Ad Blue tank and a tow bar

pingo

Does anyone have a Yeti with an Ad Blue tank and a tow bar?

SUK will only allow the tow bar to be ordered if the spare wheel option is added. Maybe they relocate the Ad Bluetank into the extra space with the spare wheel if they factory fit a tow bar??

Anyway, I seem to have ordered my 2nd Yeti (as you do), but decided I wanted more boot space this time around so I wasn't keen on paying an extra £150 for a spare wheel I didn't want just so that I can have a tow bar.

My dealer has a local guy who fits all their 'dealer fitted' tow bars and he's confident that he can fit a detachable tow bar on a Yeti with an Ad Blue tank so I've ordered it on a dealer fit basis (and then it's the dealer's problem if it all goes pear shaped...)

I've no reason to think that the tow bar chappie can't do it, but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience themselves?

I'm paying the dealer to provide this service so if it doesn't work out it's his problem not mine cos I won't accept the car without it.

SUK will only allow the tow bar to be ordered if the spare wheel option is added. Maybe they relocate the Ad Bluetank into the extra space with the spare wheel if they factory fit a tow bar??

Anyway, I seem to have ordered my 2nd Yeti (as you do), but decided I wanted more boot space this time around so I wasn't keen on paying an extra £150 for a spare wheel I didn't want just so that I can have a tow bar.

My dealer has a local guy who fits all their 'dealer fitted' tow bars and he's confident that he can fit a detachable tow bar on a Yeti with an Ad Blue tank so I've ordered it on a dealer fit basis (and then it's the dealer's problem if it all goes pear shaped...)

I've no reason to think that the tow bar chappie can't do it, but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience themselves?

I'm paying the dealer to provide this service so if it doesn't work out it's his problem not mine cos I won't accept the car without it.

I have just had a tow bar fitted to a 150!!

They do not relocate the Ad-blue tank or anything else. The tow bar fits by replacing the "crash bar" inside the rear bumper, so does not extend into the body from that. 

I suspect they insist on you having the spare wheel because they do not advise towing with a tyre filled with gunge.

If you are having the dealer sub-contract the fitting do (please) ensure that the fitter knows how to code the car!! Also insist that they give you the "crash bar" they take out.

• Like 2

I've also just had a tow bar fitted and have an Ad-blue tank.

It's a removable Westfalia as used by the factory and no problems.

As Graham says the tow bar mounting rail replaces the existing one (for whichever make you have fitted) behind the bumper so no problems and no need to relocate the Ad-blue tank which would be nigh impossible anyway.

My new SE L 2.0l 150 Outdoor has the removable towbar (factory option). The normal range of tools live under the spare wheel now when in non ad blue cars they live where the ad blue tank is. The tow bar paraphernalia lives in the storage box above the ad blue tank. Perhaps this is why a spare is required, I did request a spare so don't know if it is a necessary requirement.

Thanks for the replies, I'm a bit more reassured now that I know that other Yeti-ists have had no problems with this.

SUK said

.... "This model is 2.0 TDi SCR when selecting Towbar it will force Space saver spare wheel – this is due to the fitment of the AD Blue System...."

which made me think that it was to do with the Ad Blue tank sitting where the tow bar needs to be. But I've never had either a tow bar or an Ad Blue tank so I don't know much about either of them!

I didn't want the spare wheel again because I wanted more boot space this time around and I haven't had a puncture for about 15 years. Guess what happened yesterday.......

Pingo, SUK are telling you a story!.

My new FL has both the towbar - non-removable - and the adblue with no changes to the tankage.

I kept the spare wheel and associated kit for the boot from the old Yeti, and intend to drive without a spare locally, but take the spare along on extended trips on Holidays etc.

Pingo, SUK are telling you a story!. ....

You may well be right!!

Unfortunately, even though I'd prefer a factory fit I don't have much choice because SUK also said

"We cannot request build of any independent spec of vehicle other than what is available via brochure and DOC"

Anyway, it's ordered now so it's up to the dealer to make sure the job is done properly with no squeaks, rattles or dodgy coding - and he already knows how fussy I am!

You may well be right!!

Unfortunately, even though I'd prefer a factory fit I don't have much choice because SUK also said

"We cannot request build of any independent spec of vehicle other than what is available via brochure and DOC"

Anyway, it's ordered now so it's up to the dealer to make sure the job is done properly with no squeaks, rattles or dodgy coding - and he already knows how fussy I am!

You may well be right!!

Looking on the bright side, [i stand to be corrected on this if somebody knows otherwise] whether a factory fit, or dealer fit on new car before collection, I am lead to believe you have a 3yr warranty. If the towbar was fitted after collection this would only be 12 months.

Might not sound much, but when your 1st MOT is due I believe the towbar mounts and electrics will then be part of the test.

Colin

I think eribaMotters is correct re the MOT, towbar needs to be done 100% correctly.

The ad blue tank appears to be in the very back right hand side of the car ( offside in GB).

I haven't however been given the chassis member that has been replaced by the towbar fitting, must speak to the dealer.

Pingo, SUK are telling you a story!.

My new FL has both the towbar - non-removable - and the adblue with no changes to the tankage.

I kept the spare wheel and associated kit for the boot from the old Yeti, and intend to drive without a spare locally, but take the spare along on extended trips on Holidays etc.

Why are SUV telling porkies? Cumbrian's comments make sense for stowing.

I don't think your tow bar is a factory fit (otherwise it would be removable) and hence why you didn't have to spec the spare wheel.

I intend to do the same as you, get a spare for longer trips.

You may well be right!!

If it was me I'd have the factory fit. You can always keep the spare in the garage or sell it.

I think eribaMotters is correct re the MOT, towbar needs to be done 100% correctly.

The ad blue tank appears to be in the very back right hand side of the car ( offside in GB).

I haven't however been given the chassis member that has been replaced by the towbar fitting, must speak to the dealer.

Makes sense on the warranty but I don't think there is much to go wrong and I think you will soon find out if there is a problem if using regularly.

I was given my chassis member back but it probably be going down the tip!

Next car could be the new Yeti or if another existing model I will be going for factory fit.

• Like 1

Do you have the spare wheel with your current Yeti? I changed from a "classsic"  to a FL Yeti and the dealer just transferred the spare wheel and associated gubbins to the new one.

Fred

SUK also said

Not entirely true as those with a Classic Elegance with 16" Moon alloys (also known as the UK 16" Special Build Club) can attest - you just need to go to the very top! Nobody said it was easy......

Edited by Paul52

Just get the factory fit tow bar and spare wheel.

Not much more than just getting the tow bar fitted by/via the dealer or by an independent and you know it will have been done properly and will not be subject to having the bumper and a number of trim pieces disturbed in your nice new car.

Not entirely true as those with a Classic Elegance with 16" Moon alloys (also known as the UK 16" Special Build Club) can attest - you just need to go to the very top! Nobody said it was easy......

True, in essence, but I think yours was the last one - or the last recorded here.  Things have changed over the three years since then and I wouldn't bet on success nowadays.  My Moons would go with me, should I update Annie (not planning to!), and Expatman felt the same (though now considering going elsewhere, it seems)..