reckon. Time will tell if the exterior treatment lasts though.

You can clean your car and apply a decent wax and sealant £20, you can buy interior fabric treatments from around the £15 which do the same thing, A bag of goodies is about £50 so for £85 ish you can have IMO good enough protection ongoing and after having read about application of lifeshine on multiple forums I personally wouldn't spend the money but to each their own.

Sub £200 is a good price paid though.