1.2 TSI reliability?

Hi All,

I am wondering how reliable the engine in the Rapid is, any issues with timing chain etc. and turbo failures?

I am considering a greentech se 86/105, what is the mpg like?

Thanks.

Reliability of the 1.2TSI has been good. A few isolated reports of timing chains stretching that have been replaced under warranty, but nothing that appears to be endemic.

There are several threads on mpg in the Rapid section, well worth reading before you buy so you understand the potential disparity between manufacturer stated and reality.

The smaller engine + stop start does make a positive difference though.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

I have a 2013 1.2tsi Elegance greentech... I get around 42mpg on average round town (2-10mile journeys so the car doesn't really warm up!!!) and I get 49+mpg on a run (100 miles). The stop/start is annoying but does give you cheaper road fund licence and can be switched off. I like the 105 BHP it produces plenty of power when you need it but I would like a little more... considering a remap to get circa 140bhp. It feels a little less powerful than our previous 1.2tsi elegance (non-greentech).

Only had mine for a year but no problems with the 1.2 TSI. Only 86 PS but an abundance of torque that makes it a real pleasure to drive. So much better than the normally aspirated 1.4 lump in the Astra I had prior to the Rapid.

All sounds good. I am going to buy the 63 plate 1.2 tsi 86 I came across, drove really well nice and smooth in my opinion.

Is this one likely to have a timing chain or belt on it? Looking at the engine I figured a belt. Whats the life cycle on these like?

It will be a chain. It changed to a belt with the introduction of the 90/110 PS engines - I think about this time last year. Get the oil changed at the recommended intervals and you should be fine.

Press the left button on the fascia (inbetween speedo and rev counter) and scroll through the readings. It should tell you the time until next service in remaining days and miles. Depends if the engine was set to Variable or Fixed service regime

Brilliant - thanks for the help.

It was last serviced at 35k and had the oil change (main dealer so on 3rd service here) and is due MOT in September.

Seems it is due break fluid change in September as well.

Anything I should check over on the car? It has full history with extensive receipts/paperwork etc. and all looked fine.

Also, should I continue with main dealer or find a local garage to have it serviced moving forward?

Where is the best place to get approved parts?

Thanks.

I have a 105 bhp TSI and its like a go cart! It's fun to drive, very responsive and good MPG, I average about 45 to the gallon, costs £50 to fill up and I get about 400 + miles to a tank. I wouldn't go less the 105 bhp though and if I was considering keeping it for a long time I'd defenatly go for a re map.

• Like 1

OK I will probably use my local mechanic who I've used for my car before for future services then.

I've a slight query regarding reverse gear / gear 1.

I noticed sometimes reverse can not quite click in that well, not often and certainly not an 'issue' as I can take it out and put it back in and it is fine, could just be me... unsure... and seems to be going from reverse to gear 1/ or vice versa can be a bit 'clunky' I guess to best describe it.

Has anyone else ever had this type of issue, it has a few months warranty left - is it worth me getting it looked at?

Thanks.

The reverse gear is difficult to engage/disengage when the car is not stationary. Also, it is sometimes difficult to switch to reverse when unpark the car (e.g. if it was left overnight). I usually release the clutch a little bit and then the gear engages normally.

Reverse seems to have been a one off issue, not been a problem since.

I'm wondering which fuel this car likes best? I just did 375 miles on 32L which is about 52-3mpg mixed driving, mainly a14, some aircon so was happy enough with that overall. (was on Sainsbury Ultimate 97)

However, just filled up with esso 95 and look set to get about 45-8mpg, more a14 driving/ some around town/ some aircon (same speeds 56-60mph generally) which is quite a bit different.

What is generally the best to use for price/mpg ratio?

Also does this mpg look about right?

Also, what is the best tyre pressure for the car?

Thanks.

Shell V-power Nitro+ gives me 6% more Mpg but costs 9-13% more so I normally use Shell 95 as its more cost effective. TP's are inside the fuel filler, though mine were 6psi low the last time I checked without problems with handling ride or tyre wear. Low TP's are really bad for mpg on these little turbos though.

Edited by camelspyyder

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback on this. I'm currently using Tesco Momentum and getting 54-55mpg average on my trips on the a14/ around town combined.

I've a few queries about the car however just to check they are normal.

When she cold starts she will rev above 1k rpm for a short period of time and then drop below - I am assuming just warming up but wanted to check this is normal?

Also gearbox is quite loud (on the exterior only) - googled this and seemed normal?

Also, aircon when it comes on has a very distinctive smell, wondering if this is normal? (my last car's aircon didn't work so not 100% on if this is normal or not!)

Thanks.