New clutch flywheel now big oil leak

Hi All, I was driving about 2 weeks ago and clutch failed at 206000 miles couldnt engage gear so free wheeled to kerb and called RAC. Tow truck came forced it into gear and with some noise drove it onto tow truck.Got it to garage who advised new clutch thrust bearing and some kind of flywheel conversion kit all fitted at a cost of just over £400, car drove ok but next morning big oil patch on drive so took it back to garage who informed me when clutch went something exploded causing rubbing in gear box and wear which will need welding my question is would this be caused by a short drive on to tow truck or when clutch went originally and should it have been spotted prior to refitting of gearbox as now it all needs  to come back off which is a real pain cars not worth the amount spent on it but i cant afford new one so stuck with it. Appreciate any views Thanks Rich

Thanks for reply Thats what i thought going to wait to see what he charges me before i rant too much oil would have been apparent when it went in i would presume.

What rubbing and where?

Your words:"something exploded causing rubbing in gear box" clutch and gearbox are not the same.

Clutch is a means to connect an engine with a gearbox. With that mileage, I would expect the clutch to die: it is made of friction plates, just like brakes.

A gearbox is a sealed unit. Containing cogs and oil.

So, what did your garage say and what has he put on paper? What garage is this?

Was it engine oil or transmission oil ( you could tell by the smell)

They could of accidentally disturbed the rear main seal and it could be leaking from there.

either way it's a related failure so you've probably got a argument on your hands.

Hi all just been back to garage who,ve changed their story now saying that the bearing that goes aroung the splined shaft has collapsed causing leak and i need a new gearbox which has really screwed me.Has anyone heard of a clutch going causing this damage as i cant find anyone who has. When clutch went originally i couldnt engage gear so freewheeled to kerb and waited for RAC, tow truck driver forced it in gear and drove it onto flat bed, would this have caused damage?i,m at a loss! things break i understand but if it was caused by daftness thats what annoys me.I looked at gearbox in garage and splined shaft is slightly out of alignment. Any advice as to whether im wasting my time complaining to Rac Any Thoughts Thanks in advance . Rich

If it's just the bearing that has collapsed then you should be able to get that changed (along with the oil seal) as long as it hasn't damaged any of the gearbox internals

that sort of thing should have been noticed when they fitted the clutch - a worn input shaft bearing would be easily noticed from the amount of movement in the shaft (side to side, and possibly in and out)

Went to garage gearbox was out on the floor and he only noticed it out of line when he showed me  he said it wasnt noticeable when clutch was changed he said cage holding bearing must of collapsed and was only noticeable after new clutch was fitted and driven around 

Hi all a quick update after a discussion the garage has changed a plate which fitted around the shaft of gearbox and refitted everything fingers crossed it hasnt leaked! since garage only charged for part which was under £20 so fair bit cheaper than new box thanks all for advice