Skoda wont start

Lucy176432823

My skoda fabia wont start unless its jump started. It starts every time when jump started but when i try start it with my key there is just nothing. There used to be a clicking noise and i was told that it may have been my starter motor so i got that replaced but that made no difference. I started taking the battery out and charging it myself, the first time it lasted a week, the second time it lasted a day and now it wont even start the car.

Something is really draining my battery and i have a feeling its something to do with the electrics but how would i know if it was?

• Administrators

Hi,

The clicking noise will be the starter motor trying to turn. Whoever sold you that was having a laugh, if it starts from a jump start, then the motor is ok.

So, the real problem I think is, and you've hinted on it, the battery is empty. So it's something draining or not recharging effectively.

I'd go and get your alternator checked! After that then a drain or fault, any motor electrician should be able to solve this in minutes.

There is a real safety risk to you and others. I've had it on a mx5, jump started, drove out to the m-way, it's started right? But the battery, in this case, was a dodo and died about 10 mins later as I was on the motorway, no power, nothing... just a coasting puck on the motorway.

So it might also be the battery, how old is it?

I bump started a big van the other week of my little citigo.... he had the wipers on which almost made my citigo lunch itself when we connected, then the radio too... no wonder it was flat, it wasn't raining either!

My car is 2002, not done very many miles, its on 77k now and i bought it on 60k. The car worked fine every time and one day it just wouldnt work, and its gone down hill very quickly since.

Thank you for replying, i appreciate the help!

• Administrators

Mileage is not an indicator, although the old thinking was a 'start' took around 20mins to recharge. More if in stop start traffic.

2002, if the original battery, more than a high chance the battery isn't as good as it once was. My mx battery failed after 10, but it was a small one and a known challenge for the model.

But before you blow cash on a new battery, get the alternator checked out.

• 2 weeks later...

As Colin says, this is almost certainly alternator, alternator sense wire or battery.

Look in your local Yellow Pages for an "auto electrician", and ask him to call. He'll probably give you a diagnosis as to which it is for free as long as he gets the business for the replacement.

Edited by KenONeill

• 4 weeks later...