DTUK Box fitted

Just a quick and brief experience of my dealings with Andy personally in purchasing the box. I purchased the CRD3 + for my March 2014 Octavia VRS CR Diesel manual. Andy's commitment in helping me choosing one and help in setting it up today has been second to none, he really does go out of his way, unlike the majority of companies out there. Andy even rang me late afternoon to see if all was ok from his mobile.

Got it all set up and it's totally transferred the car into not only an easier and different car to drive, but also a fair bit more punch.

Installation is extremely easy with good step by step instructions with coloured photos.

I'll update this thread in a weeks time when I've done some more miles.

Again big thanks to Andy & Simon at DTUK.

Nice one - what map settings are you using?

To be honest I've still not got my head around the programmes lol but Andy suggested I set it to, and wait for it as wrote it down too lol I did alter it but can't recall what it was on and it felt to punchy. This setting feels nice and smooth all the way to the red line.

Above the + symbol it's on +1 giving a red led.

Above the program button +2 giving me a yellow.

Nothing lite up above the minus buttons.

Cheers

Andy.

To be honest I've still not got my head around the programmes lol but Andy suggested I set it to, and wait for it as wrote it down too lol I did alter it but can't recall what it was on and it felt to punchy. This setting feels nice and smooth all the way to the red line.

Cheers

Andy.

Yeah thats 1+2 - its the sport setting with +2 power.

Is your a DSG or manual?

• Like 1

Ha still getting my head round it as always had maps in the past. It's Manual dude yours is DSG isn't it ?

Yeah mine is the DSG.

The maps are supposed to be

1 - Sport

2 - Dynamic

3 - Efficiency

Not sure that's how they are on the actual units as some of the newer ones are coming with a different map for 3.

What ever the case it sure does help give the 184 the urgency it deserves.

Yeah mine is the DSG.

The maps are supposed to be

1 - Sport

2 - Dynamic

3 - Efficiency

Not sure that's how they are on the actual units as some of the newer ones are coming with a different map for 3.

What ever the case it sure does help give the 184 the urgency it deserves.

Yeah I've worked that on out thanks Karl Andy said all the maps give out the same figures, just alters the way the power is delivered.

I've done about 200 miles since yesterday and the cars much happier to sit in a higher gear at lower rpm just like my previous mapped Octavia. And according to the trip 3 mpg up on the the long term. Will see when I've done a few brim to brim fills. But my monies on it being better.

i think the trip must be a bit out on mine, usually on my 20 mile trip to work i get late 50's sometimes early 60's

today i got 75

i know they said it improves it but not sure thats correct, i guess brim to brim will be the proper answer but only 90 miles into it

I think it has been mentioned before. The box fools the trip computer a bit by the way it produces the extra power. Do a couple of measured fill-ups and a compensation can be added with VCDS to make the trip read correctly.

I think it has been mentioned before. The box fools the trip computer a bit by the way it produces the extra power. Do a couple of measured fill-ups and a compensation can be added with VCDS to make the trip read correctly.

Yeah I've read, that brim to brim a few times will be my only answer.

well if its something like 11% that still makes it nearly 67 mpg, ill take that any day :)

Don't think it works linear like that - it's close though.

With my box set to maximum power +2 I found the best MPG I could ever get was 63 and that was a long stretch of 50mph roadworks limited motorway speed.

General tank to tank was around 51mpg.

Like yours during very careful driving it would have gone up to 70+mpg

The 11% VCDS correction then made the MPG match my brim to brim calcs +\- 1

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1

Set mine on program 1 plus 3 earlier and it's even more fun to drive. Will give it more of a test over the weekend certainly feels even more eager.

Let me know how you get on with +3 

IIRC it can cause issues with limp home etc...

If it'll take it then I'll give it a shot too.

Let me know how you get on with +3

IIRC it can cause issues with limp home etc...

If it'll take it then I'll give it a shot too.

Done about 200 miles since I set it. 100 miles run today no issues car is much nicer to drive and punchier. Yeah I've read that to I'm liaising with Andy on the different maps. Going to try another one on way home think it was map 3.

ive just done 70 miles prog 1 with +2 and again all is good but i cant notice if theres any real difference, has Andy said what the +1+2 etc actually do to each prog? and also the -1, -2 etc?

if i have to do enough miles on each of the 18 settings to find the best its gonna take some time and ill prolly have forgotten what each of the earliest tried ones felt like by the time i get to the last

• Like 1

ive just done 70 miles prog 1 with +2 and again all is good but i cant notice if theres any real difference, has Andy said what the +1+2 etc actually do to each prog? and also the -1, -2 etc?

if i have to do enough miles on each of the 18 settings to find the best its gonna take some time and ill prolly have forgotten what each of the earliest tried ones felt like by the time i get to the last

Your best bet will be to contact Andy or Simon on Monday. From what I can gather just ignore the minus setting above the - as there isn't any as such. It's just there to minus the P and + settings.

I did P button on 3 which means third led lit and all lights lit above + and found it not so good.

Ring Andy or Simon Monday be the best bet. Just don't forget all settings give the same power just in a different way. Hope this helps as I may be wrong. Hence speak to Andy who will be more than willing to help.

Edited by Lew0-VRS

I've just ordered one of these for my VRS Tdi, I've done about 750 miles in it now and it's performing better than I thought a diesel would, but can't wait to get that bit more out of it

I'm after that bit more mpg for sitting on the motorway in 6th.

If you change your map in the car on the VRS button, does that adjust ths DTUK box? Or would you need to manually change it on the box's buttons? I'm tending to keep it in Individual mode with all the bits set to how I like them (the same as VRS but no engine noises)

I've just ordered one of these for my VRS Tdi, I've done about 750 miles in it now and it's performing better than I thought a diesel would, but can't wait to get that bit more out of it

I'm after that bit more mpg for sitting on the motorway in 6th.

If you change your map in the car on the VRS button, does that adjust ths DTUK box? Or would you need to manually change it on the box's buttons? I'm tending to keep it in Individual mode with all the bits set to how I like them (the same as VRS but no engine noises)

The DTUK box will make no difference to the mode and vice versa.

All the mode button in car does is sport setting

Heavier steering more responsive throttle plus louder sound generator. Air con is also run on a stronger profile along with the adaptive headlights

Normal mode

Lighter steering

Air con I'm not sure of

Steering is lighter

Adaptive lights just a tad slower to respond to sreering angle/ bit I've not personally noticed this.

Eco turns Air con down

Same light sreering as normal mode

Adaptive headlights unsure

From reading on here for quite some time

Basically normal mode is what you want for best fuel. Sport for that sporty feel.

Personally I resorted to individual so run it at

Steering normal / so light

Engine sport / sound generator louder and engine a rd more responsive to throttle.

Air con normal so same as it would sit in sport. But you can I think set air con the weak in the setup on the climatronoc.

Hand book pretty much shows it all but as per your initial question the box won't alter the modes in car. But you will hear\feel a diffrence on changing the Modes in car with or without the DTUK box installed.

Edited by Lew0-VRS
  • Like 2

i know on the eco the headlights are static, the air con is warmer and the pedal is slower to respond - I've found it to be a sleepy, travelling mode

the normal is the best all rounder I've found, with the sport mode just adding heavier steering if you're doing some spirited driving, but it's a hindrance if you forget to turn it  off and wonder into a town environment. 

the other reason I'm keen to see how the DTUK box does is when I'm towing my motorbike trailer (250kg ish). It's alright getting going and what not, but I find I often need to keep it in 5th at 60mph, rather than 6th on the motorway as it sometimes sounds that bit laboured.

The cruise control does it's best to keep it at 60, but that would really help on the economy front.

• Like 1

Cheers

Andy.

Yeah thats 1+2 - its the sport setting with +2 power.

Is your a DSG or manual?

I think that's 2+1?

Regarding issues with limp mode, I've found that +2 and +3 on any programme has resulted in limp mode; each time when accelerating hard uphill and changing gear manually with the paddle shift, it's as if the DSG can't cope with the additional power and throws a wobbly. Switch off & on again and all is fine, but downright dangerous if mid-overtake...   :S

Great for overtaking when it's all working though  :devil:

I suspect that it's some kind of overboost protection. I had a mental Fiesta turbo back in the day that did the same.

I've been doing some spirited driving in map 2 with the +2 power without an issue.

Didn't like map 3 as I found it surged even at a constant stead throttle. 

Edit - my car is only 13 months old but I think I'll be remapping it properly when the warranty expires.

Edited by KarlO3V5