12 point spline bits

Updated my tool box a few years ago cos more and more of the things I wanted to do on my car needed Torx bits. Now I find my Octy has 12 point spline bolts in a few places. 

Can anyone who's fitted Superskoda bonnet lifters tell me what size of 12 point spline I need to remove the bolts on the bonnet hinge? 

I'm going to need a bigger tool box if they keep coming up with these new fangled things. 

Is it like those things on the Nissan GTR that lift the end of the bonnet up to protect pedestrians if you run them over?

Edited by SuperbTWM

To do my bonnet lifters I only needed torx bits but most vag cars do have some spline headed bolts on them. A set on be purchased from Halfords or other tool shops

To do my bonnet lifters I only needed torx bits but most vag cars do have some spline headed bolts on them. A set on be purchased from Halfords or other tool shops

This is very confusing. I've just fitted the Superskoda bonnet lifters to my Octavia 3. The bolts at the back of the bonnet at the top of the hinge are definitely not Torx but are 12 spine 10mm type like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M10-SPLINE-BIT-12-Point-Socket-10mm-Hex-Drive-30mm-long-/110640243135

An excellent Wiki guide to screw drive types is at  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

• Like 1

My mistake the rear bolts are in fact socket spline heads... my memory is obviously not as good as it used to be and I've been working on too many different cars recently! Sorry for the bad advice.

Well worth buying a set if you have a vag car and like to work on it yourself

They are also known as "triple square" 

I think that's what they like to call them in the U.S. Might be wrong though.

Halfords sell a good quality set with the lifetime warranty as well

Triple square are the same as XZN, I think, which are subtly different from spline.  Spline is effectively four equilateral triangles stamped at 30° angles to one another, creating 12, 60°-angled points for the tool to engage in. Triple-square/XZN is three squares stamped at 30° angles creating 12 90°-angled points for the tool to engage in.

Shown graphically in the Wiki link that bertj posted above in #6.

I think either tool will fit in a triple square/XZN but possibly an XZN/triple square tool might not fit a spline screw head?. I also think VW group use triple square/ZXN not true spline screws.  Someone please confirm.

There are quite a few variations of "spline" depending on the use. The one I have always used on VAG machines is the triple square/ XZN and AFAIK that is what they are designed to accept.

If you look at the larger bolts like on the suspension they are easier to see as being 90°.

You may get away with fitting something else that works on 10mm but you are likely to strip out anything larger.

I just presumed they were all the same, didn't realise they are possibly two standards as I've heard them called all sorts. Never had any problems with my Bergen or Halfords set not fitting into any fixings as yet.