Favorit 1.8 GTI future project

Maverick22

Hello.

I am gathering information and preparing for a project of turning Favorit Silver Line in to a Favorit GTI.

Plan is to put 1.8 engine from MK1 Golf. So questions are:

1. Chasis possibilities. Is stock Favorit chasis possible to indure 115 BHP from that engine without any additional strenghtening? Are strut bars enough for stretgening or does it need a full body strengthening? As i recall Favorit Group A car had 118 BHP but i dont know if it was on stock chasis.

2. Puting in an 1.8 engine. I read that with 1.9D felicia engine mounts it is possible to put it in with minimum adjustments. What do i need to watch over when i do this procedure?

3. Gearbox. Does a Favorit or Felicia gearbox fit on 1.8 engine? Is it strong enough to endure 118 BHP or is it better to put on original gearbox from 1.8 engine. If i put original VW gearbox i have to change a complete front end?

4. Brakes. Favorit has front disc and rear drum brakes. Should i stick with that setup and just upgrade front brakes with bigger callipers and ventilated disk or shoud i mount rear disk too?

Thanks for answers.

as far as I know favorit is same as felicia underneath. So what felly is capable of goes for favorit too.

As for gearbox I don't know but I doubt a standard favorit one would be a strait fit.

breaks - is possible to do a rear disc conversion and bigger front if you want. Look to the 1.8T felicia thread.

If I was going for that much work I would take in consideration something with more power.

i was at a Croatian MOT and all mods are possible but everything has to be "A-tested" and approoved. This is why i am not going for a drastic power upgrade.

I have decided that the motor will run on carburetors so i will set k-jettronic asside for some time.

Regarding the chasis, i think that strut bars on front and rear should be enough for 115 BHP. Front suspension and drivetrain are going to have to be Felicias. Front brakes are going to be upgraded to ventilated and that means no can do with 13" wheels anymore. Rear can be left on drums.

Gearbox should be from a Felicia 1.9D, and according to some talkings it should fit on nicely. So when i find a Felicia "donor" i think that project will be on its way. We'll see.

Another thinking is to put Skoda engine inside that fits on the bolt, so MOT is not an issue, but i dont know what engine and what can i do with it to get it to 100BHP at least.

I saw stock 1.3 engines with some kind of karbs from motorcycles, but i dont know anything about that. Anyone knows information about that?

you can run them on motorcycle carbs yes, but this creates another problem with emissions and MOT.

I don't know if somebody has done a 1.4 16v AFH engine conversion in a favorit but I think it is similar to the felicia one and you have 100bhp out of the box. (an alternative maybe)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/205350-my-autotest-felicia-8v-16v/page-1

The Felicia and Favorit engine bays are very similar if not quite identical so I'm sure the above conversions shouldn' be too difficult. You should probably be looking for a Felicia 1.6 donor car though, not a diesel. The converter plate between the 1.6 and the gearbox will fit the AFH engine.

You could do with the anti roll bar off the Felicia too and may have to swap the front suspension subframe to fit it. I've only had my Favorit for two weeks and haven't had a chance to get underneath and compare it with the Felicia yet.

It would be nice if you could get the power steering on too if you are going for bigger wheels.

Good luck with the project, I look forward to seeing how it goes.

my plan was to put front felly suspension because it's a lot stiffer and it has harder selen blocks. i am shooting for a 15" wheels.

the main thing that attracts me in this project with 1.4 16v/1.6 16v is that i just need to make one engine mount adjustment (was watching comparison from felly and fav engine bay and i think that they are same)

now the other thing is i dont know anything about theese two engines. i had 1.4 MPI (2000 fabia) and i have 1.4 16v but 86 BHP now. None of thoose 2 above seem to be related with them so my mechanical knowledge is 0.

The tutorial above is great.

Also i browsed twhro our local sales sites and found almost none 1.4 100BHP engines or 1.6 125 BHP engines, so that is going to be a lottery.

What are main flaws on 1.4 and 1.6 engines?

Doable ;-) Im from the other side. 3km from Italian border near Lipica :rofl:

Interesting that we are talking on a UK site :D .

Anyway I've done the 1.6 16V AFH transplant. Probably much easier than sticking anything else in there. The difficult part is finding all parts needed to do it. AFH engines are getting rare. There was one in the scrap yard near Zagreb. Took the engine ecu for mine ;-)