Arranging a test drive of new, but buying used

We're looking to buy a 2-3 year old Octavia VRS petrol.

Having never actually driven one before, I'd like to have a drive of one before we definitely commit to buy one. 

Would it be considered cheeky to arrange a test drive of a new VRS with a local dealership even though we have no intention of buying a car from them? (they don't have any used in stock near our budget).

I've driven cars I had no intention of buying, I test drove a 1.2 TSI Monte Carlo that was out of my price range , that was about 2 months before buying mine, and I test drove the Monte that my dad now ownes after he test drove it. He test drove it told the dealer he was buying it then I drove it, so the dealer knew I wasn't going to be buying it anyway.

Just go in there with an excuse though  "I'm just going to test drive another car before I make up my mind"

But still, and a rule that should always apply, always test drive the car you are buying. Don't agree to buy a car if you haven't driven that exact one.

That's what they're there for - there's no guarantee you'll like the car.

I've recently found I really have to work for a test drive (SEAT, VW, Peugot, I'm looking at you here - why would I agree a price before I know if I like the car?!)

But I'd not feel bad about it. I'd never do the same to a private seller though.

Take it for a spin, pull up back at the dealers, look them straight in the eyes and go 'nnnnnnaaaaaahhhh' and walk away. No obligation at all.

Always risky though, you may end up talking yourself into buying it....

• Like 2

I've test driven loads of cars.

Normally I just tell the truth and say I don't know what I'm looking for but thought xyz car was worth a closer look.

If they are quiet then usually they are quite happy to let you have a short test. Saturday morning you might not get out.

Some dealers are more forthcoming than others. I looked at a Cee'd GT and the dealer said I couldn't test drive it unless I was prepared to do a deal before driving it. I pointed out that what if I didn't like it and then said I would. Went elsewhere and drove.

Some of those Sales Executives (sales people) are a bit loath to give up for test drives the perk Demonstrator they are driving as their daily drive and which has some of their personal gear in.

Some demonstrators that are nicely specced up with someone in the Dealership having already baggsed it for buying once it becomes the Dealerships in 3,000 miles / 3 months are not so easy to get a test drive of.

Now some are with Dealerships for 6 months so that they earn their way as Demonstrators, yet only 'special customers' might get a bit of a run out in them.

Perk of the job with so many Demonstrators these days.  Well at some Dealerships.